Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I need a bit of help and recommendations for some brake pads.

I have already switched out to stainless lines (Spiegler from Stoltec) and for the streets/canyons the brakes work just fine, however on the track where I am trying to hold it open as long as possible on the straights and still make it back down to a reasonable corner entry speed, it feels like the brakes don't quite bite hard enough.

I am looking for higher performance pads than the stock ones.

Anyone with any recommendations? If so, can you post up links or info the specific ones that fit the FZ?

Thanks,

Kirk

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Stock pads for track days are a big no no. I totally glassed the EBC HH pads I had, even glassed them riding hard at the Dragon. I switch ti EBC HH Pro... a bit bettter. Not as much initial bite but very good. Nick tested another set (Galfers I think...) I liked them better. That should be my next track pads to test.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Not sure if Vesrah makes pads for the bike, but if they do, the RJL's are a great track day/Race pad.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I'm using dp sintered pads.
Noticeable improvement for me, no trackdays, just fast road and commutes.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Reactions: marthy

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
It would probably be considered "overkill" if someone was just a very casual rider/commuter. To be honest, I've found the OEM pads that came on the bike pretty good overall, but then again, I don't track the FZ09. If I did, there would be a set of the Vesrah RJLs on the front. The biggest issue with FZ09 brakes is not really the brakes........it's the amount of front end dive of the forks during hard braking. Get that issue resolved and the front brakes are decent to pretty good. Keep in mind though, I changed the stock lines to the Spiegler stainless braided lines right after I first bought the bike as I knew that I wasn't a "casual rider".

My first set of RJLs on the track bike lasted me a little over 4 complete track day seasons.....approx. 60 to 65 track days....and I'm a very hard braker and most of the time, I'm braking all the way to the apex, so I consider the longevity of the RJLs to be very good. I'm sure they would last for years on a street bike and also provide a very good setup for hard braking if you needed/wanted it.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I see where you already ordered the EBC HH pads, but I'm going to post up a link for the Vesrah RJL's for the FZ09 anyway......they are a fantastic brake pad. I've used them on my track bike for the past 4 or 5 years and I just love em....

Vesrah Yamaha FZ-09 14 RJL Front Brake Pads from SportbikeTrackGear.com
Did you experience with different compound or always use the RJL? As far as initial bite, would they compare to the EBC HH or EBC HH Pro? On my setup I prefer the HH Pro with less initial bite than the normal HH pads.

Thanks for the link...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have experience with EBC HH, Vesrah RJL and some other brake pads.

EBC HH is half the price, they are great brake pads for street riding and thats what I would choose for my fz09. If there are some vesrah's at the same price point, id pick them up because im just a vesrah fan. if not then id get the ebc HH because they are solid brake pads.

Some differences that the RJL's provide performance wise vs EBC HH, you may not notice them until youre going a pretty good pace around the track with a lot of real hard braking. Yeah they do have a nice initial bite but some people may find them too sensitive.but the best way to figure this out is next round of brake pads try out some different ones. I read in one of your posts you ordered some EBC HH, i think you will be very happy. its one of those things that you'll have to try and find your personal preference. but for right now I think youve gone up in performance and it'll solve any issues you had at the track

1 - 11 of 11 Posts