Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Having a problem with my brake light not turning on now and I’m pretty sure it happened after I changed out my battery after the old one died. The blinkers and the running light still work but not the brake. I checked all the fuses under the seat and on the right front of the bike and none of them are blown. I also disconnected and reconnected the wires to the brake light and still nothing. Previous owner has installed some sort of tail delete and but he doesn’t know the brand. Any ideas? From my research I may have disconnected the brake light from the battery but I don’t remember unplugging anything from the battery other than the trickle charger.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yeah, would need more info on your problem:

1. Aftermarket brake lights?

2. Why did you change battery?

3. Any "other" wires connected to the battery?

4. Did you trace the wiring for the "some sort of tail delete"??? Maybe previous owner did a hack job and you touching it made it fall apart?

5. Do you have the service manual for your specific bike? Did you check the wiring diagram for your specific bike?

6. What specific bike, make, year do you have???

Your post is rather vague.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, would need more info on your problem:

1. Aftermarket brake lights?

2. Why did you change battery?

3. Any "other" wires connected to the battery?

4. Did you trace the wiring for the "some sort of tail delete"??? Maybe previous owner did a hack job and you touching it made it fall apart?

5. Do you have the service manual for your specific bike? Did you check the wiring diagram for your specific bike?

6. What specific bike, make, year do you have???

Your post is rather vague.
Sorry I’ll be more specific.
1. Yeah it’s some aftermarket tail light but I can’t find any info on the brand. It looks pretty ghetto.

2. I changed out the battery because the old one died on me and wouldn’t hold a charge.

3.The only wires that are connected to the battery were the ones that normally connect to it to give the bike power and the cables for the trickle charger.

4. After doing some tracing it definitely looks like a hack job. There was a big clump of wires with electrical tape around them and after unraveling it there was a lot of wires soldered together with heat shrunk cover. I was able to get all the coverings off except for the brown and yellow wire, which I believe to be the break light from some trial and error.

5/6. 2017 is the model and I don’t have the service manual.

I’m fairly certain it has something to do with the hack job wiring this guy did now. I’m going to take some pictures tomorrow during the daytime and post them.

·
Registered
451 Posts
What are the results of your checks? Did you find the issue?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the results of your checks? Did you find the issue?
Yeah I found the issue after a lot of searching. I eventually found the tail light on amazon and was able to figure out what each wire was for. The brake light wire was shorted out so I wound up just re-buying the same tail light because the bracket was already installed. I cleaned up the messy solder job and haven’t had any issues since then.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I love that people want to DIY, but the mentality of "I don't need a ****ing manual" kills me. How do you expect to do shit right without learning shit. I mean... hack solder job??? GEEZUS! Wires shorted??? Seriously?

I did the exact same... a hack job with electrical tape when I replaced my blinkers to LED's. I felt so horrible I did that and immediately invested in buying a Yamaha connector/terminal kit from Motorcycle Terminals, Connectors, and Wiring Accessories so that I could make it look factory.

Haven't done it yet... cause you know... procrastination... and my hack job has lasted perfectly for 2 years now. LMAO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts