Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from work today the brake bleeder backed out on me and I of course lost brake pressure. I was able to stop, tighten the bleeder and ride home with some front brake pressure. The left front pads ended up getting some fluid on them. Should i replace them or clean the crap out of them with brake cleaner?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
clean the 'crap' out of them..

Also, check your wheels, bike engine and surrounding areas thoroughly incase some fluid got flung.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
personally I would replace the pads..they are not terribly expensive, but they are terribly important.
The brake fluid has no doubt soaked into the pads, and you will never get it out. ..for a few bucks its not worth compromising what is arguably the most important part of the motorcycle ..

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You can try gradually heating the friction surface with a torch until the pad just starts to smoke. It worked for me when brake cleaner didn't. Don't forget to clean your disc also.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i cleaned the pads and sanded the surfaces with some super fine sand papper. I also rebleeded the brakes. Im going to order some new pads too. Also cleaned the rotor, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts