·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spiegler
Fren Tubo
Venhill
Galfer

I'm upgrading lines and pads with some Christmas money I received. What is your preference?

I'd like to keep the stock routing.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Just got in Spieglers my Mom is getting me for Christmas..they look great should have no problems...On my other bike FZ1 I have Galfer and have never had any problems and have been on the bike for 12 years.....I do not think you would have any problems with any of the ones u listed...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been itching to get some Spieglers for my FZ-09 when I get the cash. Always used them on my race bikes. Excellent quality and they offer superb feel at the lever. Don't know much about the other brands as I've never used any of them, but I know a lot of people love Galfer. Spiegler has both configurations available- stock and double line from mc down. They also come in a wide range of colors.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got the spieglers and had no problems installing them. Personally I'd spend my money elsewhere unless you plan on flogging the s!$) out of the bike.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I put a full set of Galfers (including clutch line) on my FJR a few years back. The fittings were perfectly formed and oriented and they have performed flawlessly. I bought a set of Spieglers from Nick for both ends of my FZ and they are quality pieces as well. They ship with a set of tools to adjust your fitting angle if need be. I did have to do some adjusting on both the front and rear. It is very simple with the included tools. One caveat: If you do adjust the fittings, make sure you only turn the fitting one direction, don't try to back up. I went with the stock arrangement on the front - a single line from the master down to the left caliper and the loop over the fender to the right caliper. I also upgraded to the EBC HH pads. The combination of braided lines and the aggressive pads made a very noticeable improvement in brake feedback. I'm sure you would be happy with either Galfers or Spieglers.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the HH pads, not installed, I think I will order Spiegler tomorrow, smoke/titanium.

Thanks bros.

I need some small projects to keep me busy this winter. Akra carbon and ECU flash as well. Then, wait 3 months to test it all out!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
The venhills have more adjustability because the banjos are separate, you can get the angles just right. Or if you change to a radial front master, you can just change the banjo and keep the line.
As you can tell, I'm a fan of venhills, and have had their lines on a few bikes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have the Speigler black with titanium fittings. They don't jump out at you. I also like the adjustment tools to tweek (align) them perfectly. Other than that, as to the different brand of lines and their functioning, I've not noticed any differences.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Spiegler with EBC HH pads here, and everyone raves about my monster braking power. I took Tripplethreats advice and ziptied my lever in overnight and the results were amazing. I had Goodrige on my CBR and they were excellent too.

I did have to file down my brake light trigger to get the light to come on.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like I can't go wrong with any of them.

I decided to keep the 09, and have a little over $5k in my motorcycle slush fund to play with, so I want a few tweaks. It will make the first ride in the spring a little more exciting!

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I'm wanting to order longer braided lines to accommodate my raised bar (GPR) setup
and when I order custom lines I figure an extra 2 inches over would give me enough
strain relief.
~fish

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've had a variety, Spiegler, Goodridge, Cobra, Hel performance. All much the same. Hel was the cheapest, Spiegler the most expensive.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Sounds like I can't go wrong with any of them.

I decided to keep the 09, and have a little over $5k in my motorcycle slush fund to play with, so I want a few tweaks. It will make the first ride in the spring a little more exciting!
Ummm- that much will get you a turbo.
Hop to it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Excellent choice on smoke/Titanium, that is exactly what I put on my LQ.
I have the HH pads, not installed, I think I will order Spiegler tomorrow, smoke/titanium.

Thanks bros.

I need some small projects to keep me busy this winter. Akra carbon and ECU flash as well. Then, wait 3 months to test it all out!

·
Registered
768 Posts
+1 for Spieglers. The adjustment tool came in handy when one of the rear banjo fittings was off a bit.
They look, fit and work as intended.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Wire

Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part

Auto part Vehicle Car Engine Automotive exterior

Auto part Brake Tire Vehicle brake Suspension

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I'm not set on the two line setup, it's just that I've never bled a system like the stock FZ setup and it looks like a bit more work to get all of the air out.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Could someone give me the measurements for the upgraded two line setup?
I'm wanting to order longer braided lines to accommodate my raised bar (GPR) setup
and when I order custom lines I figure an extra 1.5 inch over would give me enough
strain relief. ~fish
I'd suggest telling Spiegler you want one of their off-the-shelf configurations for the FZ 09 except with the line(s) going to the master cylinder 1.5 inches longer. If you place a completely custom order then you have to figure about what bends etc you want for the fittings.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I'd suggest telling Spiegler you want one of their off-the-shelf configurations for the FZ 09 except with the line(s) going to the master cylinder 1.5 inches longer. If you place a completely custom order then you have to figure about what bends etc you want for the fittings.
Thanks Bob, that could work. I was going to see about cost from a shop over at PDK Airport near my house. Same day service and very good quality.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, after much thought, I went with Venhill. Honestly, it was because I didn't have to spend an extra $45 to get banjo bolts. Venhill includes them, Spiegler does not. $170 shipped for front and rear lines, with the banjos of my choosing.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Those are nice no doubt ...but I got my Spiegler from MotoMummy @ $156 shipped just last week

1 - 20 of 42 Posts