Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Bought the PUIG sport screen. Don't like it. Anyone have the ZeroGravity?

9K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Ricoduck 
#1 ·
Self-explanatory title. Only thread that popped up in search that really mentioned the zero gravity is a year old and when they were still testing. It would appear it's been out for a while now - anyone bought one? The intermediate looks like it's still a couple inches taller than the Puig one - Puig's barely clears the gauges. Main thing I don't like about Puig is I still get a crapload of wind at freeway speeds, and it's loud and extremely noisy wind at 30-40mph around town. It was quieter and more comfortable on the bike without the damn thing at 30-40, and doesn't seem to help at all at freeway speeds. I'm 5'11" so maybe I'm just too tall for the short screen I dunno.

Anyway, does anyone around my height have the Zero Gravity intermediate screen? I'm hesitant to go spend $180 when I already spent $120 or so on Puig's and got something that basically does nothing but look good.

#2 ·
It might be due to your height.. I am 5'6" and I love my Puig Sport.. The wind hits me around my shoulders height and doesn't necessarily make too much noise in my opinion.. I guess this is one of those times where being short is OK. :)

#3 ·
Get the Puig touring instead. I waited till the touring screen was back in stock because I knew the sport was going to do nada for wind protection. Haven't come across a Zero Gravity screen in my searches for the FZ to be honest. Only the Givi and Puig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I have the Puig Touring screen and am pretty happy with it. I'm 5'11" and get no turbulence. There's a little wind noise at my helmet that goes away if I crouch. I tilted it forward as much as I could given the upper bolt length and it helped. I plan to get longer bolts to tilt it another quarter inch which should make it just about perfect. No noise whatsoever at lower speeds.

Take a look at Hawkerjets windscreen posts. He really likes his latest choice.

#6 ·
I had the Yamaha Cowl cover (and correctly stated - it looked good, but wasn't functional) and now have the Puig Touring Screen. The Puig is marginally better than the cowl cover. I plan to tilt mine forward and see if that helps. Thanks for the tip!

#7 ·
Reactions: Cecil
#10 · (Edited)
I recall seeing one wind screen that guaranteed that parabolic heat effect would never happen, I just don't recall which one it was????

I have used the MRA Vario Touring Screen with the adjustable spoiler on another bike, and never had any issues with any heat effects. I also try to park so the front of the bike is aimed toward the sun, but more to try and keep any direct sunlight off the instrument cluster.

#11 ·
I'm 6'1" and have the Zero G Intermediate. Its very effective against wind and would recommend it. As for the dash melting, that happened to my sport bike when I had the clear screen installed. I then switched to the smoke screen and the issue went away. So as long as you stick with a smoke / tinted screen you'll be okay.

#17 ·
I'm with Tunnel, The ZG just looks like it should have been on the bike from the get go but was left off..... Its dearer, but so is the Yamaha fly screen for all the good it does... the rest that I have seen are just 'add-ons' where function is the only criteria on the design table. Ermax was my top choice as it has some form until I came across the ZG.

#14 ·
The radius of "double bubble" screens can act like a magnifying glass in essence (easier to explain it that way than explaining parabolic effect). It's rare but I has happened. Typically dark smoked screens aren't as likely to cause this as light smoked and clear. Most factory screens are relatively flat in comparison which prevents the concentration of light and thus doesn't damage plastics on the motorcycle.

#16 · (Edited)
I had the Ermax 25 and it was decent for what it was... a fly screen.

Then got the Puig Sport and it was better. More laminar flow and just a tad better wind protection.

Recently got the MRA racing and it is considerable better and looks great. Much better wind protection both higher and wider.

MRA Double-Bubble RacingScreen Windshield for FZ-09 14-15 - SoloMotoParts.com

Has not melted anything or caused a forest fire to date.

Got Smokey the Bear's attention though.:rolleyes:

#19 ·
Replied to your thread about the swap.

Sorry it takes me a few days to check in intermittently - I'm pretty slammed with school and soon-to-be work as well. Currently studying Computer Science (and just got hired, though not in an engineer position, at a certain very large well known tech company in the bay area :D). 6 classes right now and we're in the last month so projects and mid terms and ramping up to finals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.