Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I picked up this 2014 fz09 with an upgraded suspension. I was hoping someone can help me clear up some questions I have about the forks.
From the attached pictures, am I correct in saying that the cartridge is OEM and only the springs and valves were upgraded? Also are these springs a good choice? I am about 180lbs without gear. The suspension feels great but then again I have nothing to compare it too. My rear shock is Penske double clicker with Eibach spring. Thanks in advance!

David

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
David, welcome into the fold. Other than the color you made a great choice. :p You should be able to call up that tuner and given the previous owners name or maybe VIN, they should be able to supply you with all the details you need if not a work order. What you really need to know is the weight of the previous owner for which the suspension was tuned for and the type of riding he had it tuned for.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David, welcome into the fold. Other than the color you made a great choice. :p You should be able to call up that tuner and given the previous owners name or maybe VIN, they should be able to supply you with all the details you need if not a work order. What you really need to know is the weight of the previous owner for which the suspension was tuned for and the type of riding he had it tuned for.
haha it actually looks good in person I was skeptical. The p.o was 190lb and also the forks have 5wt oil. Ill contact the tuner that is a good idea

Reactions: Lateralus

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not letting me post a pic of the springs right now. They are K-tech. The tuner only set the sag. Inalso have a ziploc with valves and other parts of the internals of the fork I assume

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome David, You are correct about the oem carts. You didn't say what size springs are in there? But from the setting on the fork you would be nose diving when you hit the brakes hard if the stock springs were still in there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will get back with the size later today, thanks!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
It is very hard to tell what is inside a fork without taking the fork apart.

Here are a few things to look for:
Your stock right fork cap appears as shown above. The screwdriver adjustment is for adjusting the rebound damping in the right fork.
You stock left fork cap is missing the screwdriver adjustment in the middle as the stock left fork has on a spring preload adjuster. The spring preload adjuster has a hex head at the top and lines around the perimeter to indicate how many lines of preload are applied to the spring.

If the cartridges were replaced to give you adjustable compression and rebound damping then, in all conversions I have heard of, the right fork is modified to provide adjustable compression damping and the right fork cap is replaced with a fork cap that has an adjuster in the center, similar to the rebound adjuster on the left fork cap. Some conversions replace both fork caps, some conversions install a right fork cap on the left fork.

If the valves were replaced with better valving, it is hard to know what is installed without documentation and/or disassembling the fork to see.

If it were my bike I would tear the forks down to find out what has been done but not everyone is as anal about suspension as I am.

If you just want to get it set up for you as good as it can be, take it to a shop that knows suspension and ask them to help you set up the suspension.

You can also read a couple of books like the Paul Thede's book on suspension set up. Paul Thede is one of the founders at Racetech and seems to know his stuff better than most.

Reactions: David08awd

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If you can't get the info from the suspension guys, set the sag.
I used 42 mm front and 38or so on the rear, and it seemed good to me. Check threads from stoltec or marthy for measurement, maybe.
Or Google.
If you can get the right sag measurements using the preload adjustment, then you have the right springs.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
To the OP: Welcome -- Smart move buying a bike with the suspension already upgraded. Too bad we all couldn't have done that while buying New from Yammy.:(

If I were you I'd contact the PO to ask these lingering questions .....a 3-5 minute conversation could solve many many mysteries.:)

Good luck & Enjoy your new love.:p

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nice bike. Both you and the previous owner should be in the .90 kg/mm range for the front springs, but there's the possibility that he went with a .95 kg/mm spring for more aggressive riding. Does the bike have the emissions block off plates and a tuner as well?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If it has an after market ECU reflash, be warry of taking it to a Yamaha dealer for any kind of work. Some of them always check to see if you have the latest factory programming version and if not, will overwrite the after market programming. I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice bike. Both you and the previous owner should be in the .90 kg/mm range for the front springs, but there's the possibility that he went with a .95 kg/mm spring for more aggressive riding. Does the bike have the emissions block off plates and a tuner as well?
hey no block off plates and just the factory reflash. I have an akro and took the baffle out today to get rid of the itch I had to hear it. It actually runs noticeable worse with no baffle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it has an after market ECU reflash, be warry of taking it to a Yamaha dealer for any kind of work. Some of them always check to see if you have the latest factory programming version and if not, will overwrite the after market programming. I found that out the hard way.
only has the factory reflash as far as I am aware. I took the baffle out of my akro and it appears to need a reflash to run properly, runs alot better with the baffle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Vcyclenut can fix this for you $80 and that bike will purr like a kitten and groul like a tiger.
Good to know! I reinstalled for now. Whats the factory warranty on these, I am second owner.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I don't think you'll get a warranty being 2nd owner? I'm talking about vcyclenut reflashing your ecu so it runs better. He can flash it for your akra. Titaniam pipe with or without the db killer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gotcha. Yea I was just asking about warranty cause I wasnt sure if that flash would void anything

·
Registered
806 Posts
The dealer can't tell if it was flashed or not. David
Is a supporting vender here on the forum. (Vcyclenut) so do some reading on his threads I don't think you will find anybody saying anything bad about him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts