Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at iron pony picking up some parts for my old Japanese bikes at saw the fz-09 for the first time. I went home with it that day after a little research on the google.

This is my first modern bike and I love it. I normally ride super stripped down racer style bikes from the 70's that weight about 200 lbs. I have built and ridden many modern turbo and nitrous bikes for friends but just never liked full plastic bikes.

I put 980 miles on the bike the first weekend I owned it. It was fun changing the oil at 600 miles in the hotel parking lot 380 miles from my house. Super comfortable and pretty quick for a light, upright bike. I agree the suspension is a little soft even with my 5'11" and 160lbs frame, if you were any heavier I can truly see a problem with the soft suspension.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Tons of fun, isn't it? :) But what we really want to know is: (drumroll please) What color is it?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Was at iron pony picking up some parts for my old Japanese bikes at saw the fz-09 for the first time. I went home with it that day after a little research on the google.

This is my first modern bike and I love it. I normally ride super stripped down racer style bikes from the 70's that weight about 200 lbs. I have built and ridden many modern turbo and nitrous bikes for friends but just never liked full plastic bikes.

I put 980 miles on the bike the first weekend I owned it. It was fun changing the oil at 600 miles in the hotel parking lot 380 miles from my house. Super comfortable and pretty quick for a light, upright bike. I agree the suspension is a little soft even with my 5'11" and 160lbs frame, if you were any heavier I can truly see a problem with the soft suspension.
I always thought that the bucket in the hotel was for oil changes until someone told me it was for ice. I guess the extra towels are for people, not bikes. I have been kicked out of a motel for bringing my motocross bikes in the room when on the road racing. I always asked for a ground floor room because of my back. It was harder on my back to get them up the stairs.

Welcome.

·
Registered
260 Posts
...saw the fz-09 for the first time. I went home with it that day after a little research on the google.
Welcome to the madness. Great choice for a modern day machine!
You were fortunate to be able to walk in and walk out the same day with your purchase. My acquisition occurred over a 4 week period. Have had mine for less than two weeks.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Welcome! Have any pics of your other classic rides?

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the FZ09 addiction. I'm guessing that since you bought your bike at the Pony, you live in Ohio. There are several of us from OH-IO on forum that own 09s. They are great bikes. I believe I saw the same red FZ you bought sitting in the IP showroom when I was there last. Again congrats and have fun on the new ride.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Congrats Flak Jacket!!! I think the Rapid Red might be faster than the Blazing Bruce Willis Saffron!!! :)

Fictional character Movie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum and the FZ09 addiction. I'm guessing that since you bought your bike at the Pony, you live in Ohio. There are several of us from OH-IO on forum that own 09s. They are great bikes. I believe I saw the same red FZ you bought sitting in the IP showroom when I was there last. Again congrats and have fun on the new ride.
I live 5 min from IP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I find these forums very helpful. I don't have to buy products twice with all the reviews on them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Welcome to the madness. Great choice for a modern day machine!
You were fortunate to be able to walk in and walk out the same day with your purchase. My acquisition occurred over a 4 week period. Have had mine for less than two weeks.
Wow that sucks. There was four in Columbus, Ohio when I bought mine. 2 in Grey and 2 in red. Mid-Ohio had three and IP had just the one. IP made me a good deal on what I think is a hot bike ATM. I have owned my for 10 days.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
That's awesome, I want a cafe bike so bad haha

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Do you do gas tanks? How much to de-scoop an 09? lol. Would be tricky to get right and the 09 already has a small gas capacity.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you do gas tanks? How much to de-scoop an 09? lol. Would be tricky to get right and the 09 already has a small gas capacity.
I have added a few knee dents into different tanks. I have normally cut panels on each side of the tank and then flipped the cut panel to the opposite side and then welded the panels back in. Skim cost of bond to smooth it and your good.

I don't know what de-scooping is though... I would however like to remove the black false panels on FZ-09 gas tank are those the scoops?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
At the rear sides of the 09 tank there are black plastic pads. At the front corners of the tank there are fake air scoops. The actual tank has points partly coming down over the frame and into the scoops. I'd like a more traditional look, get rid of the scoops and tank points, clean up the frame there. If you look under the tank the volume of the air box is huge and is part of the reason for not much gas capacity, but is part of the great tuning Yamaha did for a strong smooth torque curve. Maybe change the profile of the top of the tank, rising quicker at the rear and a bit higher overall.

PS, my first street bike was a new 1976 Honda CB400F (red of course!), have you ever built one of those?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts