Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I am certainly no expert, and my body position could certainly use some improvement... but check this out

Looks like the back end stepped out when the peg mashed his foot and levered the ass end up. These are the only two pictures in the sequence.

OUCH!

20140119 Palomar Mountain 0594-L.jpg

20140119 Palomar Mountain 0595-L.jpg

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There's so much wrong with what this guy is doing, it's hard to know where to start.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
he's crossed up, head should be leaning into the turn.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
If you look at the pictures closely, take a peek on the right side of the bike! Does anyone see something that is very OBVIOUSLY wrong with that picture? ......

Take a look at his right foot! See where his foot is located on the peg! His right foot, the arch specifically is on the peg instead of him being on the ball of his foot. I would say there is a very good chance that his left foot was in the same position.....arch of his foot on the peg instead of the ball of his foot. What you are most likely seeing here is a guy that leaned the bike over far enough for the toe of his left foot to make contact with the pavement, because of improper foot position, and is in the process of not only breaking a lot of bones in his foot/ankle area, but getting ready to get tossed off the bike.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I spotted that, but also it seems there is a lot of unused road on the right side that could be used to steer clear of cars that like to run wide on corners like that. Eh, not exactly body position, but more like road position.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Yes I spotted that, but also it seems there is a lot of unused road on the right side that could be used to steer clear of cars that like to run wide on corners like that. Eh, not exactly body position, but more like road position.
Travis, I don't get what you are saying there. I don't see any cars and really, his line doesn't took too bad for going around that left-hander. He looks like he might have early apexed a bit, but his biggest problem is his foot position, most likely hanging down from not being on the ball of his foot.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I prefer a delayed apex, it's saved me a few times from people who are over the line.
Obviously the apex isn't the real problem with that guy. Mostly I was trying to be funny about the "what's wrong with the right side of the picture observation" it but it didn't really work out. So, nevermind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Travis, I don't get what you are saying there. I don't see any cars and really, his line doesn't took too bad for going around that left-hander. He looks like he might have early apexed a bit, but his biggest problem is his foot position, most likely hanging down from not being on the ball of his foot.
Exactly! There are no cars coming at the moment and he was in his lane. To properly ride a twisty road you often times need to use the whole lane. Having the pegs on the arch of your feet will cause your toe to touch in the event that you get the bike low enough in a corner. This is a scary feeling when it happens! In addition to this, the guy in the photo has terrible head position. His head should be on the left looking into the turn.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you look at the pictures closely, take a peek on the right side of the bike! Does anyone see something that is very OBVIOUSLY wrong with that picture? ......

Take a look at his right foot! See where his foot is located on the peg! His right foot, the arch specifically is on the peg instead of him being on the ball of his foot. I would say there is a very good chance that his left foot was in the same position.....arch of his foot on the peg instead of the ball of his foot. What you are most likely seeing here is a guy that leaned the bike over far enough for the toe of his left foot to make contact with the pavement, because of improper foot position, and is in the process of not only breaking a lot of bones in his foot/ankle area, but getting ready to get tossed off the bike.
Am I missing the joke or just misunderstanding? When leaning off the bike that far pretty much everyone will have the arch of their _outside_ foot on the peg, including motogp riders. It's the position of the inside foot that counts. OR maybe it's been so long since I've gone round an actual bend on a sports bike my brain has gone soft.

Sent via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Am I missing the joke or just misunderstanding? When leaning off the bike that far pretty much everyone will have the arch of their _outside_ foot on the peg, including motogp riders. It's the position of the inside foot that counts. OR maybe it's been so long since I've gone round an actual bend on a sports bike my brain has gone soft.

Sent via Tapatalk.
When riding a supersport, my arch is never on the peg.

On another note, this bike doesn't even have a tag yet :(

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts

Sent via Tapatalk.
There is no joke in my statement.......you are missing something! Don't say EVERYONE will have their arch on the peg with their outside foot. We teach a body position class as part of the classroom sessions with STT and we NEVER, EVER teach that the arch of your foot should be on the peg of the motorcycle. It is a terrible habit to get into or to learn to ride like that, especially on a bike that has some lean capabilities.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's true. Having your arch on the peg is a bad habit. Yes, if it is on the outside foot it doesn't really matter, but you are still developing bad habits and it creates bad mussel memory. I know because I used to do this, and it was a scary feeling to think your doing everything correct and have the toe of your boot touch the ground before your knee. I was able to correct this bad habit the first time a rode at a track and have not had the issue ever since. I now keep the balls of my feet on the pegs at all times and I have no problem touching my knee without having to worry about my boot touching first.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I always use the ball of my feet. Did it in motocross for better control and leverage. Troy Bayless used the ball of his foot and still dragged his toe in the corners at max lean. He had to have metal plates on his boots, which made for some cool spark shows.

Exercise: Put a 2X2 on the floor and stand on it. Next do some squats. Try it with your arch and ball and let me know which way allows more forward lean and better control and balance. I learned this from Gary Bailey at a motocross school.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Sport riding, in the twisties, sure I have my feet in the correct position. But if on straights etc for awhile? My knees and leg muscles have to move around. I'll have my feet on the pegs any old way, swing my feet around, put my butt on the passenger seat, stand up, etc. Ok it is bad form, but I'll be fresher when I get to the twisties lol. Also in traffic having your arches on the pegs has you closer to the controls.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I really don't think you're in bad company if you have the arch of your outside foot on the peg when cranked right over. My feet are moving all the time. Not trying to start an internet arguement, and I would love to come to your track school if I lived nearby, but my consistent memories of watching racers is that this is a very common foot position (and yes, aware of the irony of using Marco as the first example). I didn't have to search hard for any of these photos.

Simoncelli:

marco-simoncelli-knee-down-20289480.jpg

Casey Stoner:

35645d1293445937-dragging-knee-wallpapers-moto-gp-1024.jpg

Marquez:

a0e40722-f9a4-4812-ac02-6fe9.jpg

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I can post 100 pictures of the same guys on the balls. Sometimes they are losing the front end and raising their feet which appears to be the arch. Also, some of them, like Pedrosa are so short their feet come off altogether.

Simoncelli is dead, BTW, for his out of control riding. Not a good example.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well, each to their own I guess. If I try and hang off to any extent I can't even invert my foot enough to get the ball of my foot on the peg - the heelplate gets in the way.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts