Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
When I was returning the "gently" used bike this morning, I did see this one on their showroom floor - brand new 2019. No discounts on this though I'm afraid....

2019 Black XR-small.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
Jay, some of us are curious as to how you discovered the "returned" bike had been crashed.
Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Nice to see the dealer doing the right thing. Just remember it is very easy to do $11,000 dollars damage on the XR with the bike not being that badly damaged if they replaced every part that had a scratch.

Very true..3 years ago my buddy dropped his Triumph at 10 MPH on a snowy road ... (long story) and insurance paid out $9500 to fix it... he is still riding it and it has a bit over 55K on it now...

That being said, if I was buying a bike that was repaired, I would want to know about it ahead of time and I would expect the price to reflect that it had been crashed and fixed ....

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Les,

I discovered the damage purely by good fortune. When I bought the bike, the selling franchise bmw dealership told me the 600 miles service (that's big in bmw world apparently) had been done. They could see that it was done in their systems, but could not see what dealer did it nor was there any documentation with the bike. So, I took delivery at about 716 miles thinking I could likely track down who did it and they could provide me a copy for my files. And since I was going to do an oil change anyway and buy the tool I needed to reset any other computer related items, it was not that big of a deal even if I could never document it.

So, I called around to a few dealers (it came with key fobs from the dealer in Louisville), but no luck. After calling a couple dealers, my dealer said they would track it down for me so I let it go. A week or so later, the title arrived in the mail and it indicated where the previous owner lived. So one quick call and the string of my great deal started to unravel. I called their service department and after a little back and forth, I gave the tech the VIN, waiting for him to say "sure, we did the service"...but after about 5 seconds of reviewing the results, he recalled the bike, the owner and the extensive repair that was done. He rattled off the major parts replaced (forks, swing arm, sprocket, left engine cover, left plastics, etc), the miles on the bike at the time and even details of the story behind the accident according to the owner.

I'm not a mechanically inclined as some here, but I'm not a complete novice and I've bought my share of used cars so I know what to look for and this bike was completely spotless - as it should be with 7xx miles. Thinking back on it, the only tip I had was a single plastics screw that was about 1/3 backed out. That's it on the entire bike...so I let that go simply because by itself it was not enough to overturn what my lyin' eyes were telling me.

The moral of the story for me is that car repairs and bike repairs are just different. On a car they actually often do repair specific systems and repaint, etc. On a bike, everything with any possible damage goes in the trash and all new parts are fitted. New oem parts on a 7xx mile bike are virtually indistinguishable from original parts, at least upon a reasonable review when there are no other signs.

So, in the end I killed 2 full days in the back and forth process (dealer is 2 hrs from my home) and with a pretty heavy PITA factor, but I did get a "free" 600 mile test ride to make sure its the bike for me. Even though I returned it, it's still a great bike that runs amazingly well and is as close to new as it could be, but with it's history I could not justify what I paid for it not knowing about the damage. At the right price (maybe $9-10k) I'd buy it again and ride the hell out of it for years, likely with no problems - that just wasn't a risk I was willing to take at $14k.

So, my search continues....

Reactions: shamrock

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well , my Xr spend most of the time to the factory for repair , luckily someone decide to steal it . bought a s1000r 18 than , and i have better luck , just two batteries , front MC , front calipers , ABS module and a water pump replaced since april .
Little bit different compare to the yamahas i own (MT10 ,MT10sp , MT09 , MT09sp , tracer 900), as i didn´t have a single problem with them :
Even if they are all midly/higly tuned ...
Will try avoid the BMW brand in the future (like i quit with KTM)

:angry7:

Reactions: JM00JM

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hi Katli,

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, that is the bike I bought and then returned because it had significant major damage/repair. It rides amazingly well and you would never know it had the work done, but resale would be significantly impacted.

Also, I just bought a brand new version of the same bike - same year and color as well. It will be delivered in about 2 weeks from up north. It was a great deal, so hopefully all is fine with it - it only has 2 miles on the odo, so how bad could it be, right? - Don't answer that!!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It took a while, but the replacement for my gently used XR has finally arrived! Looks exactly the same, except the ODO said 0.9 miles on delivery. Not much margin in there for someone to have nearly totaled this one....

Here she is:

Blue - Side - Small.jpg

And a good buddy of mine got one also:

Red - Side - Small.jpg

41 - 53 of 53 Posts