Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any substantial experience with the XR? I'm interested in a gently used 2016. I've read a fair amount about the vibration issues they have north of 4k rpms. I rode one this weekend and the vibes were clearly evident in the bars, seat and pegs. It was in decent shape, but no garage queen with 11k miles.

I understand heavier bar end weights can help a bit, but not sure it's enough.

Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Wrong forum. Not many beards around here.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I was at Americade last weekend and saw one. Love at first sight! Tried to book a demo but no luck. I'm 6'2" 220 lbs and looking for something a bit bigger with some more comfort on long hauls. They classify in the Adventure class of bikes but it sure looked like a sport bike to me. Let me know what you find out because I could be interest in movin from the FZ-09 to that, eventhough I love my Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lou, perhaps my brain is in nuetral, but I don't get your joke....I guess it was supposed to be funny, at least fish found it so.

I believe an XR is an Other Bike so this seems like a good place for my question. If I ask it on an XR forum, I doubt I'll get much of an unbiased response.

Anybody with knowledge of the XR please comment, or at least post a joke I get.

TIA

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Beards are mandatory for Beemer clubs down here. Mainly boxer riders though.
Beards and boxers, it sounds a bit hipster really.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Half my riding buddies have Beemers, but no beards (Guess its a locale thing - or maybe we just can't afford to look like a derelict as we have bikes to pay for...) Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think I've just been insulted...!
: - )>

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I think I've just been insulted...!
: - )>

By the beards, boxers or derelicts? Or owning a Beemer?

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Somehow, this thread is not going as I had anticipated....

Thank you Al Gore for inventing the Internet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
By the beards, boxers or derelicts? Or owning a Beemer?
No boxers or Beemers here...

Reactions: LouG

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Beard and Beemer here and not insulted in the least.

Fellow fz09 forum member BMac has two S1000XRs and is very happy with them. Why two? Because he splits his year between Wisconsin and Florida and has one in each location. I’ve ridden his Wisconsin one and think it’s a great bike.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I rode a 2016 S1000XR yesterday at the local dealership. Not on my list anymore. The ride compared to the 09 was like having sex with a condom on. Much of the feel of the road and the nimbleness of the 09 are gone. It sounds like a 60 hp outboard motor boat. No sex appeal as far as I'm concerned. Just my opinion. I would like to ride the Suzuki GSX1000 F. I also looked at a 1290 Duke while I was there. Haven't got past the looks and the price yet but I bet it a beast/blast to ride.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I think it has a lot to do with v-twin appeal or not. I prefer the Tuono v-4 and crossplane 4 in the FZ-10. V-twins are like a double thumper to me. Some really like that kind of sound and vibration. Not me.

Funny analogy on the XR vs FZ. In all fairness, the FZ is a sport bike whereas the XR is an adventure model.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the record, I'm not thinking of trading my FZ for an XR. I'm actually thinking about trading my Concours 1400 for an XR. I view the XR as somewhat of a mid-point between my two current bikes and I find the Concours just too big for my skill level to enjoy riding in the twesties. So, in a way, I'm kind of doubling down on the FZ format, I just want something that is more palatable to ride on the highway to get to the fun roads near me.

Two hours each way at 75+ mph on an FZ is exactly zero fun in my book.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
The XR is certainly capable of doing 2 hours out, twisties and two hours back.

The forthcoming 2019 FJ-09 also sounds pretty sweet in the latest reviews if you can wait for it.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sold my beloved Connie yesterday after 4.5 totally problem free years.

So, what's going to fill her spot in my garage? I'm thinking an XR but we'll see I suppose.

Reactions: ridetofish
1 - 20 of 53 Posts