Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got to thinking today and I was looking at graves block off plates and I think I could probably make them for cheaper.

I have a couple of 3d printers and I think I could design block off plates and print them in either abs plastic or hardened resin.

Has anyone already done this? Would anyone be interested?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Easiest and cheapest is to use a rubber vacuum cap. Cost is under $10.00 for a small box of assorted sizes. They are thick walled, snug fitting and should last indefinitely. Port to plug is in the airbox on the clean air side and when installed can be inspected when changing or checking the air filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not so much a cost thing. Mostly I just think it'd be cool to have 3d printed parts on my bike that I designed.

I didn't get the printers to make money, they're really just toys and to print stuff for my D&D games.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Would be cool Mike to make your own parts for sure! Just a bit of a bummer that your handy work would end up being out of site!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Pretty sure block off plates are cheaper than a 3d printer? What is D&D? Dumb and Dumber?

Ride Sane
Ride the Silver Stallion if that is what you desire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty sure block off plates are cheaper than a 3d printer? What is D&D? Dumb and Dumber?

Ride Sane
Ride the Silver Stallion if that is what you desire.
I'll clarify, I already have the printer, two of them actually, their purchase was not to save me money on motorcycle parts.

I just thought it would be neat producing a part of my own. It's certainly not to try to save the $40 of the cost of the graves part. I'm not that cheap.

D&D stands for dungeons and dragons, it's a tabletop role playing game, which judging by your response is clearly not your scene which is fine.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Agree, if you have the technology and the desire to make your own parts go for it. The only table top games I ever played were Monopoly and Risk. So, hope your parts turn out well.

Ride Sane

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I believe so. I can print in abs plastic which is commonly used in intakes and other under the hood applications in cars.

I don't know if plastic plates would work in this application or not. I can tell you a story, though...

Back in '97, I was club racing a new Suzuki TL1000S. At the first event, I was black-flagged because there was smoke coming from the bike. When I got into the pits we found oil residue on the exhaust and other parts, and some on my boot. We couldn't see any source of an oil leak, however.

After about an hour of frustrating detective work, we finally discovered that the stock plastic clutch cover was distorting just enough under high-heat conditions that oil was weeping out. It even had a rubber O-ring seal, but it wasn't enough.

It turned out, Graves was already producing an aluminum replacement cover, so they must have found the same issue!

Anyway, this may or may not have anything to do with whether plastic block-off plates would work, but it's something to consider... 💁🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
9 Posts
As long as the material selected can handle the temperature environment and is strong enough to hold down the Reed Valves to seal between reed valve and the valve cover you should be fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts

lol. Seen this as trending in my email so I decided to devote 20 minutes to the idea. Printing now just For shits and gigs( says 2hours 30min). I have no idea what the real dimensions are supposed to be I just ripped an image from google for the outline. I'll probably make these the right dimensions in the future with very identifiable information personalized to me in case of theft. could even add a spot for gps tracker... i guess anything is possible these days as long as there's a will.
I've posted this on one of my first posts with building my crashcage, but if there's anything you guys may think of for these bike that isn't available yet or whatever I can probly take time while I'm crushing PBR tallboys and watching youtube videos to plan/engineer/make whatever. I dabble in many media

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very cool...

Side note:
I’ll be the one with courage to ask, how do you describe your abstract logo? Magic eye is giving me weird thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
2.5hours and 23cents of carbon pla, I present to you the dickusbuttus block off plates. I cooked um a lil hot and maybe 10mm to fast so the detail got lost a bit but these are not even the unknown right size and melt at 215 degrees celsius. I would cast these in aluminum if I were to make the for rear for reals or atleast print in ABS but Moto26 pointed out a possible poop flaw. But if anything here's your idea in the real world chef.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So I got to thinking today and I was looking at graves block off plates and I think I could probably make them for cheaper.

I have a couple of 3d printers and I think I could design block off plates and print them in either abs plastic or hardened resin.

Has anyone already done this? Would anyone be interested?
Just wondering why everyone want to get rid of the AIS. The only benefit is loosing the small amount of back pop on decel (which I find very satisfying). There is zero performance gains and very small weight loss. Just wondering what the gimmick is.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts