Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am doing up my bike, I'm not doing anything too crazy, but some things might be a little different than others, so some of you might benefit from the info.

Here is what I think I am going to do, the stuff laid out in this post, plus flash ecu, tail tidy, exhaust, quick turn throttle, power commander, wind screen (small, yamaha or ermax), new seat and suspension. And one special trick that I wont give away til I do it.

Honestly tho, I dont hate the suspension, it is soft, but I got the preload pretty even front and rear and same with the rebound. I'm definitely NOT looking for a stiff ride, thats why I have a ZX-10r. This is my fun, comfy get to work, back roads bike.

I just got the bike 4 days ago, but I have done a few things. Some obvious, most of it common, so here goes.

Bone stock at the dealer

Oops, the mirrors fell off on the way home :rolleyes:

Ebay turn signals

Link to signals:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ZZ...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1a5dc2da&vxp=mtr

I removed my passenger pegs and relocated the brake fluid reservoir, but I did it to the subframe mount, that way I didnt need to bend anything and I just shortened the stock hose.

I also did the horn thing, but I dont understand why you have to cut wires, mine fit like factory, I circled in red how I routed the horn cable. It tucks right under the ignition cylinder and doesnt bind anywhere. I might throw a zip tie in somewhere, but I dunno, seems perfect to me.

Thats it for now!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ooooh you just reminded me about relocating my horn!!! Glad to see it can be routed without cutting too, handy to know.

Looking good!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I did a couple more things. The first is the "special trick" I mentioned above. I will explain. When I first saw this bike, the biggest issue I had was the gauge cluster. The off set/out front thing drove me bonkers. Being picky, I looked on the parts slides and saw that the gauge mounted to the bar mounts. Those mounts are just bolted to the upper triple clamp. I figured they could be flipped. Well, I did it and yes they can!

I simply got some longer bolts and some rubber spacers and there ya go.

It pushes the cluster back and to the center. It seems nicely inline with the brake master now.

Here is another view.

One other added bonus is that the bars are between .25 and .5 inches offset backwards. I am rather tall, so flipping these mounts around gave me a little reach extension.

This may not look like much, but I am very happy also, the gauge is much lower, so the front profile is lower.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other thing I did was totally lucky. My girlfriend has a ninja 300 and she just got a new windscreen. I have wanted to get a windscreen for the FZ, but the Yamaha is backordered and I wasnt sure about the Ermax. I decided to try hacking up her old screen. Well, this is what I got. Im not done, I want to put some tint on it and I need to paint the mounts, but I am pretty happy. I might cut a little more off the top, we shall see. Also, moving the cluster back gave me more room to lean the screen back to a more streamlined angle.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Cool gauge mount idea, and I like the way it works with your screen.

I'll be going the other way with my gauges, forward and a lot down, to go with my clubman bars.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Looks great!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eolith, it is an Icon Airmada. I painted the black on, the chrome is vinyl and I put the stickers on.

Also, I wasnt really happy with the size of the windscreen, so I trimmed it a little. Here are pics after I cut it.

After cutting it, I wanted it to match the bike more, so I added some matte grey metallic vinyl around the edge and some tinting to the rest. I covered the mounts in the same material as well.

(I dont know why some of the pics have the purple tint, but I was too lazy to take new pics)

So, is it better or worse?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
that screen looks fantastic - really nice job and love the paint accents - to bobby's point - i'd buy one of these from you in a heartbeat sir!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hum, well, it wouldnt be too hard to make, my only thing is, I am sure pretty sure this would not fit with the cluster in the stock position. Maybe I will order another screen and mess around.

Glad you guys like it! I am definitely happy with it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At that price, I rather buy them then waste the time. Thats cool! I might get some. Center up the gauge.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
SATO RACING | Universal Brackets

Cool find Doug. The prices are for one it seems.

I make my own, but those are nicer looking lol.
Correct, I had to order two. At the end of the day, they are sano, and if I made my own, it would take a ton of drilling, filing, sanding, painting, and rubbing to get the end result that I wanted.

I hunted for hours to find relocation brackets until I stumbled upon these in the image section of Google

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, totally. We can all drill holes and cut stuff, but if you add in the time to make it clean and tap threads and stuff, you are TOTALLY mis-using good beer drinking time.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath for 09 re-locator brackets, 09 riders don't agree where they want it to be. And the display it self is an odd shape.

I'm going to ditch the stock plastic gauge holder, use the stock rubber grommets with an aluminum plate in front of the key deck, a little left of center. Along with a mini AL fly screen, clubman bars, sometimes a GPS to the right of the speedo, etc. My aluminum work will look like s***, that's what fake carbon fiber adhesive sheets are for lol.

1 - 20 of 206 Posts