Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea about these stands?

BikeMaster Universal Aluminum Rear Stand - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

BikeMaster Universal Aluminum Front Stand - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

They are half price of a Pit Bull and I could get both front and rear for the price of one Pit Bull. However, I would really love to get the forward handle rear stand from Pit Bull, but I haven't seen any other manufacturer make forward handle rear stands. Do you know of any others who do make one??

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have one of these that I got from Harbor Freight for about $50. It's totally identical. Works great, though the width of swingarm it can accommodate is kinda limited. It was pretty much maxed out on my '93 ZX-7

·
Registered
611 Posts

BikeMaster Universal Aluminum Rear Stand - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

BikeMaster Universal Aluminum Front Stand - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

They are half price of a Pit Bull and I could get both front and rear for the price of one Pit Bull. However, I would really love to get the forward handle rear stand from Pit Bull, but I haven't seen any other manufacturer make forward handle rear stands. Do you know of any others who do make one??
I would stay away from those stands. The wheels came up in a lot of reviews. Look at it this way..if you can afford the pit bulls, get the pit bulls. They are the best..period.

If $$ is tight, you could get a set of used pit bulls or get ya some T-Rex stands. They, like the ones you listed, are about half the price of the pit bulls. You cannot go wrong with the pit bulls.. Buy right, buy once.

Personally, I am getting the T-Rex stands. I met the guy that makes them, and for me, will work.

Pit bull are the only forward facing reare stands I have seen..that are worth a damn.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have no experience with the front facing ones, but while I would prefer to have more control over the bike while it is off the kickstand(with the front), I am not tall enough to be able to see the far spool to line it up. If you are tall enough, you can look over the seat/tank and see it line up. Always something! lol

·
Registered
552 Posts

I have had the rear stand for a couple of years. Used it on my 1986 SRX600 and with flat type pads I use it on my 2014 Honda CTX since June for routine chain maintenance. I see the Sept issue of Cycle world has coupon in back for 29.99 with the spool type ends at Harbor Freight. It is light weight and I hang it on the wall. I do check the bolts every now and then and they have always been tight. I paid extra for the L pads as the CTX did not have holes for spools. My plan is to get a second one so I will not have to switch the ends. By the way I tested the L pads on the FZ-9 and it lifted it fine and seamed about as solid as my CTX up in the air did.

I had a Pitbull stand for my Honda Hawk GT and VFR800 because they had single sided swing arms. Nice quality and needed for those bikes.

Also when lifting my bikes, I place a block of wood under the kick stand to get it 95% upright so it is easier to line things up and easier to lift the last 5 percent.

Reactions: DNFDOUG and eolith

·
Registered
611 Posts
Also when lifting my bikes, I place a block of wood under the kick stand to get it 95% upright so it is easier to line things up and easier to lift the last 5 percent.
Very good tip =)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a Harbor freight one that works perfectly for me.I had to open up the C-holders to fit my spools.Welds are good.it's solid and not flimsy when holding bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might just forego the front stand altogether and only get the pit bull forward handle stand because I think it allows for the best position for single handed operation.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Using a rear stand is very easy, once you learn the technique. What works for me, and a lot of folks is this....
1. Bike on the side stand.
2. Place the rear stand up close to the rear of the bike with the lifting arms down on the ground and the handle in the air.
3. Walk around to the right side of the bike....the same side as the brake lever and stand at the rear of the bike (right side)
4. Carefully take your right hand and grab the left edge of the seat and pull the bike up off of the sidestand. Doing it from this side places YOU on one side of the bike and the side stand down on the other side of the bike.....just in case you lose your grip or the bike gets a bit unbalanced from vertical/straight up and down.
5. While holding the bike vertical, reach over with your left hand and grab the handle of the rear stand and roll it up to the bike and slowly line up the lifting arms with the swing arm spools. Remember, you can lean the bike towards YOU if you need to, to make sure that the lifting arm and the spools are lined up.
6. Push down on the handle until the arm/spools engage and start to lift the rear of the bike.
7. Continue the stroke down until the handle is all the way down and the bike is fully supported with the rear stand.

To take the bike down off of the rear stand.......
1. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR SIDESTAND IS DOWN!!!
2 MAKE SURE THAT YOUR SIDESTAND IS DOWN!!! This is obviously very important....right?
3. With the sidestand DOWN, stand in the same place that you were at when lifting the bike up.....right rear of the bike.
4. Reach down with your left hand and slowly lift the handle as the bike's rear end is coming back down to the floor. As you are doing this, place your right hand on the seat again, just like you did when lifting the bike
5. After the bike is all the way down, you can now, slowly, let the bike lean over and onto the side stand.......MAKE SURE THE SIDESTAND IS DOWN........before you start this process.

Hope this helps some of you guys that will be experiencing using a rear stand for the first time. Just remember, take your time and maybe have a spotter there for the first few times that you try it....until you get the hang of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts