Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I consider myself pretty handy, but this is baffling. Any tips would be appreciated.

What I did:
Removed tank, ECU, airbox, reassembled. I was checking something unrelated and after reassembly, the bike won't start.

What happens:
Fuel pump primes, everything seems fine, bike won't start. It cranks and cranks and never sounds like it's even close. It's never done this before.

Things I've tried/checked:
-I removed the fuel line from the fuel rail and verified that priming the pump actually pumps gas out.
-I removed all the plugs, they seemed dry but I left them out to dry for a few days anyway.
-I checked for spark on each plug on each coil pack or whatever they're called.
-Battery is good.
-Fuel is good and there's enough of it.
-The fuses in the little fuse box under the seat are intact, as well as the two big 10amp ones that I think go to the starter relay. (Are there other fuses somewhere?)
-I've tried cycling the ignition a few times, waiting a half hour and trying again, waiting a few days and trying again.

Other things:
I'm flashed with FTECU. I've tried flashing back to stock and the behavior is the same and then back to my flash file and behavior is the same.
There are no new fault codes (there are a couple that happen when you first flash and persist).

Ideas:
My first thought was that I flooded it with multiple starting attempts, but the plugs are dry. So maybe it's not getting fuel? I know my connection to the fuel tank is good, the fuel pump is good, and the fuel is good. How can I check/troubleshoot the fuel injectors? Also, the manual lists fuel injection system fuses which I tried to check, but can't seem to find. Any idea where that is?

So yeah I'm about all out of ideas and am pretty close to just dropping it off at Yamaha, but if you guys can think of anything else, that would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Obviously a silly thought, but I’ll admit it’s happened before... are you in gear w the side stand down?

Actually you said it’s cranking so that eliminates that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,705 Posts
Hmm... Definitely check all the simple things. Clutch interlock switch, kickstand switch... I guess we can't accidently have the kill switch off with this design, so that's out. Just make sure every single thing you touched got plugged back in... Fuel line isn't pinched...

Otherwise, I got nothin'...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... Definitely check all the simple things. Clutch interlock switch, kickstand switch... I guess we can't accidently have the kill switch off with this design, so that's out. Just make sure every single thing you touched got plugged back in... Fuel line isn't pinched...

Otherwise, I got nothin'...
How do you check those switches? I tried starting it with the kickstand up, clutch pulled in just now and no luck. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
242 Posts
How do you check those switches? I tried starting it with the kickstand up, clutch pulled in just now and no luck. Thanks for the help.
If you have a pre 17 model you can check the switches in the diagnostic mode menu. Hey are the numbers with the yes or no values.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
Smell any gas out the exhaust?

Dry, working plugs suggests that the injectors aren't injecting.

[On the Internet no one knows you're a dog]

·
Registered
700 Posts
WHS^ dry plugs = no fuel. Maybe you dislodged a connector to the injectors or similar when you removed the tank. Also if a fuse is listed then it has to be found and verified...couldnt find it on the wiring diagram but did see numerous connectors to the injectors. The two outer ones have their own harness connector. The middle one has a short seperate harness connector these will all need to be firmly home.

The engine will not turn over if it is in gear with the side stand down....even with the clutch lever pulled in so the safety switches are not the problem....neither will the kill switch be to blame as the engine will not turn over if it is playing up.

I would try and trace the injector wires back to find the fuse...shame they dont list the fuses like in a car....or do they?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ignore post. Didn't realize it was XSR.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Reactions: plyn9

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The only time I ever had a starting issue was when my OEM battery was dying. However, I did get a sputter or two...and sometime I only got dead cranking. Charge the battery. A bad battery can result in no spark but good cranking. You say you checked for spark...but do you have it? Either you have no spark...or no gas going into the cylinder. Like someone else said, smell the exhaust for fumes.
You sure the ECU is fully plugged in?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
How did you verify the fuel was good? Only times I've had starting problems were fuel related and battery getting weak. Might add some stabilizer and mix it all up real good if you haven't already.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Probably a fuse bro.. there's 2 fuse boxes. Did you check both?
It would also help if you could provide a video so we can see your dash and all that good stuff...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably a fuse bro.. there's 2 fuse boxes. Did you check both?
It would also help if you could provide a video so we can see your dash and all that good stuff...
No, I only know about the box under the seat. Where's the other fuse box? I can get a video tonight after work.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I'm not 100% positive both are good, but I've never had a hiccup until now and it's all of a sudden. I've been keeping the battery charged during all this time of troubleshooting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, I only know about the box under the seat. Where's the other fuse box? I can get a video tonight after work.
Well I found the other fuse box under the boxy cover in front of the tank, but no luck. All the fuses are good. I double checked the ones under the seat as well. Bummer, I was really hoping that was it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How many Volts on ur battery with no load ? Anything under 12.4 is pretty low. May crank but won’t fire plugs.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts