Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've got (brand)new wheels front and rear, and now the bike won't start.

suggestions? is there a way to reset the computer as I'm guessing it's seeing some kind of fault in a sensor from the wheels?

thanks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't know of any sensors in or around the wheels. My guess is it is something more simple. Resetting the computer won't make the bike start, this is not a windows computer. ;)
Did you remove the battery cable, or anything else when changing wheels?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
remove the battery cable for 3-min.

Check your kickstand sensor and gear selector cable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The FZ has known to have a rough-start sometimes when cold. If it turns over but doesn't start, try giving it a little bit of gas as you turn it over. If it doesn't turn over at all, your battery is dead or disconnected or your starter is shot. If you hear the starter spin but not engage, your starter is shot. If everything sounds normal but you can't figure out what it is, remove the battery, wait 15 minutes, and reconnect it. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The battery tender might not revive a dead battery. Especially their smallest version that puts out a maximum of 750 mA.

Let it charge for a few hours and then disconnect the battery tender and measure the voltage on the battery. It should be about 12.3Vdc. Next turn the ignition switch to "on" but don't start the bike and again measure the voltage on the battery. It should be about 0.1 volt lower than before you turned on the key.

If the battery fails either measurement by more than about 1.2 volts, you have a dead cell in the battery and you need a new battery.

Otherwise a good charge should solve the problem.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
putting a 'boost' charger was enough to get it to start, and now it starts just fine, i.e. the battery wasn't fully discharged. My battery tender is the ultra-deluxe 4 way one, I'll leave it on overnight to fully top off the battery and will test with a multi-meter tomorrow. I doubt I've got a dead cell, but will check.

thanks again.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Glad you solved this one.
I have had the stock battery die when someone left the heated grips on. Got it replaced under warranty.
The replacement died when a friend left bike in PK mode.I charged it with a battery tender jr and it is back to full power again.
I guess sometimes it boils down to chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts