Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the bike turn off while riding? I think the last time it happened to me, I was in 4th gear, accelerating. I dont remember the speed. Im not exactly sure what happened, but I was twisting, and then nothing happened. All gauges were on, no alert lights were on. I was able to pull the clutch in, start the bike (while riding in 4th gear) and then continue. I was stunned, but I was able to continue for the rest of the day, with no other issues.

Is the dealer able to scan the ECU for something that happened like this? I'd like to know more about this, or if anyone else has had this happen..

·
Registered
438 Posts
If its anything like a car then the dealer will only be able to get info from the ECU if it set a code. Other than that it doesn't store any feeze frame data. I think i have a faulty on/ kill switch that sometimes doesnt allow my fuel pump to prime before starting my bike. Maybe yours shut the bike off. Maybe there are more faulty on/kill switches than we know of.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steviet - I dont think I hit the kickstand. I was in 4th gear and had some speed (nothing really crazy. Maybe 40s)

Evil - is that something that the dealer can replace within warranty?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Evil - is that something that the dealer can replace within warranty?
If they can replicate the problem then yeah. It could have been a number of other things though. You could check your battery terminals first to make sure its not a loose ground or something. I know that the dealership wont do anything about it if they cant replicate the issue.

·
Registered
420 Posts
At one time, I was crossing the most desolate part of Wyoming on my touring bike when it suddenly quit. There was an immediate feeling of panic. Fortunately, before I came to a halt I discovered I had accidently turned off the kill switch while I was thrashing around trying to get comfortable. The kill switch is the Achilles heel for off-road bikes so it was naturally the first thing I checked. Whew!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yes, check those battery terminals. it's also easy to hit the kill switch when reaching for the mode button.

one of the first things i did was bypass the sidestand switch - had them go bad before on other bikes.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
alright, thanks guys! I will be checking this stuff. The power loss is intermittent I think. Its happened once before, but I dont remember the circumstances. I dont think the dealer would be able to replicate the problem..

·
Registered
150 Posts
fatfurious2 - Check out this thread: http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/2920-engine-cutting-off.html

I think you're experiencing the same problem a few of us have had that we detail out in that thread. I can tell you mine only happened at first during break in and has not been an issue since... hopefully it will be the same situation for you. For what it's worth, I don't think you need to worry too much about it unless it keeps up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How many keys do you have on your keyring ?

I have seen it a few times were heavy keys can disturb the switch enought to cut power to the motor, more common on older bikes and even more common with cars.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
How did you bypass that side stand switch? Might be interested in doing that.
i cut off the wires at the switch, then traced them up to where they connect to the wiring harness under the tank. it's one of several connectors that are right next to each other. just cut off the excess length leaving a small amount to twist together so the bike thinks the sidestand is always up. wrap it up in electrical tape and you're done. or you can use one of those plastic splicing connectors.

DO NOT try to remove the sidestand switch - the bolts are held in with red loctite. you need to heat the bolts up to burn off the loctite first, or they'll strip. ask me how i know.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts