Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals,

Just a quick question, I am hoping someone will be able to shed some more light. I apoligise if this has been posted and answered, I had a search through all of the threads but couldnt find anything similar.

My issue:

When I am trying to cruise at a constant speed, say anywhere between 50-80km/hr (30-50mph), and keep at at that constant speed, I feel like the bike is surging or missing. Under power or acceleration the bike seems very normal, and doesnt hesitate at all. Just crazy torque lol. But when I am just running with the flow of traffic and maintaining a very constant speed, I feel as if the bike seems to surge or miss. At higher speeds, say at 100km/hr or 60mph, it seems quite fine or I cannot feel it anyway. At idle it seems very smooth, a slight miss/fart every now and then but that seems normal listening to videos of other 09's. Changing modes between any of the 3 doesnt seem to change anything either.

Is this a normal idiosyncrasy of the bike itself when its running in general or something more maybe such as a synchronisation issue with the throttle bodies/fuel injection? I am very new to the world of large CC bikes, and get quite nervous when things dont seem right. OCD plus lol.

I just wanted to gauge if other owners feel the same type of surging when cruising at a constant speed below 60mph, or if they find it hard to keep a smooth constant speed. It may be something to let Yamaha take a look at on my first scheduled service.

For info, bike was broken in relatively hard via the mototuneusa method, not near redline at all but up to about 8k through the gears and then lots of engine braking. Rinsed and repeated all the way home from the dealer for about 40km and avoided any constant speeds up until now. I have 300km on the clock as of today. I now ride just as normal, which isnt too hard or full throttle in any case. Occasional full throttle squirts in second for that power wheelie lol.

Apart from this one issue, I want to add that the bike is fantastic and love the decision I made to purchase the 09. I was tossing up between a Triumph.....so glad I chose the Yamaha. Fun with big F's.

I appreciate your time and responses guys/gals, I know how hard it can be to diagnose any sort of issue via the internet, so my first stop was to see if other bikes are similar in nature before presenting to Yamaha with the issue. Cheers all for any response given.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
That's the 02 sensor doing its thing. You can either

1. Shift a gear up to smooth things up.
2. ECU flash help a lot
3. EJK fuel controller help a lot too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Marthy.

Even shifting up to another gear, is still the same. 2nd through to 6th. Only seems when I try to keep that constant speed though, and only between those lower speeds mentioned. I wasnt overly concerned, as it doesnt take away anything from the bike.......more just the smoothness of the ride. Much more noticeable riding 2up as well, seems to amplify it.

I had a thought it may be something to do with the 02 sensor/fuelling/synchronisation..........a flash/controller is on the cards at a later date in any case, so hopefully this will smooth it out. I have been told that it does smooth things out quite a lot in regards to fuelling.

·
Registered
186 Posts
At steady state cruise in mid range, this surging usually indicates a lean mixture condition. Stoltec's flash deals with throttle mapping and not fueling, at least not yet..EJK fuel controller would I guess but this is all pretty new to me so Nick or Marthy could explain what does or doesn't work. Check out the posts on synching/adjusting your fuel injectors, this may help but again I must say this is new to me so just a thought. I will add that were you to add an aftermarket exhaust, it may make this lean condition worse so take care...Mark

·
Registered
233 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News noted surging as an issue in their test bike that turned out to be a clogged fuel injector. Not sure if that's the case in your instance, or if it's just the extremely touchy throttle in stock form. The ECU flash by Nick (Stoltec) makes the throttle so much better- the engine is much more enjoyable when it's not jumping every time you hit a bump. For me, the flash along with a shock and front springs have transformed the bike.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes, clogged injector = lean mixture I would think (can't say if that's his problem), which brings up a question since I don't have an -09, does this bike have a good fuel filter in the system? Mark

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Mine is surging a tad after I put the Arrow pipe on, even with the DB Killer in. I am going to have to get a piggyback system soon.

·
Registered
637 Posts
See if you can get your dealer to do a throttle body sync before doing any of the add on stuff.
If that doesn't do it and it still bugs ya, then start down the add on route.

Someone around here posted some pictures of how to do the throttle body sync...??? Didn't look that hard to do.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses all. Gonna give Yamaha a yell when I do the first service about syncing the throttle bodies. Doesnt bug me too much really. Is the only thing I have found that seems off about the bike. everything is bloody awesome!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts