Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The bike started behaving erratically the last couple of days. I noticed a rough idle followed by flaming out at a stop. Originally, I attributed it to 87 octane (non ethanol), or even a bad batch of fuel, so I filled up with 93 octane fuel. Today I rode the bike into work and from 6,000 rpm on it started to stutter, the check engine light would flicker and the bike would want to die when I rolled off the throttle.

I checked my connections to my dual O2 sensors since I just relocated the terminals to clean up my wiring connector bulk and all appeared well. As I left work, the bike was running perfect until I hit a bump in the road. Thank goodness that I was aware of this incident as it made diagnosing my problem much easier. After a long teeth grinding ride home, I dove into the bike hoping to find a loose connection in my Power Commander V, O2 Optimizer, Auto Tune, or kickstand switch.

All power connectors, as well as the Auto Tune and Optimizer checked out fine. Now the hard part, check vacuum lines, fuel line, block off plates, airbox plug. That's right, I had to pull the damn tank and airbox off for the fifth time since I have owned the bike in my 100° garage. Well the plates and lines all checked out fine, damn if I didn't pop the hose clamp to the airbox breather off and have to spend thirty minutes with a light and a magnet to find it. Just as I was about to call it a day, I decided to check the PCV connectors to the injectors, and presto, my number one cylinder has a loose connector. It was about half way apart, which explains why it started to run like a stuttering pig after I hit a bump in the road.

I plan on putting it back together after work and taking it for a test spin tomorrow, but I feel confident that it will be back to normal. Next time I will move the bike to the shop and turn on the frigging A/C. Lesson learned, make sure all connectors click in place and give them a tug to make sure they are snug. Also, this foray is allowing me to clean up my installation wire routing and box locations.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My motto has been "check the little/free stuff 1st" after I spent all morning doing a valve lash inspection on my former 02' DL1000 only to have it flame out completely about 40 miles from home later that day. I spent the better part of an hour field stripping it down to near nothing when I gave up, called for a trailer and put it all back together. As I was putting the seat back on, I discovered the negative battery cable was loose: A 2 second fix!
I called my brother with the trailer and told him I was okay.
He turned around and I rode the rest of the way home without incident. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the absolute first thing I did when I got to work was pull the seat and wiggle the battery terminals. I have been in a similar situation myself, but it was the result of a replaced voltage regulator and a fried battery. Damn ground wire was loose and stranded me a third time in three days. I was about to push my wife's CBR600F2 in front of a semi at that point. Stranded #1,battery died, stranded #2,new battery fried, replaced battery and voltage regulator which came stock with no heat sink, stranded #3, loose ground. I still can't find any humor in that story.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yeah, the absolute first thing I did when I got to work was pull the seat and wiggle the battery terminals. I have been in a similar situation myself, but it was the result of a replaced voltage regulator and a fried battery. Damn ground wire was loose and stranded me a third time in three days. I was about to push my wife's CBR600F2 in front of a semi at that point. Stranded #1,battery died, stranded #2,new battery fried, replaced battery and voltage regulator which came stock with no heat sink, stranded #3, loose ground. I still can't find any humor in that story.
Oh,man! That does suck! =(

·
Registered
730 Posts
3M vampire connectors?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
yep, hondas and suzukis are notorious for frying regulators and stators.

fortunately yamahas made within the last decade (including the 09) come with very good mosfet regulators. they're so good that some of those honda and suzuki owners replace theirs with them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts