Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had cruiser bikes, so this was never an issue. Why do sport bike riders keep their bikes on stands? I have seen a lot of pictures with the bike with the rear wheel on a stand, or both wheels on stands, while stored or for pictures. What is the purpose of this? Pressure off of the tires? Thanks!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Absolute Stability while not riding. Safe.

Reactions: cthouse

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Mostly to clean and lube the chain properly. Something not needed on a belt driven cruiser. I also do it for safety, kick stands don't stretch as wide as cruiser stands so slightly higher risk of tipping if a kid or something runs into it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I use them to put tire warmers on for the cold Colorado nights. I think it started with racing. Weren't they called pit stands?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
They look pretty cool sitting on paddock stands/pit stands.....like a real race bike. Of course if the picture was taken at a track, it could be that the bike has tire warmers on them or it could be that lots of track/race bikes have the side stand removed for weight savings.

Reactions: 520FZ09

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For long term storage you want the tires up off the floor/ground. They tend to dry out and crack along the edge of the contact patch.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Plus, you can do stupid $^%# when noone's around. :rolleyes:

sturdy stand.JPG

and no, this isn't why there was a second SV in my life after this one fell over. It didn't.
LOL

Reactions: beck and v2Bob

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
For long term storage you want the tires up off the floor/ground. They tend to dry out and crack along the edge of the contact patch.
What do you consider long term...???

I've seen these stands at the local Cycle Gear store & online at Amazon. Prices range $39 to $189. Very wide range. I bought mine locally on sale at Cycle Gear.

·
Registered
768 Posts
In all seriousness, they do make a smaller bike like a sport bike much more stable when working on them.
{SV650 #2}

pitbull.JPG

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
IMO the most important thing when buying a rear stand is that it uses spools bolted to the swing arm, not the kind that lifts from the bottom of the swing arm, that's far less stable.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What do you consider long term...???
Opinions will vary, but most may say 3 months (average shelf life for gasoline). For tires, it really depends on their age. I've seen older tires on bikes left outside crack over the course of a one winter, but they were in bad shape to start with. If I don't raise the tires up, I make sure I rotate them every month or so... gets rid of the bumpitybumpity on the first ride of the season. ;)

·
Registered
768 Posts
IMO the most important thing when buying a rear stand is that it uses spools bolted to the swing arm, not the kind that lifts from the bottom of the swing arm, that's far less stable.
I agree. Mostly. I've had bikes without provisions for spools that were quite stable using Pit Bull's convertible rear stand - as long as the perches were adjusted properly. That said, I tried using the same stand on my former FZ-8 and was horrified to realize the bike wanted to slide rearward on the supports due to the angle of the swingarm underside. I went out and got some proper spools and then eventually a center stand.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Even weight / stress on both forks during long term storage. Don't know if that's a factor on this bike
I didn't bother last year but was thinking it would be a good idea this year since I bring it in the house over winter and people touch it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sometimes I am too cynical for my own good, but here's another reason to get a stand:
another farkle that does not cost too much...
:p

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Rear stand with forks for swing arm spools, to make chain adjust and chain lubing easier.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Which rear wheel stand should I buy and where can I buy it? Some of them are kinda pricey and it's not even clear which ones will fit!! Then there is the "spool" option... how do those attach? Sorry for the naive Q's.

thx, G.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts