Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have noticed that my fz dies if I have it in gear and put the kickstand down even with the clutch in. It stays running if it's in neutral and the stand goes down, just happens when it's in gear. I read about this in Another post but can't seem to find it now. Something about a connector that's not in all the way. Anyone have the same problem and know what connector is the issue?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have noticed that my fz dies if I have it in gear and put the kickstand down even with the clutch in. It stays running if it's in neutral and the stand goes down, just happens when it's in gear. I read about this in Another post but can't seem to find it now. Something about a connector that's not in all the way. Anyone have the same problem and know what connector is the issue?
Thats actually not a problem thats how it's designed. Bike won't start if it's in gear, clutch engaged, with the kickstand down either.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
There's good news in your post........The bike is working exactly as it was designed to do! This design keeps someone from pulling up and stopping, putting the sidestand down (engine running and in gear) and getting off the bike and starting to walk away from it. That scenario will not have a happy ending.......so they eliminated the possibility of doing it!

·
Registered
84 Posts
You don't want to start it up and ride away, not knowing the side stand is down, and find out when you take your first left hand turn. This could startle someone enough to panic and lay it down.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
At least once a week I kill the bike this way, by putting kickstand down while in first. Check to make sure switch is still working. Yours works.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you continue to use the kick-stand switch as a kill switch it will fail.

The switch is a hold out switch and the contacts will burn over time if current is put throught it to offten.

With some bikes even the kill switch will give trouble if continually use.

I recommend using the ignition switch, it is designed for high current loads just like a car.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When I twist my right wrist...the engine revs. Is this supposed to happen, I heard about it somewhere...but I can't find it now.

Reactions: Vigilante

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think anybody should be bagged for asking questions on this forum, even if some think the answer to the question is obvious, if people feel they can't get a answer without the bagging they will not enjoy the forum and will stop posting, then all that is left is people bagging eachother.

The forum is there for everybody to enjoy and to learn from, keep the transfer of knowledge flowing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think anybody should be bagged for asking questions on this forum, even if some think the answer to the question is obvious, if people feel they can't get a answer without the bagging they will not enjoy the forum and will stop posting, then all that is left is people bagging eachother.

The forum is there for everybody to enjoy and to learn from, keep the transfer of knowledge flowing.
I agree

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the useful information. And thanks for the sarcastic comments as well, always nice to learn pretty quick who "those guys" are. And for reference, this is my 3rd bike and the first to have this safety feature.

·
Registered
113 Posts

I also agree. It is the responsibility of the experienced to pass on their wisdom to the less experienced freely and without judgment.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I think I would miss some the those baggings as you call them if they stopped all together.. I wouldn't get my nightly chuckle that I have gotten for the last 7 months or so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's amazing how sensitive people are these days. The question was answered to its fullest extent and we made a joke afterwards. But I guess its also good to know who can't take a joke. To use your words, always nice to learn pretty quick who "those guys" are.
I'm not in any way sensitive, just don't see the point in your previous post. I can also take a joke in good context. However, you make it sound as it's common sense, when I wouldn't agree that it is. If you're not trying to be at all helpful, why bother posting when someone has a concern about their bike? Let's start a joke of the day thread or something and do our ragging there.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok so I picked up a 2014 FZ-09 last weekend. I went to go for a quick spin tonight. I wanted to let it warm up for a minute while I put my helmet and gloves on, but noticed that mine will not run at all with the kickstand down, even in neutral. Is this normal? At first I tried just holding the clutch in, but it wouldn't start with the kickstand down, so I sat on it, put the stand up and started it. But as soon as I put the stand down, it kills it again.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Ok so I picked up a 2014 FZ-09 last weekend. I went to go for a quick spin tonight. I wanted to let it warm up for a minute while I put my helmet and gloves on, but noticed that mine will not run at all with the kickstand down, even in neutral. Is this normal? At first I tried just holding the clutch in, but it wouldn't start with the kickstand down, so I sat on it, put the stand up and started it. But as soon as I put the stand down, it kills it again.
should start with stand down in neutral.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
... so for some reason your bike thinks it's in gear even when it's not? Does it indicate neutral on the display? It might have something to do with the gear position sensor or it's connector.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
... so for some reason your bike thinks it's in gear even when it's not? Does it indicate neutral on the display? It might have something to do with the gear position sensor or it's connector.
He sold the bike yesterday. He's now looking for a new bike that doesn't stall when you put the sidestand down.

Reactions: LSK
1 - 20 of 40 Posts