Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Great resource. Very comprehensive. Definitely a ton of information.

I just spent a half an hour reading the first part. Now my brain hurts!

Too bad proper suspension set up is so esoteric. Most folks have a hard time wrapping their mind around all it's intricacys. Guess that's why suspension shops stay busy practicing their craft.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I bought this book by Race Tech. It really breaks down suspension into easy to understand information, it also comes in a kindle edition.

Reactions: orangeblaze

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone know what sag should be set for standard commuting? I'm getting wildly different numbers around the internet. Some say 30mm for the front, 10mm for the rear, others say 35mm for the front, 30mm for the rear, etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lots of information there.
I saw another thread on here talking about the Kawasaki ZX6RR shock substitution.
Very cool idea and I believe we will be having a contest for some "free money" in case anybody wants to try it and is a little short on funds right now. Check out our contest thread for details!

:cool:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great thanks.. did a site:xxx Google search for 'FZ-09 Suggested Suspension Settings' and found this one.
It seems to go head to head what most forum members where saying on how to setup the 9er stock suspension.

2014 Yamaha FZ-09 Comparison - Motorcycle USA
FZ-09 Suspension Settings
Fork
Preload: Full-in (Max)
Rebound: 0.5 (Turns out)
Shock
Preload: Position 7 (Max)
Rebound: 1

real basic summary
Suspensions Metrics
Preload (spring tension, based on riders weight)
Damping (speed the springs squashes and return to normal)
- Compression (advanced damping control, speed the spring squashes)
- Rebound (advanced damping control, speed the spring returns to normal safer been squashed)

More from Go Star Racing
Or from Chris Macpherson Suspension Set Up Explained @http://www.uponone.com/howtos/4.pdf, he has great examples as well

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have any of you guys upgraded the fork springs to something more stiff? If so what would be the next spring up from stock? I'm 5'9" and I weigh about 185 without riding gear. I would like to choose a spring that doesn't require the preload to be dialled all the way in.

·
Registered
612 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
I know the common suspension complaint with the 09 is the forks are too soft if you're over 170lbs but what about the rear shock spring? Would the rear benefit from a firmer spring or does it just need to be tuned to the rider?

Regardless of springs I'm planning to get my suspension professionally tuned when I pick it up in March.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know the common suspension complaint with the 09 is the forks are too soft if you're over 170lbs but what about the rear shock spring? Would the rear benefit from a firmer spring or does it just need to be tuned to the rider?

Regardless of springs I'm planning to get my suspension professionally tuned when I pick it up in March.
The stock rear shock can't be modified, you will need to go aftermarket if you decide it is not good enough. It really depends on your riding skills and how much suspension tuning you normally do with your motorcycles, some people on the forum have been completely happy with the stock suspenders - your opinion may vary.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The stock rear shock can't be modified, you will need to go aftermarket if you decide it is not good enough. It really depends on your riding skills and how much suspension tuning you normally do with your motorcycles, some people on the forum have been completely happy with the stock suspenders - your opinion may vary.
That's surprising, I thought all springs shocks would have replacement spring options.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The stock shock has damping issues, the low dollar solution is a shock from some Kawasaki models. I'll be getting a Penske from Stoltec, they start at $600 something.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The stock shock has damping issues, the low dollar solution is a shock from some Kawasaki models. I'll be getting a Penske from Stoltec, they start at $600 something.
Ok do it's not that there aren't spring, instead the shock I flawed. I liked the looks of the Nitron offerings, they seem very well made.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Why not go with Stoltec?
Planning on Stoltec, on the list. While I didn't see the 09 pricing here the prices for various other sport bikes seemed inexpensive.
First time I have come across this brand. I also have a sportster project bike and was browsing shocks.These offered by this site seam way better that the traditional progressives.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, good to have a variety of choices on the market for 09 stuff. Different price points, and for people that buy shocks by color lol. I like Penske and Stoltec has been a great member of the forum and has but the time in developing 09 specific stuff, so I'm going with him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts