Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I visited a local motorcycle shop yesterday and sat on many bikes. I have been riding since summer and started with a Harley Sportster XL1200. The Sportster has a high center of gravity and makes me nervous riding it. I bought a Suzuki S40 which is a 650 cc bike that weighs around 350 lbs. The Harley is around 500 lb.

I like the size of the Suzuki and feel completely comfortable riding it, but it is not the highest quality bike and I would like something that doesn't backfire every time I let off the throttle. For Christmas, I bought my husband a Honda Shadow Spirit, which is 750 cc and around 500 lbs. I have no problem riding that bike.

Anyway, since there really isn't much else on the cruiser side, I started looking at the sport bikes. I'm not a fan of the "regular" sport bikes with the plastic, but I do like the naked bikes. I also want an upright seating position. The FZ-09 was the most comfortable bike. I read in another post that this would be insane for a newish rider. I have back issues and can't lean over on something like a Ninja.

So, for a 5'5" 120 lb female rider, is there a naked bike that you guys could recommend? Or, would the FZ be okay? Thanks!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Give it a try/ride if you can at the dealership

The FZ09 is spec-ced for 140-160 LB weight riders so you might have to do the suspension up (at around 1K)

It accelerates faster than the BMW S1000RR (bu 0.3 seconds i believe , 2.9 S ) form 0-6- MPH so its... very very fast.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It is a big motor on a small bike...but I almost think a new female rider would do better on it than a new guy...more self control perhaps...call me crazy.

Check out the new Suzuki SFV650...smaller bike, similar style, but it's a twin
Also check out the Kawasaki versys, a 650cc I4...i never rode one of these

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'll give you the same advice that I did Impala.........in another thread. Get some miles and experience before you move to something like the FZ09. It's NOT a beginner bike.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the last thing I want to do is pull up the front tire! I'm just looking for a bike around the 360-400 lb point that doesn't pop when I let off the gas and doesn't take ten minutes to warm up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hey Jen. To echo triplethreat, the FZ-09 is NOT a beginner bike, this is a serious fast bike. Have a look @ the new Honda 500cc twins. They have gotten great reviews.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was fine was the power of the Harley, it was just 500 lbs...not well balanced either. I have no desire to even go more than 45 mph. Hah.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Yeah, the last thing I want to do is pull up the front tire! I'm just looking for a bike around the 360-400 lb point that doesn't pop when I let off the gas and doesn't take ten minutes to warm up.
Does the S-40 have an aftermarket exhaust on it? The reason that I'm asking is that putting and aftermarket exhaust on a bike and not doing anything with the jetting or fuel injection (not familiar enough with the S-40 to know whether it's fuel injected or carbs), a lot of times causes the motor to run lean and you will get the popping on deceleration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is going to be an unpopular first post, but I was in a similar position as you and I ended up purchasing an FZ-09 last week.

I'm 5'5" and 160, and have neck and back problems that limit me to an upright sport. This will be my first bike since I was a small kid. I looked high and low for something comparable to the FZ-09. The closest has been mentioned here already, the SFV650.

However, I had my father (a *long* time rider), who's opinion I highly trust, come into town and ride the FZ-09 for me in all three modes and really test the limits. I chose the FZ-09 because we could both see me growing out of the SFV650 quickly. I'd have to take a loss on selling it around the corner. The FZ-09 winned out because it was also the most comfortable seating position and weight distribution to me, and was the best overall value between both bikes when compared new.

All that said however, I am very confident that I will limit myself as long as needed on this bike, which was the ultimate deciding factor. I've had it for a week and haven't even taken it outside of a few neighborhood streets yet, and it will be in nothing but B mode until I am completely confident in my abilities at this point before progressing.

I respect the bike and it's power, and fully understand that it can provide much more than I am capable of handling at my current riding capacity. Understand that the bike will do exactly what you tell it to do. Throttle control is essential. If you don't feel like you have this on the FZ-09, choose something different.

I've accepted the fact that this is my parking lot buddy for now until I am confident in not only my throttle control, shifting, and braking, but also until my swerving, emergency braking, and skid responses are engrained. I'm content to keep it that way for as long as necessary. You've been riding for awhile, so in my opinion, if you can control yourself enough, go for it!

Now, in the week that I've had the bike, there are some things I'd like to share. It met the ground on my first day. A weight shift on a bad stop had it leaned just enough to where I just could not hold the bike up with my foot placement. I had to let it go the rest of the way.. minor mirror and case scratch, which a full set of sliders went on the next day for, to protect against in the future. It's a light bike, but it's easy for that weight to get away from you at your build.

Second, the stock throttle on the FZ-09 was too hard for me. After half an hour I was killing it in 1st because the tendinitis in my hand flared up and I just couldn't keep the release smooth past a certain point. I now have an adjustable straight throttle lever and a mechanical ez-pull added, which has improved the release control for me. Make sure you take this into account if you have any other joint or muscle issues.

I'd love to hear back once you've decided on a bike!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I brought in the Shadow to get inspected and went next door. I sat on the SV650, it was almost comfortable. It was also the same 8k.as the Yamaha. I also sat on a ninja. I was not in love. The FZ made an impression. Sigh.

The back thing is from two car accidents where I was rear ended on my way home from work, at the same exit on a parkway in NY. You can't make this stuff up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hey Jen! Welcome to the forum!

A lot of good advice in this thread already, especially Meridians (if there was ever a post explaining EXACTLY why a newer rider should not buy an FZ-09, that is it).

If you are set on a new bike, I'd point you towards the new Honda CB500X based on what you've said. It's upright, has a more comfortable seat than the FZ, has a torquey parallel twin engine, decent wind protection, averages 53mpg, and weighs 400lbs - maybe the perfect bike for cruising at 45mph! :) Plus I believe they are a grand or two less than the Yamaha, at least they are here in Canada.

Regardless of what you choose, gear up and take your time getting to know the new bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
^^^^That's a good lookin bike right there^^^^

·
Registered
962 Posts
Kawasaki Versys - sporty and comfortable. old technology, 454lbs
Honda NC700X - comfortable, not so sporty -best gas mileage you'll ever get. Very smooth power delivery, great as a commuter - 475lbs
Honda CB500X - comfortable, fairly sporty - lighter than the NC700X (430lbs vs 475)

Wait a few months and get the Yamaha FZ-07. Sporty, lighter even than the fz-09 (360lbs vs 414) - better fuel mileage - and cheaper to insure. FWIW - it's styled similar to the FZ-09, but with several things that I prefer (the dash is centered, I like it's tail better...).

Insurance costs will vary greatly - check around before buying so you don't get a good price on a bike you can't afford to insure. My insurance company quoted me $225 for the NC700x and over $1000 for the FZ-09. I was leaning towards an NC700X until the FZ09 showed up (for carrying my daughter it would be better - but I was a bad daddy and gave in to what I wanted)... I switched back to Dairyland insurance for $600 on the FZ-09... One way to get lower insurance is to keep your old bike and make the new one the second on a policy - or get a small enduro or scooter to be your primary. For young drivers, or drivers with a questionable record it can really save a lot.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I thought the FZ 07 wasn't coming to the U.S.???? Did I miss something here?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I would suggest you go to yamahamotor corp. Facebook page and demand that they bring the brand new MT-07 to the USA. It sounds like it would be the perfect bike for you, and many other people as well.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, do sport bike dealers let you demo the bikes? If I was able to ride the '09, even if just around the parking lot, I would have an idea if I wanted the bike. The dealer I went to said that they don't offer test rides. The Harley dealer will let you demo a new 25k bike and I can't demo an 8k Yamaha. Weird.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It depends on the size of the dealership and how many they have. I know one who bought a demo bike just for giving test rides...your dealer may have only 1 fz...in which case they can't give rides on it. Where in pa are you? Maybe someone on this forum could give you a test ride. I am in philly, for one. There are some folks in the lehigh valley/ easton area also...where else?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
To echo everybody else...not a beginner bike, and there are a lot of other options. The 09 definitely helps with back pain...i had a FZ6R which is upright too but it hurt after about 20 minutes. I'm surprised your suzuki backfires, I bet it has an aftermarket exhaust that wasn't done right. I have a friend with a S50 and his had no issues with backfires. S stands for sport and C is either cruiser or comfort in suzuki terms and the m's are supposed to be in between. Definitely get a test ride in before you buy it...its an amazing motorcycle, but it kicked my ass and i have about a years worth of experience on a 600cc inline 4 and i went down within a few weeks although i was being foolish. ride safe!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
^^^^That's a good lookin bike right there^^^^
The new honda's are great looking bikes! I like the new CB1000R, thats a mean looking motorcycle

·
Registered
418 Posts
I seriously do not understand why you guys are saying the FZ09 is not for a new rider? It is so tame compared to 600 sport bikes (which 90% of new riders start on) it's an upright riding position, handles great, brakes are decent, and only makes 115hp. So many people say to start out on a 600. Yes it makes more power than a typical 600, but the power is delivered much different than a 600. It weighs more so power to weight is about the same. With a 600 the power hits all at once. With the FZ it's there from low to high rpm's. I think it makes the perfect starter bike. Ride one, or buy one. You have some experience riding and will be fine.

And they let people ride Harleys because the typical Harley rider won't even go the speed limit! LOL

1 - 20 of 78 Posts