Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Aha...not only because it is the fastest color, but...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Have I been mispronouncing the name of the bike all this time? I pronounce it like this: F Z O 9.
The guys in the video pronounced it like this: F Zed O 9

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
he didn't use the back brake because that's how he learned how to ride - is this guy serious?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Have I been mispronouncing the name of the bike all this time? I pronounce it like this: F Z O 9.
Potatoe , patattoe. Tomatoe , tomattoe. I love my bike !!!!!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
F Zed is in Canada... Or UK. Like a 240 Z is a 240 Zed.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
he didn't use the back brake because that's how he learned how to ride - is this guy serious?
I rarely ever touch my rear brake. It should only be used for emergency situations or hard braking from high speeds. and even those situations you only need a little bit of it.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I rarely ever touch my rear brake. It should only be used for emergency situations or hard braking from high speeds. and even those situations you only need a little bit of it.
I understand your habit, but realize it is a bad habit and there are a lot better ways to use the brakes and it is to your benefit to learn to use them better so you can better, more safely avoid an accident.

If you are going to use the rear brake for emergency situations, you need to use the rear brake often so you have a good feel for it. If you don't use the rear brake often (like every time you come to a stop) you will just lock up the rear wheel in an emergency braking situation.

Locking up the rear wheel will probably make things worse as it is harder to release the brakes and swerve around an obstacle if the rear wheel is locked up. That is a great way to high side... It is very difficult to steer the bike with the rear wheel locked up.

As for other uses of the rear brake, I suggest reading Nick Ienatch's book or watch what the racers do. They use the rear brake to keep the rear tire in line while braking for a corner. This technique really adds a lot of control at corner entry and mid corner, at any speed.

They also use the rear brake for trailbraking. Also adding control at mid corner.

Just a few uses for the rear brake.

I understand not using the rear brake as the front brake is very powerful. But you have to admit to yourself that you are giving up a lot of control that way.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I had to chuckle out loud when the tester talked about the front end suspension....and how stiff it was. Really? Seriously? Unless he had a totally different bike than what all of us have....the front end of the bike, stock, is absolutely horrible....it's got more front end dive on braking than my ST1300, and it's pretty bad. Fortunately, there are solutions pretty easily obtainable.....especially through Stol-Tec Moto.

Reactions: motomania

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had to chuckle out loud when the tester talked about the front end suspension....and how stiff it was. Really? Seriously? Unless he had a totally different bike than what all of us have....the front end of the bike, stock, is absolutely horrible....it's got more front end dive on braking than my ST1300, and it's pretty bad. Fortunately, there are solutions pretty easily obtainable.....especially through Stol-Tec Moto.
Kind of a puff piece, but good publicity for the bike I guess...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
All these awards and I didn't notice a reference to the Rapid Red. WTF?:cool:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I always use my rear brake in conjunction with the front, just how I was taught. I will also apply just enough pressure to it to light my brake light when downshifting to come to a stop.

If he thought Rapid Red was too much bike for a beginner, its a good thing he wasn't testing Liquid Graphite. Would have blown his mind.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
i figured he meant the suspension felt harsh when hitting bumps.
He may have, but I never found ANYTHING in the front end of my bike stiff. Front end dive when hard braking was flat out scary, getting the loaded sag was almost impossible, and the rebound and compression damping was horrible. Pretty much sums it up for me.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I always use my rear brake in conjunction with the front, just how I was taught. I will also apply just enough pressure to it to light my brake light when downshifting to come to a stop.

If he thought Rapid Red was too much bike for a beginner, its a good thing he wasn't testing Liquid Graphite. Would have blown his mind.
I am far from an experienced rider yet the Rapid Red is so "refined & powerful," it makes everyone Ride Like a Pro:cool:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I understand your habit, but realize it is a bad habit and there are a lot better ways to use the brakes and it is to your benefit to learn to use them better so you can better, more safely avoid an accident.

If you are going to use the rear brake for emergency situations, you need to use the rear brake often so you have a good feel for it. If you don't use the rear brake often (like every time you come to a stop) you will just lock up the rear wheel in an emergency braking situation.

Locking up the rear wheel will probably make things worse as it is harder to release the brakes and swerve around an obstacle if the rear wheel is locked up. That is a great way to high side... It is very difficult to steer the bike with the rear wheel locked up.

As for other uses of the rear brake, I suggest reading Nick Ienatch's book or watch what the racers do. They use the rear brake to keep the rear tire in line while braking for a corner. This technique really adds a lot of control at corner entry and mid corner, at any speed.

They also use the rear brake for trailbraking. Also adding control at mid corner.

Just a few uses for the rear brake.

I understand not using the rear brake as the front brake is very powerful. But you have to admit to yourself that you are giving up a lot of control that way.
Well I subscribe to a different philosophy, one that makes scientific sense. When I first started riding I made an effort to use both brakes, and I was very good at modulating the two in a good balance. But after researching this topic, I found that the rear brake is not very effective and will only distract you from all the controls that need the most attention.

Keith Code said it best:

"It is my recommendation that you master using only the front brake except when riding in slippery conditions. Locking the back brake also puts the bike out of control. The rear wheel, spinning, provides the vast majority of stability for the bike from the steering head back. In other words, everything but the front end is kept stable by the gyro force of the spinning rear wheel.

The obvious mathematics of the situation are that the front wheel can do 100% of the braking and the back at that point just locks up no matter who you are. Learn to totally rely on the front brake for quick, clean stopping; then, if you still have a use for the rear, go ahead and use it. But realize that the rear brake is the source of a huge number of crashes both on and off the track. I'll leave the final decision up to you. While it is true that a motorcycle will come to a full stop quicker with both brakes applied, in racing, you don't come to a full stop until you're done."

Im not sure which racers use the rear brake, but I can't think of one time I've ever seen a MotoGP rider use the rear brake.

I don't know Nick Ienatch too well and I'm sure he's well experienced trainer. But everything I've learned from Code makes sense in my head, so that's what I will stick with.

btw, rear brake during trail braking sounds very dangerous and i'm sure less effective than using the front. Anyone can hit the rear brake, but it takes skill to master the front brakes all by themselves.

Also, during the 2 days I spent at super bike school, not once did anyone ever mention the rear brake. Your foot should always be planted on the pegs except when shifting.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Bike of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen amen amen amen amen amen amen amen.

I love this bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention I really like this bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Few.... I am exhausted. Think I will go ride my FZ!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts