Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a used 2015 FZ-09. It had 30,000 miles on it. When I got it home, I did a full check on it. Changed oil, battery, air filter, chain, brakes, spark plugs. For the first week, it was starting fine and running amazing! Just a few days ago, whenever I would ride it for 20 minutes, stop to do whatever, then go to start the bike back up, it won’t start. Happens when the bike is in first gear or neutral. It starts eventually, but after 3-4 times. The check engine light comes on, but there is no code showing. I looked through the forums a bit already, and have tried a few of the recommendations with no success. I just need some help...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
My first instinct is to think voltage issue. Is the battery original? (I know you said you checked it, but I'd still have a look at it.)

My bike rarely does something similar where if I go to start the bike and my finger/thumb slips off the switch for a second, it will NOT start if I go to re-engage the starter. I have to cycle the key off and on before it'll start. Just a strange quirk I can't explain, but it does it.

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first instinct is to think voltage issue. Is the battery original? (I know you said you checked it, but I'd still have a look at it.)

My bike rarely does something similar where if I go to start the bike and my finger/thumb slips off the switch for a second, it will NOT start if I go to re-engage the starter. I have to cycle the key off and on before it'll start. Just a strange quirk I can't explain, but it does it.
I changed the battery to a new one just a few days ago because I thought that was the problem, but unfortunetly it happened again just this morning. I rode it for about 20 minutes, stopped, went back out to go home and the bike struggled so hard turning on. Its turning over but still not starting. And the weird thing is that its not consistent. It doesn’t do it every time I go out, but just enough that its concerning.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,326 Posts
Once the bike cools off it starts fine again? I'm thinking a possible fuel delivery issue - maybe vapor lock (wasn't there an issue like that with CA models?)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Once the bike cools off it starts fine again? I'm thinking a possible fuel delivery issue - maybe vapor lock (wasn't there an issue like that with CA models?)
Yeah, that's a good idea too.
@fz_rae , is the fuel cap/door hard to open? (vaccum stuck.)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Rule out the gas... My FZ seems VERY picky. I had my 'go to station' a while back but had similar issues. not after short rides, but would take a couple of cranking attempts before it'd fire and start. I'd suggest running the tank as low as you can get it, pour in some stabilizer, and top it off at a different station. See if it changes the behavior at all.

Start with the simple stuff!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had similar issues with the bike struggling to re-start once hot. Recent service - the mechanic discovered a number of rubber bungs on the throttle body had perished and were leaking air. He replaced them all and now it re-starts without issue. Worth having a look at. Upside was it is also pulling hard mid-range now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts