Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Loud vacuum cleaner like noise coming from under/behind headlight after about a 2 hour ride. It happened when I put the kick stand down while still in gear and the bike turned off. It stopped when I turned the key to off. What's going on?

Edit: "making" wasn't really the right word to use because it did stop, and I do think/hope that this is normal but I just would like to have a better understanding.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The fan well continue running until you turn the key to "off" or the coolant temp drops. If you used the kickstand or kill switch to turn the motor off but did not kill power to the bike via the ignition then the fan can / will run.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yup. Just the radiator fan. Once temperature goes below 170 or so (maybe 200- not sure), it normally shuts off. Stays on till you turn the bike off. Like a overheating laptop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm? maybe the radiator fan it stays on until the key shuts it off.
The sound was coming from that vicinity but it was like it went into hyper mode when the engine turned off. It was pretty dang loud. Louder than the engine when I started it back up.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I'm going to make three guesses...........

A. Radiator Fan

B. Radiator Fan

C. Radiator Fan

If it none of the above, you accidently bought a Hoover by mistake! :cool:

Seriously........it's your Radiator Fan.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Rode a hoover once, it was one fast sucker..

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
This whole thread about vacuum's sucks.:(

Reactions: Lateralus

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Jeez guys, now I'm feeling pretty foolish for asking such a silly question. I am admittedly a noob. :eek:
NO such thing as a silly question if it was asked in earnest. The only silly questions are the ones that had meaning to someone and went unasked.:cool:

Members are here to help & to be entertained at the same time.:)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
The difference between a hoover and a Harley is the placement of the dirt bag.

This thread made me laugh. I remember on my first bike, the first time my fan kicked on it freaked me out at how loud it was and it took me a few seconds to realize it was just the radiator fan.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I must confess, so The Lich don't feel too bad. My last bike was air cooled, so the first time I rode the FZ I was at a light and the fan kicked in and I was like "Ah shit, something just broke in this thing" and it took me a few seconds to realize that it was the fan.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Every single bike makes it's own noises. I had two R6's at one point and each had their usual ticking and clacking, but they were slightly different despite being the same motor (only difference was throttle body size) You'll eventually learn what's normal for your model of bike, and then what's normal for YOUR bike lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts