Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an FZ09 a few weeks ago and recently I have a run into a problem that has gotten worse over the past few days. First problem was that when I would start to roll of the throttle in any gear and any rpm, the bike would seem to misfire and jerk pretty bad. Then it started to do it when I was accelerating, not ideal when you aren't expecting it. Yesterday it started cutting out while cruising. Out of nowhere, slightly rolling off the throttle, the bike would lose power, sound like it's trying to run but isn't and t's real jerky. I do not want to ride anymore because it's too dangerous, especially when turning. Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this? I've tried searching around for a long time but couldn't find anyone with the same problem. Any ideas would be much appreciated, going to replace the spark plugs tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
If I was confronted with a problem such as yours I would dump an entire bottle of Seafoam fuel treatment into the fuel tank and ride it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
If you are misfiring and you ride the bike for any length of time, you stand the risk of damaging the catalyst, or worse yet, the pistons. Depending on how many miles you have on the bile, you may need new plugs. I would pull the plugs and look at the condition an replace them with new iridium plugs. Seafoam is dangerous to a motorcycle engine if used improperly.

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are misfiring and you ride the bike for any length of time, you stand the risk of damaging the catalyst, or worse yet, the pistons. Depending on how many miles you have on the bile, you may need new plugs. I would pull the plugs and look at the condition an replace them with new iridium plugs. Seafoam is dangerous to a motorcycle engine if used improperly.
I am not going to ride it until I fix the problem, trying to replace the plugs but this steering damper security torx bolt it a bugger, my t50 didn't fit...

·
Registered
2015 Yamaha FZ-09
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I was confronted with a problem such as yours I would dump an entire bottle of Seafoam fuel treatment into the fuel tank and ride it. Best of luck.
Yeah I was planning on using some sort of fuel injection cleaner just to narrow down the causes, thanks for the input

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
3,089 Posts
That article was pretty vague. “You can’t use Seafoam on water-cooled 4-strokes. Or with fuel injected engines. Only air-cooled 2-strokes with carbs. But not if they’re older. Maybe you can, but probably not.” I think the guy just has a thing about Seafoam…

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I got an FZ09 a few weeks ago and recently I have a run into a problem that has gotten worse over the past few days. First problem was that when I would start to roll of the throttle in any gear and any rpm, the bike would seem to misfire and jerk pretty bad. Then it started to do it when I was accelerating, not ideal when you aren't expecting it. Yesterday it started cutting out while cruising. Out of nowhere, slightly rolling off the throttle, the bike would lose power, sound like it's trying to run but isn't and t's real jerky. I do not want to ride anymore because it's too dangerous, especially when turning. Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this? I've tried searching around for a long time but couldn't find anyone with the same problem. Any ideas would be much appreciated, going to replace the spark plugs tomorrow.
Do you have a workshop manual and a multimeter? Repeated missing is usually ignition based, although very lean mixtures can cause it. I'd change the plugs as a matter of course, then start testing coils etc. Also check for vacuum leaks in the induction system. I'd also check the filter on the fuel pump. Start with the easy things.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
188 Posts
The only quick solution I'd try is a techron-based fuel injector cleaner, such as Gumout Regane. But the symptoms sound too far gone for that. More likely a bad coil, etc. as others have suggested.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
This guy doesn't have a thing against Seafoam. Pouring a ton of it into a motorcycle with a serious problem is not a good idea. In fact, it is not a cure all for an undiagnosed problem. I had to replace two valve cover gaskets in a V6 Accord coupe, not an easy task removing the intake, shortly after using Seafoam fuel treatment in a full 15 gallon tank. I do use an ounce of Startron every time I fill up my motorcycle tanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This guy doesn't have a thing against Seafoam. Pouring a ton of it into a motorcycle with a serious problem is not a good idea. In fact, it is not a cure all for an undiagnosed problem. I had to replace two valve cover gaskets in a V6 Accord coupe, not an easy task removing the intake, shortly after using Seafoam fuel treatment in a full 15 gallon tank. I do use an ounce of Startron every time I fill up my motorcycle tanks.
I'm reading that as Seafoam made you have to replace valve cover gaskets. Surely, that can't be right.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
They weren't leaking before I put it in. Probably cleared carbon buildup that was keeping them from leaking. BTW, I am a service manager for a car repair facility.

·
Super Moderator
4,449 Posts
I recall working in a gas station where the mechanic convinced a little old lady to change the oil in her 1953 Chevy that had hadn't had the oil changed in years. The loosened sludge clogged her oil pickup and the motor went south.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Not once in the years I was a mechanic did anyone in the trade use an additive in place of inspection and diagnosis.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They weren't leaking before I put it in. Probably cleared carbon buildup that was keeping them from leaking. BTW, I am a service manager for a car repair facility.
How do you reckon fuel treatment got in to the valve cover gasket area?

If you said fuel treatment dissolved your intake gaskets, ok...if it's not direct injection and you're working with a wet intake tract. But there's no fuel present in the rocker boxes, correct?

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Any unburnt additive during combustion mixes with the oil in the barrel used to lubricate the pistons and rings, thus ending up in the crankcase. True, very little in higher combustion engines, more so with Honda's with VCM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts