Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was wondering if I get some help. I just bought a 2015 fz 09 and everything was working fine I drove it a few kMs then parked it. I fired it up a few days later everything fine. Next time I go to start it a few days later it fired up then died. Following it had to crank a few times but fired up shortly before dying again. Since then it has only cranked and check engine light comes on after a few cranks. I had a new battery put in and figured the gas had just been in the tank for awhile so I syphoned it out and put premium with some fuel conditioner in and still won’t fire up. Anyone have any idea before I go chasing some spark plugs?

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Hey guys I was wondering if I get some help. I just bought a 2015 fz 09 and everything was working fine I drove it a few kMs then parked it. I fired it up a few days later everything fine. Next time I go to start it a few days later it fired up then died. Following it had to crank a few times but fired up shortly before dying again. Since then it has only cranked and check engine light comes on after a few cranks. I had a new battery put in and figured the gas had just been in the tank for awhile so I syphoned it out and put premium with some fuel conditioner in and still won’t fire up. Anyone have any idea before I go chasing some spark plugs?
That seems to me something like the tip over switch, a bad sensor or a loose connection, not spark plugs. Did the bike get wet? Also, don't worry about the CEL unless it's on while the engine is running.
Something like this is normally a simple fix but maddening to find. I was under the impression the 15 has the diagnostic feature but I didn't see any codes in your video. In your post you mentioned putting in fresh "premium" but the fuel gauge is reading empty.
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: alnbama

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think your fuel sending unit/pump somehow got unplugged. Check the electrical connection on the bottom of the fuel tank.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fuel pump is fine, that can be heard when the key is cycled on. How many miles on this bike? I would bet the plugs are shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would it make sense the plugs are shot because the first time it died it started no problem?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
No, that wouldn't make sense.

I'd say a an electrical short somewhere and or combination of dead battery.

Or secondly, a fuel issue. But I'd say electrical.

Not spark related.

But I've been wrong before, ask my wife...

Reactions: shamrock

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not sure how much gas you put in it but I'd try put in at least another half gallon (blinking gauge) and give it a shot. Could be as simple as gas not high enough to reach the fuel pickup.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's not the battery, that should be obvious since the bike has a strong crank over and its supposedly new. Heres what you need to do. 1st Crank the bike over a few times then turn the key off. Then remove the tank and airbox. Then pull one of the plugs and see if its wet and smells strong of fuel. If the plugs are wet and smell strong of fuel then you have weak or no spark. Also, like stated above. You should put enough fuel in the bike to atleast register 1 full bar.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Depending how the OP drained the bad fuel from the tank the lines an injectors could still have contaminated fuel. I think the plugs could be fouled with bad fuel. I 've ran original plugs on a bike for 35k miles with no issues. If a bike is running and then just quits there is always a logic path to follow. There are good suggestions here to check. It always come down to air/fuel/spark.

Good luck!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Also, get yourself a ODBII adapter and scanner so you can see the codes for the check engine. This will help narrow down where your issue is. I made an adapter and use the BlueDriver ODBii Scanner. I can get/clear codes easy. Search the forum and you will find guides.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I had a similar issue several years ago that ended up just being the fuel. The bike still ran pretty crappily for a while even after I siphoned the old out and put in new with extra stabilizer. Did you crank it a while after the fresh gas was put in to make sure the old was fully purged?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
711 Posts
You need to pull the plugs to start working towards a fix. Also make sure the battery is fully charged, maybe even have it on a charger while your working so it doesn't drain down.
1. remove stuff till you can get the plugs out.
1.5 put back tank so you have fuel.
2. Crank bike for 10 seconds.
3. Remove plugs & inspect - are they wet or dry?

If wet then replace with new plugs and try again.
If it still doesn't start then place a plug back in the wire and hold (with your hand on the rubber/plastic parts) the metal part of the plug against the frame/engine. Crank and look to see if you have a nice blue spark? If your hand is touching the metal part of the plug be prepared for the shock of your life!

If the plugs are dry then you have a fuel issue.

Post back with your findings (or another video) and we'll move on to the next step in troubleshooting.

Reactions: Rydogg420

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
If its bad fuel it'll run badly, but it'll run, not start and die. It's clearly getting spark because it starts, but it may then lose the spark.
It sounds most likely that fuel supply is not enough to sustain running. Perhaps a dirty filter or some US bikes have had issues with the evap canister.
I've also seen cases years ago where ign was live while cranking then stopped when cranking stopped. How long does the bike run for when it fires up?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
711 Posts
Agree that it probaly isn't bad fuel - however if your re-read the original post you notice that it progressed from 'running' to 'hard to start' to 'starts and then dies' to 'doesn't start at all'. This sounds like some component going bad and has now finally failed, could still be either spark or fuel related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's good you haven't already gone and replaced those plugs, that's what I did and created a bunch of different problems, I'm not a mechanic in any sense of the word so I don't have any technical advice except don't go and try to fix something you have never done before, I have a 2015 FZ-09 something was flashing when you were trying to start it, take it to a motorcycle shop you trust or that someone you know trust, maybe your mechanically inclined and can't afford a shop to fix it but they can look at it and tell you what's wrong and then you decide. I know this probably not what you want to hear but let a professional motorcycle mechanic look at it .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi bro,

Your bike is 2015 version and just 6,000km riding. Please check and clean gasoline filter. I had the same problem with my 2016 MT when it met 11,000km. May be in Vietnam, Gasoline is not clean enough but it makes you bike be off.

Don’t fulfill your tank if your bike in unused condition. And, with FI, don’t let the fuel tanks below 2 lines if you ride it everyday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fuel light is flashing, first thing i'd do is fill tank. Might not be enough in there for the fuel pickup, bad gas not diluted enough etc etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts