Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone find a good solid fitting cover for their XRS/MT/FZ? My bike lives outdoors 99% of the time, and if I'm not planning to ride I try to keep it covered. My current cover was only a so-so fit, and now it has a hole in it. With winter pretty much here its time for a new cover and I was wondering if anyone has found something they really like?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Anyone find a good solid fitting cover for their XRS/MT/FZ? My bike lives outdoors 99% of the time, and if I'm not planning to ride I try to keep it covered. My current cover was only a so-so fit, and now it has a hole in it. With winter pretty much here its time for a new cover and I was wondering if anyone has found something they really like?
I use a Nelson Rigg half-cover but I only use it while on road trips in hotel parking lots, I have had it for a few seasons and it has been very durable. If I stored my bike outside I would get the full length version.
Make sure to read the description carefully before purchase as some are listed as a dust cover or some others as indoor cover, some are only slightly water repellent while others are water proof.
The lightweight ones stretch and are meant to pack down small for storage while travelling and the really durable ones stay one size and just fold up like a blanket.

·
Registered
2020 XSR900
19 Posts
I used a Dowco cover for a while and was really pleased with it. I believe it was the "Weatherall Plus" in the sportbike size? It's water-resistant, has elastic around the edges to wrap around the bike, and a clip to buckle it closed around the middle of the bike. There are also holes near the front wheel area that I put a beefy chain through. I'm not certain which size I got, but it worked great for having my bike parked on a college campus - the cover and chain lock kept people pretty disinterested while protecting it a fair deal from the elements as well.

Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Motorcycle Cover

·
Registered
yamaha mt-09 SP 2022
23 Posts
hai
I got this one works just fine it dosent get any cheeper i think

br

·
Registered
689 Posts
I am using OxGord covers (probably an Oxford knock-off). On amazon I see the last order in 2014 and now (2022) they are starting to develop holes. The elastic fails but I use a short bungee under the engine and hook it to the 2 nylon eyelets to stop the wind blowing it off.
Looks like they stopped making them :(

·
Registered
296 Posts
The mt 09 has a pretty short wheel base for its CC. The Cover I got is for 500CC bikes and it fits like a glove. If the cover is to big the wind will pull it of at the wheels and expose chain and brakes. Not so good if you leave it for longer periods.

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
Figure I'll also remind you guys using motorcycle covers outside, to be mindful of wind.
I've picked up motorcycles left out in the parking lots where they've blown over. The cover acts like a big sail.
Maybe position the bike against walls or other wind blocks. Or, tether the bike down as well.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Just be warned that for long term use the cover has to come off and be aired from time to time, the bike too.
Many covers trap condensation inside.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Personally, I would recommend an indoor rental storage unit to avoid the aforementioned wind issues but more importantly the moisture taken on by the exposed metal components.
The corrosion can be exacerbated but the hot/cold daily temp changes on the warmer, sunny days especially towards the spring months.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
307 Posts
I'm in the same position, although my winters here in Houston are milder than most.

I've used this cover for the last 3 years (since Feb 2019). When it's about to rain I cover the bike, or when I know I won't ride it for more than 2 days in a row as well. So far it's excellent at repelling water, none has got in through the top. It's faded/sun bleached quite a bit but still functions well and shows no significant sign of weakening/cracking. The only downside is that the cover, while pretty appropriately sized, is still pretty loose especially on the bottom part. When the wind picks up it the whole thing serves as sort of a net to catch all the ****ing sand/dust in my neighborhood.

My recommendation is to get one of those tight stretchy ones that cover the top half of your bike (i.e. most of the painted parts), and then use this cheapo one as your waterproofing top layer. I bet if you get creative and stake down the cover so it's flush to the ground it'll be awesome at keeping dust out as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just replaced the 2 covers I used with Oxgord covers (no longer made??) Old ones lasted 8 years in PHX
They fit my FZ just fine and my longer wheelbase 1100G
They do not fold up very small if you want to pack it on the bike
Sleeve Font Electric blue Thumb Brand
Sculpture Art Wood Comfort Creative arts

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you leave the bike covered in the sun for longer periods I guess its a good idea to use a ventilated cover. If you are like me and remove it now and then I think you could do with a cheaper one. This one has a tight fit and stay on in windy conditions, important when there is a lot of snow and you just want to get going in the morning.
Snow Plant Freezing Geological phenomenon Event

1 - 16 of 16 Posts