Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Update:

Called the dealer today. It has been 3 weeks (!!!) since dropping the bike off.

The official consumption rate was found to be 1/2 qt of oil over 1000mi, which is well out of spec. The service dept has been working with Yamaha and they want the dealer to do a leakdown test to check for leaks in the rings. Evidently Yamaha has been slow to get back with the dealer, making this whole ordeal take that much longer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Update:

Called the dealer today. It has been 3 weeks (!!!) since dropping the bike off.

The official consumption rate was found to be 1/2 qt of oil over 1000mi, which is well out of spec. The service dept has been working with Yamaha and they want the dealer to do a leakdown test to check for leaks in the rings. Evidently Yamaha has been slow to get back with the dealer, making this whole ordeal take that much longer.
This sucks man, I feel for you. I'm not sure why this is just generally accepted as ok by most dealers to have someone's vehicle for this long. If it's your only transportation, you're screwed.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Talk to the dealer again and if it is out of his hands let him know you're calling the district rep. and do so. That's what I'd do. Pretty crappy new bike experience.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I also had a ton of black crap on my muffler the first day i took it out, but i also beet the crap out of it in the twists day 1. Hasn't consumed any oil and no longer spits out black crap all over the muffler. Hard break in for the win.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Do you have a link to a thread where someone is having the same issues? I looked and couldn't find any...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I broke an R1 in easy....never again!
It used oil from day one.

Broke my FZ in slightly less agressive than normal spirited riding.
It doesn't use any oil that I can detect.

·
Banned
486 Posts
i broke mine in easy up until 350 miles. then the adrenaline got to me and i started doing top speed runs. no oil being consumed

·
Super Moderator
4,208 Posts
Sorry about the high rate of oil consumption. I can't imagine how Yamaha will make good on that.
I wish you the best with getting it sorted out and I would ride it until Yamaha is ready to fix it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Called again. The compression/leakdown check showed no leaks at the rings. Yamaha is having them check the air box now... I think a call to Yamaha is next.

The bike's been at the shop 4 weeks now.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Ask for a loaner bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Called again. The compression/leakdown check showed no leaks at the rings. Yamaha is having them check the air box now... I think a call to Yamaha is next.

The bike's been at the shop 4 weeks now.
Definitely call them and let them know how long you've been w/o the bike. Ask for a new bike or a loaner until they can fix yours. If they do fix it make sure you have them give you a multiple year extended warranty for piece of mind.

If you don't get the response you like from Yamaha look into the Lemon Laws in your state. I had to use it last year on a bike that spent multiple weeks in the dealership waiting on warranty parts.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Definitely call them and let them know how long you've been w/o the bike. Ask for a new bike or a loaner until they can fix yours. If they do fix it make sure you have them give you a multiple year extended warranty for piece of mind.

If you don't get the response you like from Yamaha look into the Lemon Laws in your state. I had to use it last year on a bike that spent multiple weeks in the dealership waiting on warranty parts.
Typically lemon laws require a vehicle to have three failures within a set timeframe before you can make a claim.

I understand it sucks to have a vehicle down, but finding the problem when it's lacking several of the typical indicators which would cause oil consumption takes time. The dealer doesn't want the bike sitting in their shop any longer than it needs to be, warranty work makes them no profit and impedes on their regular service schedule. One failure is far from lemon law claim - that's what your manufacturers warranty is for after all - so just keep on top of the situation and as previously mentioned seek possibly a free extension to the warranty for the trouble and down time. Best of luck getting her back in good working order.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Typically lemon laws require a vehicle to have three failures within a set timeframe before you can make a claim.
Some states also have a "days out of service" built in to their consumer protection laws. In the state of WA it is only 30 days, which my bike fell under (50+ days in the shop). It looks like Oklahoma, where I believe the OP lives, has 45 days out of service within 12 months. That means for any 1 or more failures.

The lemon law isn't to protect against the dealership, its to protect you from the manufacturer from shrugging off time consuming or reoccurring issues after they have taken your money. You've paid for a new vehicle you expect it to work as a new vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I called Yamaha today and they must have put some pressure on the dealer to get things going. I got a call from the dealer an hour or so later.

They checked the air box, didn't find any oil there, so they removed the air box, and found a pinch in the crank case breather line. They are speculating that pressure built up in the crank case and caused it to either burn off there (doesn't seem likely to me) or blow by the rings on the exhaust stroke and out the exhaust valve.

Whatever it is, they're going to give the bike back to me filled with oil and I'm going to keep an eye on the oil level.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
They claimed it likely came this way from the factory.

I know they did a injector sync at my first service, do you have to take off the air box to do that?

21 - 40 of 46 Posts