Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few recent threads comparing different bikes to the FZ. I've only had a handful of streetbikes over the last few years so I may not be the authority here but hardly anything I've ridden compares to the FZ. Every other bike I've ridden, other than a Duc Hypermotard, feels completely different. I've ridden sports bikes and other lightweight, upright bikes, like an FZ6 and Buell Lightening. It's hard to explain but they all feel like they dive into the turns and you need to really hang off of them to control them in the turns. This might be preferred at higher speeds but it's not as fun for me in the mid-speed twisties. The FZ and Hyper both feel similar in that they feel like a supermoto bike - very agile and flickable. I have dirtbike roots so maybe that's why I love how the FZ feels. Does anyone else feel like it's in a class (nearly) of its own when it comes to handling?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, the Fz-09 is definitely in a Class of its own.

When I ride my FZ-09, to me, it is like taking Christina Applegate to PleasureTown.

I can't find it on any google maps but she doesn't care. I think it is near San Diegoooo!!!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have never, in my entire life, ridden an off-road motorcycle. I'm hoping to change that soon. That being said, I think that the magazines trying to compare it to the Street Triple R and the MV Agusta Brutale just based on it being naked and a triple have dropped the ball. That's really all it has in common with them. If anything, I think it's more a poor man's Ducati Hypermotard. It very obviously shares similarities with dirtbike based machines (such as supermotos). It is very much at home in urban settings where the only things you can do to keep yourself entertained on your bike depend heavily on a combination of light, nimble turning and instant throttle response. The other bikes in its "class" so to speak are stripped down supersports/superbikes with ergonomics reworked, and the difference in how it affects their behavior shows.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Compared to my Schwinn, it's definiatly in a class of it's own.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I had a Hot Wheels over 50 years ago when I was just 4 years old. It's was very slow off the line and the brakes sucked. I thought at the time it was hot shit but as I grew older I realized it was mostly just plastic. It was ultimately sold and I stepped up to a Schwinn.:cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From a specs perspective, I can see the new Monster being a fair comparison but I'd be surprised if it has the same handling characteristics. That's kind of my point about the FZ and Hyper being in a class of their own. There are a number of bikes that seem like they might be similar but they're not when you ride them. The FZ and Hyper are truly unique in the way they handle. I'm not saying it's the best overall bike but its handling seems to suit my riding far better than any other bike. I'm an average rider and always had a good amount of chicken strips on my other bikes. But not on the FZ or Hyper - they were gone within the first few rides.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I grew up on dirt bikes and always loved their light front ends and flickability.

My FZ reminds me of a big dirt bike with tons of power that will lift the front wheel with a flick of the wrist.

All the sport bikes I have ridden have a heavy front end.

For me the best comparison would be with my CRF 450.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I prefer to keep both wheels on the ground. That was one feature I loved about a 600cc super sport. Fast as hell, and no wheelies. Really, that is my only check in the negative column for this bike. But the sweet torque output is well worth the trade off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts