Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously had the Stoltec flash and was very happy with it, but I screwed up big time yesterday when I took my bike to the dealer for the headlight recall. I feared if I told them I had my ECU flashed, they might say that voids my warranty. I thought they would only install the headlight extension, but what I didn't realize is every time they get their hands on a bike they routinely check to see if a more up to date flash is available and install it. It seemed to be taking a long time for such a simple recall and only after I asked about the delay, did they say anything about a flash. I then admitted to having a previous flash and told them not to do that. They at first tried to con me and said they didn't install the flash, but as soon as I turned the key on and it powered up in standard mode instead of A mode, I knew they had done so.

The service manager said he could send my ECU back to Stoltec Moto to redo my original flash, but I'm not sure if Nick can legally do flashes anymore. They might have to send it elsewhere, but at least they say they will do whatever it takes to make things right again.

As a side note to this, I can now say Stoltec's flash was definitely smoother than Yamaha's.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I was wondering about that. I've been very happy with Nick's flash and didn't have regrets because I didn't think the Yamaha would be as good. But it's nice to have it confirmed. You can get the Stoltec flash from 2 Wheel Dyno Works. I worry about the shops installing it even though I specifically tell them no. I use teflon wax on my chains and it's hard to keep shops from spraying their sticky crap on my chains because they don't see the lube...

·
Registered
23 Posts
when I sent mine in on the same recal they mentioned there was another recal that involved re flashing the unit because of a glitch that some bikes have been having at 35-45 mph so I said umm no don't touch it its bench flashed and I don't have that problem

·
Registered
446 Posts
Desert Rat;99379 [B said:
As a side note to this, I can now say Stoltec's flash was definitely smoother than Yamaha's.[/B]
That is ALL I need to know. Make sure and highlight in a YELLOW marker, do not reflash on the service ticket. Additionally write on service ticket, if you do, I will be paid $300 to cover the cost of the reflash.

·
Registered
957 Posts
That is absolutely awful. I have the vcyclenut flash and on some level I was worried they did the same when I took mine in for the recall, but fortunately they did not. AFAIK they are only supposed to provide this service upon request.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you dont get this sorted with Nick, im sure he will do whatever he can, PM me. Im on a cruise till next thursday but ill help you out when I get back
The inquisitive part of me hopes that the OP does go to you for the reflash because he will be able to give people a definitive comparison between the Stoltec flash, the vcyclenut flash, and the Yamaha flash. Very few people will ever be able to compare between different flash services.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
N
I previously had the Stoltec flash and was very happy with it, but I screwed up big time yesterday when I took my bike to the dealer for the headlight recall. I feared if I told them I had my ECU flashed, they might say that voids my warranty. I thought they would only install the headlight extension, but what I didn't realize is every time they get their hands on a bike they routinely check to see if a more up to date flash is available and install it. It seemed to be taking a long time for such a simple recall and only after I asked about the delay, did they say anything about a flash. I then admitted to having a previous flash and told them not to do that. They at first tried to con me and said they didn't install the flash, but as soon as I turned the key on and it powered up in standard mode instead of A mode, I knew they had done so.

The service manager said he could send my ECU back to Stoltec Moto to redo my original flash, but I'm not sure if Nick can legally do flashes anymore. They might have to send it elsewhere, but at least they say they will do whatever it takes to make things right again.

As a side note to this, I can now say Stoltec's flash was definitely smoother than Yamaha's.
There should be a LAW preventing anyone from touching your ECU without express Written Consent.:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The inquisitive part of me hopes that the OP does go to you for the reflash because he will be able to give people a definitive comparison between the Stoltec flash, the vcyclenut flash, and the Yamaha flash. Very few people will ever be able to compare between different flash services.
Marthy can -- He's got them All......!!!! :)

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Any work on someone's bike, requires authorization from owner. If you went in for the recall, dealer should've asked I you wanted the flash...dealers cannot simply take the liberty to do as they please. Though, perhaps they were trying to be proactive...
Nonetheless, that's why they're covering your costs - unauthorized work performed. Make sure (that) is written on the work order!!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I was wondering when this would happen to someone......I'm sorry it did, but I knew it was going to sooner or later.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm glad I read this.
I've got the recall notice but haven't had it done yet.
Guess I'll ask before I take it in.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Which dealer?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts