Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
How could I forget? Flashlight preferably a head lamp, one with regular light plus red or green light too so you don't bother other campers or kill your night vision when you turn it off

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took my fz-09 about 6,000 miles from Utah to New York, down to Tennessee and back in 2017 over 17 days.
-While I have done over 700 miles and 14 hours in a day I would would say 500 miles on freeways or 300 miles on slower roads per day is what’s doable for days on end. Either one would have you on the road just about all day. My personal plan for trips is to set up my day for about 8 hours drive time on google maps. As that easily turns into an 11-12 hour day. I plan hours over miles as freeway vs backroads can greatly affect miles per day.
-As far as camping and roughing it, with the miles per day necessary for this trip I’d recommend cheap hotels. Better sleep, and no lost time with set up, take down, much less to pack and haul. Do a separate camping trip with less miles per day.
-the Fz can go 140-150 miles per tank, I typically start looking for gas at 100 miles and stop at the next station. Although if going through remote areas I check google maps and make sure there is a gas station where I need one or plan accordingly. I carry no spare gas on the fz
-remember the 3 “C’s” when packing, cash, credit card, cell phone. The 3 can get you through a lot of pickles. I also carry a basic tool kit, including duct tape, zip ties and a tire repair kit.
-I’ve ridden the pacific coast 5 times and it can be sunny or foggy throughout the year. You can’t predict Mother Nature but if your there for a few days I’m sure you’ll have good weather most of the time and have a blast.
-Don’t let anyone stop you from chasing your dreams but know your limitations, that is a lot of miles to do in 2 weeks. I’d recommend hitting up the black hills in South Dakota and highway 12 in Utah on your way back if you take the trip

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
one more suggestion i would make is if you have access to a pickup or a bike trailer, you can truck or trailer it from toronto to billings montana or sturgis in 2 days instead of 3-4 days, then you have 10 days to ride in the fun parts
i've gone across the country before and if i did it again i'd truck/trailer it to the other side of the great plains

good luck
Utter heresy. You have a bike, ride it.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
The last hotel I stayed at the lady checking me in told me I could park my bike on the side walk under the awning by the front door if I wanted to without being asked, which I thought was nice. Every time I've asked I've never been told no.
Same here. A couple even left their cars out and put our bikes in the garage.

Reactions: Woof

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
How could I forget? Flashlight preferably a head lamp, one with regular light plus red or green light too so you don't bother other campers or kill your night vision when you turn it off
That can be risky here. We've had people shot at and a couple killed by spotlight hunters (retards?) mistaking the light for eyes.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Dating?

[On the Internet no one knows you're a dog]
Well as the long term members here will already know, that around here I'm known as the charming one, but sometimes charm just isn't enough, so my moto is; "while charm may fail, zip ties never do"

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well as the long term members here will already know, that around here I'm known as the charming one, but sometimes charm just isn't enough, so my moto is; "while charm may fail, zip ties never do"
I'm impressed by your determination. And charm, of course!

[On the Internet no one knows you're a dog]

·
Super Moderator
4,584 Posts
Utter heresy. You have a bike, ride it.
Lou, if you've never had the pleasure of riding across the middle of the North American Continent, then you cannot imagine the sheer boredom that awaits. It's painfully flat. You can see the Rocky Mountains from the middle of Kansas where you still have 11 hours of slab-blasting to get to them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The worst road trip is the one where you cover the most miles but create the fewest memories along the way.

We once covered 2300 km in two days, in a comfortable SUV as opposed to a motorcycle, and all we have to show for it is a list of places we drove past. And a few blurry photos.

I'd say cut your most ambitious daily distance goal by at least half, and double the number of rose-smelling stops. It's all about the journey.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Lou, if you've never had the pleasure of riding across the middle of the North American Continent, then you cannot imagine the sheer boredom that awaits. It's painfully flat. You can see the Rocky Mountains from the middle of Kansas where you still have 11 hours of slab-blasting to get to them.
I see what you mean, but having a bike on a trailer seems quite Harlyish to me. Are there no alternate minor routes?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I have to say I'm with Lou, the only reason your bike should be on a trailer is if it's broken. I'd never choose to take a vehicle instead of a bike. It's the thing that makes a long boring drive not boring.

Reactions: LouG

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Yep, I'll do one or the other. I don't mind car trips so much since I got one that can overtake well. We do an awful lot of that, here in the land of Miss Daiseys.

Reactions: ridetofish

·
Registered
1 Posts
Answering your questions: -Now I travel only by bike, and I usually drive for 8 hrs nonstop when I travel by car. -It depends on the area/weather conditions/road type. -Look for flat places. To find a solid place, use your flashlight for these purposes during the nighttime. -Plan your trip depending on the gas stations you will be able to visit and get an extra fuel balloon for emergency cases. -Spring and summer are great, but I would say that every time of year has pros and cons.Make sure you have all the traveling gear you need. Buy a good flashlight, don't buy cheap ones.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts