Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
589 Posts
35 to 55 as I come into the city. I plus 65 by a few on the highway.... even putting around town....okay I'm lying no one puts on these bikes lol but still I stay around low to mid 30s. If I wanted to go 45-50 I probably woulda picked up a vespa or something lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
i normaly get 45-46 ish MPG with my "best" being 61ish driving 2.5 hrs home after getting a root canal done a trip to the dentist over 4+hrs stint in the chair

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
613 Posts
You rode your bike home after surgery? :unsure::sleep::eek:
I'm supposed to have an outpatient shoulder surgery in October and my Dr specifically told me 'you can not ride your motorcycle to the surgery'. I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one.....(y)

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
613 Posts
Here's what I was referring to on the filler neck. The neck protrudes down into the tank a couple inches and has no openings around the sides. What this does is it traps air at the top of the tank to allow for heat expansion. Punching a couple holes in the top sides of the neck lets that air escape so the fuel level can go almost all the way to the top. The top of the tank is huge, an inch of fuel level is somewhere around .3 gallon.
You can achieve the same thing if you are 'very' patient at the pump. As you fill the air will escape through the vent hoses like the factory designed. I'm adding this because it is useful to know if you're on a trip an know the next station is at the limits of your range. It is way too time consuming to do it every time without the holes.
The process is top off, wait a second and you'll see the level drop, then top off again, repeat (many times).

·
Registered
80 Posts
You can achieve the same thing if you are 'very' patient at the pump. As you fill the air will escape through the vent hoses like the factory designed. I'm adding this because it is useful to know if you're on a trip an know the next station is at the limits of your range. It is way too time consuming to do it every time without the holes.
The process is top off, wait a second and you'll see the level drop, then top off again, repeat (many times).
Excellent comments! Everything you said I 100% agree with.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I don't ride the bike like Miss Daisy, it's against my religious beliefs. But when we moved north and I had to drive at the limit so my wife could keep up, it was the first time I'd got more than 35 mpg from my car on a trip. Usually 30.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Also the type of fuel station pump control. I actually discovered a gas station this weekend that had the very slowest dispense rate with the lever depressed. Was easy to completely fill the tank without waiting for the level to drop again. I will probably do the hole mod at some point tho.

·
Registered
576 Posts
By the cluster and doing the rough math @ the pump, I'm usually around 50. Stock flash with a pipe. I think the lowest I've seen after being particularly heavy wristed was about 42 but I was hammering it pretty hard.

·
Registered
370 Posts
re: Punched filler neck - Bear in mind that motorcycle gas tanks are designed to leave air space for expansion. By topping up you do run the risk of overflow in extreme heat conditions.

How to correctly fill your motorcycle tank - Motorbike Writer
Yep.
I fueled up one morning before a group ride.
While I was parked waiting for everyone to finish their breakfast, I noticed the overflow tubes dripping fuel on the ground.

I haven't done this mod myself... so it probably would have been even more dripping had I done it.

Edit:
Also! Today I learned the word "Bowser."

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I've done the fuel filler mod. I've never had overflow. But I usually fill while I'm sitting on the bike and ride straight off when done. (Prepay, not fuel theft)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Yep.
I fueled up one morning before a group ride.
While I was parked waiting for everyone to finish their breakfast, I noticed the overflow tubes dripping fuel on the ground.

I haven't done this mod myself... so it probably would have been even more dripping had I done it.

Edit:
Also! Today I learned the word "Bowser."

View attachment 161514
And wowser. Fun hating, white coated killjoys with faces like a cats arse. They're multiplying rapidly

Reactions: MK3Brent
21 - 38 of 38 Posts