Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the 09s are so so on gas mileage and the small tank doesn't help. Since I've gotten an MT 10, the gas mileage is absolutely horrendous. Last weekend I went for an all day ride with a friend that has a huge Triumph touring bike and rides almost as slow as Harley guys. 3 tanks of gas for me and I got 30+ miles more out of each tank. Never occurred to me that you could increase mileage that much by riding like an old lady and / or Harly rider. Now it all makes sense. Harley guys are really frugal and are trying to help keep from wasting natural resources. Whoda thought.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Harley guys ride slow because the amount of nuts and bolts that rattle and fall off increase exponentially with speed.
I was going to make a joke about how Harleys are like farm implements, but actually farm implements today are far ahead of Harleys in modern technology.

On the subject of gas mileage, there are two things that can make a SIGNIFICANT difference in mileage. The first is to increase tank capacity by punching a couple small holes at the top sides of the filler neck. That mod alone will give you .5 to as much as .7 gallons more fuel at fillups.

The second is tuning. There are big differences between stock, aftermarket and proper aftermarket engine calibrations on these bikes. I'm averaging about 5mpg over stock on my tuning in my MT-09. I've seen some aftermarket tuning drop average mileage about the same amount, a good 5mpg LESS than stock. There is a lot you can gain or lose with tuning. My rides are rarely freeway cruises, I'm waiting for a ride that's not like my usual mountain road thrashing so I can pull a 200 mile tank out of this bike. I have no doubt it will do it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Harley guys ride slow because the amount of nuts and bolts that rattle and fall off increase exponentially with speed.
I was going to make a joke about how Harleys are like farm implements, but actually farm implements today are far ahead of Harleys in modern technology.

On the subject of gas mileage, there are two things that can make a SIGNIFICANT difference in mileage. The first is to increase tank capacity by punching a couple small holes at the top sides of the filler neck. That mod alone will give you .5 to as much as .7 gallons more fuel at fillups.

The second is tuning. There are big differences between stock, aftermarket and proper aftermarket engine calibrations on these bikes. I'm averaging about 5mpg over stock on my tuning in my MT-09. I've seen some aftermarket tuning drop average mileage about the same amount, a good 5mpg LESS than stock. There is a lot you can gain or lose with tuning. My rides are rarely freeway cruises, I'm waiting for a ride that's not like my usual mountain road thrashing so I can pull a 200 mile tank out of this bike. I have no doubt it will do it.
Is that a joke about the poking holes?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
No it's not a joke, it makes perfect sense if you understand the way the tank works. It's also perfectly safe to do if you understand how fire works. lol.

·
Registered
203 Posts
No it's not a joke, it makes perfect sense if you understand the way the tank works. It's also perfectly safe to do if you understand how fire works. lol.
Just checking sometimes peeps insert subtle sarcasm that I'm not sure is there an or not.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
No prob, I totally understand. I'm never sarcastic btw. (Said in a totally sarcastic voice) And subtle sarcasm is the best!

Here's what I was referring to on the filler neck. The neck protrudes down into the tank a couple inches and has no openings around the sides. What this does is it traps air at the top of the tank to allow for heat expansion. Punching a couple holes in the top sides of the neck lets that air escape so the fuel level can go almost all the way to the top. The top of the tank is huge, an inch of fuel level is somewhere around .3 gallon.

I don't have an evap canister on my bike so I know when it's overflowing out the vents. It's pretty rare. As long as you're not filling the tank to the brim and then sitting it in the hot sun for a few hours you shouldn't have any excessive fuel expansion. That added .5 or .7 gallon of gas makes a nice difference in range.

As far as doing the mod without blowing yourself up, this is what I did. IT'S NOT MY FAULT IF YOU BLOW YOURSELF UP. (required disclaimer) I did the mod (on two bikes) with a FULL tank of fuel. I took a big towel and soaked in in water. I wrapped the punch with duct tape, the punch was more than a foot long. I put the punch in place, wrapped the wet towel around it and laid the wet towel across the top of the tank. Using a brass hammer, I gave it one quick tap for each hole. The filler neck is pretty thin, you can punch a hole in it pretty easily.
Hope that helps and clears up the seemingly sarcastic comment. haha.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I guess the 09s are so so on gas mileage and the small tank doesn't help. Since I've gotten an MT 10, the gas mileage is absolutely horrendous. Last weekend I went for an all day ride with a friend that has a huge Triumph touring bike and rides almost as slow as Harley guys. 3 tanks of gas for me and I got 30+ miles more out of each tank. Never occurred to me that you could increase mileage that much by riding like an old lady and / or Harly rider. Now it all makes sense. Harley guys are really frugal and are trying to help keep from wasting natural resources. Whoda thought.
I can confirm about driving like an old lady increases gas mileage in a big way . I managed to get my average fuel consumption from 9.9 L/100km down to 4.6 L/100km this passed couple weeks trying to save the last of my tire before I could get the new ones installed

·
Registered
117 Posts
mine has been reflashed (reprogrammed) and i get around 40-45 miles per gallon, what is considered so-so mileage?

·
Registered
89 Posts
mine has been reflashed (reprogrammed) and i get around 40-45 miles per gallon, what is considered so-so mileage?
What kind of riding do you do? Unless you're doing a whole bunch of WOT or slow stuff, you should be closer to 45 than 40. I'd say 40 is not that great on these bikes from what I've seen. I'm averaging around 50mpg.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
602 Posts
No tune. Those were stock numbers. Best I've ever seen was right around 130 maybe a little more on a tank

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, the gearing on these bikes certainly doesn't put 65+mph in the peak efficiency range, 45-50 is a better spot for mileage. So you mean the stop and go part is like country road stuff where you go 45-55, then come to a stop, then back up to 45-55? That would explain it I guess, I know how I'd be coming away from those stops!

·
Registered
2018 Yamaha MT09, 2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 Ford Focus ST
13 Posts
I average about 40 on my 09 but it’s flashed, my brother gets about 50 on his but it’s bone stock and rides a bit more conservative then I do lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts