Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

I've done about 3500 miles on the bike and so far I'm real happy with it. Since I turned up the suspension to the stiffest setting, the only thing that's lacking is the brakes.

Will just changing to a higher end set of brake pads make any difference, or will I need a different set of calipers as well?

Thanks, Christian

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
^beat me to it.
I would start with stainless brake lines, new fluid, and more aggressive pads. If your still not happy with the stopping performance, look at getting bigger calipers and rotors.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Fren Tubo lines hands down, end of story, FTW. They cost a little more but definitely worth every single penny.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Spiegler from Stoltec < have this kit and it's good stuff.

I've run Galfers in the past on another bike as well.

Stainless braided lines will improve feel and control.

Next step would be pads, however the stockers give decent bite.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Look at those big boys! 2004-6 R1 320mm rotors. Bolt right on + 12mm R6 caliper spacers that I had to machine a bit to fit (were for Brembo caliper)

More brake that you will ever need. I combine that with EBC HH pads and SS line (Stoltec). I also use a 16mm FZ8 master for better control. I ordered a set of EBC Pro pads since I glassed the HH last week on the Dragon and I feel like the HH pads are a bit too aggressive on initial bite for this brake set up.

Then you will find out if your front suspension is still adequate... :)

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Very nice setup Marthy!

Reactions: JohnnyC4

·
Registered
154 Posts
Look at those big boys! 2004-6 R1 320mm rotors. Bolt right on + 12mm R6 caliper spacers that I had to machine a bit to fit (were for Brembo caliper)

More brake that you will ever need. I combine that with EBC HH pads and SS line (Stoltec). I also use a 16mm FZ8 master for better control. I ordered a set of EBC Pro pads since I glassed the HH last week on the Dragon and I feel like the HH pads are a bit too aggressive on initial bite for this brake set up.

Then you will find out if your front suspension is still adequate... :)
Show off!

Reactions: marthy and DNFDOUG

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Marthy, are the spacers just to push the calipers back to allow for the increase in rotor diameter from 300ish to 320?
Do the R1 rotors line up with the calipers (left to right) without spacers?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Stock calipers are very capable. They're the same ones used on the R6 for the past few years.

OEM pads are GG rated. The HH rating equals a higher friction coefficient. I've made this change and am quite pleased.

Some braided lines will improve the feel a fair amount, but if you really want to improve the feel at the lever a master cylinder change is needed. An R1 or R6 master cylinder will work provided you get some slightly longer brake lines since they don't connect with the same orientation.

I happen to have a spare R6 master and one of these days I'll get around to swapping it in there. Nick at Stoltec Moto has done this and seems to think it's the cat's meow. :p

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Marthy, are the spacers just to push the calipers back to allow for the increase in rotor diameter from 300ish to 320?
Do the R1 rotors line up with the calipers (left to right) without spacers?
Same calipers... just space them out 12mm. No need for better caliper IMO. I can bottom out the suspension and go over the bars with 2 fingers lol

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I'm not planning on changing the calipers, what i meant was, do the rotors need spacers between the rotor and the wheel so they line up with the calipers?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm not planning on changing the calipers, what i meant was, do the rotors need spacers between the rotor and the wheel so they line up with the calipers?
Nop. Fit right in. Just need to space the caliper for the bigger rotors. The kit comes with spacers and longer bolts.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Well that's getting filed away.
My vfr 800 has an 05 gsxr 600 front end with ducati 848 front wheel and K1 gsxr 1000 rotors. Spacers all over the place. R1 calipers and 12mm spacers is much easier.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey there!

I've done about 3500 miles on the bike and so far I'm real happy with it. Since I turned up the suspension to the stiffest setting, the only thing that's lacking is the brakes.

Will just changing to a higher end set of brake pads make any difference, or will I need a different set of calipers as well?

Thanks, Christian
You want better brakes? What's wrong with the stockers?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts