Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never shipped anything before. I'm on the west coast, Nick is on the east coast. I don't want shipping to take forever each way, don't want to spend too much. Since it's winter, if it took 5 business days each way, that would be ok. I would prefer as quick as possible though in case we get some decent weather.

Any suggestions? If you had a similar experience, what was your timetable for shipping and cost?

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
659 Posts
USPS Small Priority Flat rate Box!

Cheap ($5.85 each way), easy (Suggest taping the sides of the box), Tracking (free) and the postal service is pretty good with delivery times (About 4-Days).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
USPS Small Priority Flat rate Box!

Cheap ($5.85 each way), easy (Suggest taping the sides of the box), Tracking (free) and the postal service is pretty good with delivery times (About 4-Days).
Thank you for the suggestion. All the way across the country in about 4 days, you think? That's cheap and easy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. All the way across the country in about 4 days, you think? That's cheap and easy.
According to the USPS website, if you were to ship today it would arrive on the other coast on 16-Jan (2-Days)!

I have literally shipped hundred of items using USPS and have had very few problems.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yep, I ship small fr boxes every day...it will be cross country in just a couple days. Use lots of foam and tape all the edges...you should be fine. If you have a box, (from the post office) you can print a label from USPS website and just stick it in your mailbox.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you for your quick responses, I will ship it USPS small priority flat rate. And I will insure it. Yamaha parts fiche says $716.43 for a new ECU.

·
Registered
730 Posts
YEP....Priority usps is the way to go.... I'm waiting for the 115* days of summer to take mine down!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shipped my ECU USPS small box flat rate, yesterday. Words of warning: Nick requested (and I don't blame him) that there be no signature required, as if he's not at his shop, it's a big hassle for him to go pick the package up. Well that posed a problem, as the post office requires anything insured for more than $200 requires a signature. Problem being the ECU replacement value is $716.43. I shipped my package insuring it for just $200, as per Nick's request. I hope this isn't the one time the mail doesn't come through.

Just thought this might be important info for some.

·
Registered
136 Posts
So question about shipping the ECU. Do I just purchase the service from Stoltecs website then ship my ECU to Nick?

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Shipped my ECU USPS small box flat rate, yesterday. Words of warning: Nick requested (and I don't blame him) that there be no signature required, as if he's not at his shop, it's a big hassle for him to go pick the package up. Well that posed a problem, as the post office requires anything insured for more than $200 requires a signature. Problem being the ECU replacement value is $716.43. I shipped my package insuring it for just $200, as per Nick's request. I hope this isn't the one time the mail doesn't come through.

Just thought this might be important info for some.
Thanks for posting this, Dave. I gotta update the site to clear things up a bit. I just had four ECU's in/out today...3 via USPS. You probably own't have an issue, but don't hold me to that. Don't. Trust. Govt.

Alternatively, FedEx is really good on this end with delivery times, insurance, etc. They are also the more convenient for me than UPS for return shipping (outside of the USPS).

So question about shipping the ECU. Do I just purchase the service from Stoltecs website then ship my ECU to Nick?
Indeed: 14+ FZ-09 ECU Reflash | StoltecMoto

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for posting this, Dave. I gotta update the site to clear things up a bit. I just had four ECU's in/out today...3 via USPS. You probably own't have an issue, but don't hold me to that. Don't. Trust. Govt.

Alternatively, FedEx is really good on this end with delivery times, insurance, etc. They are also the more convenient for me than UPS for return shipping (outside of the USPS).

Indeed: 14+ FZ-09 ECU Reflash | StoltecMoto
The US mail system is very reliable, thankfully. I'm not concerned about my ECU, but still would have liked to been able to insure it for full replacement value. Like you, we live "out in the sticks", and I hate having to sign for a package, because then we always end up having to go get them. So I can just imagine the hassle, and loss of income it would be for a business owner such as yourself to have to go fetch packages 3, 4, or 5 times daily. Thanks for posting other good options, I'm sure it will help others make a decision on how to ship.

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
Shipping is a hassle - no two ways around it. That said, it's part of running an internet-based business. You gotta take the good with the bad. 20 years ago, this business model wouldn't have worked...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
So the ECU fits in the small flat rate box? Which measures:
Outside
8 11/16" x 5 7/16" x 1 3/4"
Inside:
8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8"

It seems a bit small to me, then again I haven't seen the ecu yet

Thanks

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
So the ECU fits in the small flat rate box? Which measures:
Outside
8 11/16" x 5 7/16" x 1 3/4"
Inside:
8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8"

It seems a bit small to me, then again I haven't seen the ecu yet

Thanks
It's actually the perfect box

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Nice... Now I just need $100 + shipping. Oh and some bad weather :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
so i am going on leave next friday so i was hoping to ship it out that friday morning because it is my daily rider and my only mode of transport because my wife uses the car for work i was just hoping that i could get it back within a week or like 9 days.... and if that was possible what shipping would i need to pick from your website?
i know you said that it was possible when i emailed via your site about it but i just need to know before i get stranded. thanks

·
Vendor
22 R7 | 21 T7
3,302 Posts
There is no shipping to pick on the site for this product. The shipping is completely in your hands with what shipping method you use and the prepaid label you send. Turn around is very quick this time of year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts