Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually clean the bugs with a dry toothbrush then use soapy water with the brush after.It works ok but takes time and always seems to be alittle bug residue left over! Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Spray some CD599 on a rag and scrub vigorously. :cool:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I go to a car wash and spray them out with a hand held wand power washer.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Wet first and leave bug guts to soften,then use brush and soap
The acid in CD599 will break down most any bug.:violent4:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I use a Brillo pad and/or sand paper. Sometimes I even bead blast them.....

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Patience my friend. It'll come. :eagerness:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a wheel brush thats about 12 inches long with nylon bristles thats supposed to be for cleaning behind wheel spokes on cars and it works perfect for the radiator, the bristles do a pretty good job of removing the bugs from the

·
Registered
142 Posts
I go to a car wash and spray them out with a hand held wand power washer.
Careful! You may end up bending the fins in the radiator. I do the same, but keep the wand at least 3-4 feet away

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Do you have a Rad Guard? It helps to some degree, although the bits that make it through are even MORE difficult to clean out due to the limited access...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Careful! You may end up bending the fins in the radiator. I do the same, but keep the wand at least 3-4 feet away
Yeah I'm a good 2-3' away when I spray the rad.. I don't spray anything vital with the pressure setting, mostly the wheels and fenders/huger.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The easiest way to clean the radiator is to clean it often. So the bugs don't accumulate and dry.

PS-You don't want to pressure wash the hub of the wheels, because you can push the grease out of the bearings.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I used some of the Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner and Polish this morning on bugs on my paint, etc. It works real well. Did not use it on the radiator. In fact, the instructions say you shouldn't use it on anything hot.

Original Bike Spirits Products can be found at some Advanced Auto Parts, but not all. Original Bike Spirits website can tell you where to find their stuff locally.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use Simple Green for a pre-wash to soften up the bugs anywhere on the bike then spray them off with the garden hose. I never use a pressure washer on anything. Pressure washers can damage radiator fins, gaskets, seals etc. Good de-greasers, soft brushes and low pressure are the way to go IMHO. Better living thru chemicals!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts