Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Wow, interesting to hear the hugely different lifetimes of each tire.
In the end I will wear these stock OEM tires out and then move to something different.

I suspect I will be doing 95% road use so might not need the softer stuff.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Let me know what you think of the S22s and road striping slippage. I think they should spray those stripes with an aggregate of some sort. A 3 inch wide stripe can ruin your day I slip every time I cross them here in California.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Let me know what you think of the S22s and road striping slippage. I think they should spray those stripes with an aggregate of some sort. A 3 inch wide stripe can ruin your day I slip every time I cross them here in California. Personally, I think changing your tires once a year should be normal. Traction as we all know is the weakest link on motorcycles. Consider it insurance. Give some sticky-mickeys once year. Fine with me. If you want to save money? Super/Sportbike tires is not where you do it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A very good consideration would also be the Michelin Road 5. They'll offer very good mileage with the dual compounds harder center section which has extremely good water dispersion in the rain and the soft outer edges offer outstanding grip on dry tarmac.
After burning through a couple sets of the Power RS (2800 miles max) the Road 5's are giving the same performance on dry roads and are ten times better in wet conditions. I have 2500 miles on them now and they are just starting to show center wear.

Air pressure is settled on 30/32 after a good bit of trial and error.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got 3200 miles until they developed a flat crown on the Battlax S20s then hit a small screw so the tire is toast. Ordered a S21. Mileage is better and it's a triple compound tire.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
A very good consideration would also be the Michelin Road 5. They'll offer very good mileage with the dual compounds harder center section which has extremely good water dispersion in the rain and the soft outer edges offer outstanding grip on dry tarmac.
After burning through a couple sets of the Power RS (2800 miles max) the Road 5's are giving the same performance on dry roads and are ten times better in wet conditions. I have 2500 miles on them now and they are just starting to show center wear.

Air pressure is settled on 30/32 after a good bit of trial and error.
I think you might have tipped me toward the Road 5's.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If riding hard and fast, id stick with a more sport tire instead of sport touring. Bridgestone S21 or Dunlop Q3+ type tires.
Report from the trenches. I prefer the S20 over the S21. I just put one on (s21) and my bikes ass is all over the place. It does not hold like the S20 for sure. I'm taking the tire off. I just need some suggestions as to what is comparable to the S20 or better. I do tend to lean a bit. I'm not racing but I ride like I am. Comes from my dirtbike heritage. Didn't realize the S20 was only good for 3200 miles, but if that is what it takes to keep the tire glued to the ground, I'm okay with it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts