Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a new MT-09 SP in just over a week's time and told them this morning to let me know how much it would cost to remove the OEM tires immediately and fit Michelin Road 5 tires on it - after reading the squabble on here about the OEM tires.

However, are they the best fit for ME?

Fast road - 30minute to 2 hour blasts.
No track use ever.
Never ride in the wet but might of course get caught out in it.
As yet, fairly new to riding and not gotten close to a 'knee down'.

The OEM tires may well be fine for me BUT I have the money and happy to make the change anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
387 Posts
If riding hard and fast, id stick with a more sport tire instead of sport touring. Bridgestone S21 or Dunlop Q3+ type tires.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
First of all, as a self described newer rider, the OEM tires on the bike are probably just fine for you.

The Road 5s are likely sticky enough for anything you'll be doing with them, but they are actually a sport touring tire designed to excel in the wet.

I'd look more at the sporty tires like Bridgestone S21, Metzeler M7, Dunlop Q3+ if you are only concerned about dry grip. I've ridden all of the above and liked all of them for different reasons.

If your looking at dry grip ONLY, I would go with the Dunlop.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
An interesting question. What mileage do you expect to do?
For high mileage I'd go for Road 5's or Metz Roadtec 01's, low mileage Metz M7's.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks all.

Yeahm, just dry, some 5000 miles a year in mostly short bursts.
I will take a look at those mentioned. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am running Dunlop Q3+ and dry road traction is excellent. Have not ridden them in the rain. I am guessing based on current wear that the rear will not make it much past 7-8K miles.

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
Just go with the Mich Road 5's and call it done. A great tire for all conditions and you won't be looking for more grip. Pricey, but you should get two seasons out of a set.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just go with the Mich Road 5's and call it done. A great tire for all conditions and you won't be looking for more grip. Pricey, but you should get two seasons out of a set.
Yeah, will either be these or the Corsa III.

As it happens, done 850 miles on the OEM rubber now and I have no real problems with them.
Of course, I don't know what the improvement will be without trying the other tyres out on exactly the same bike...

I will stick with them now - spring is here and summer approaches and they were okay in the wet anyway.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I am running Dunlop Q3+ and dry road traction is excellent. Have not ridden them in the rain. I am guessing based on current wear that the rear will not make it much past 7-8K miles.
7-8K out of Q3+? I would be happy to get 3K out of that tire..... I cant get 8K out of any tire let alone a pure sport tire

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Am I the only one who wasn't impressed with the Michelin PR's? I had a set of PR4s that I eeked 8k out of. Been riding Dunlop road smarts ever since. Got about 11k on this rear with more to go.

I can't speak much to performance, but just wasn't thrilled with the lifetime.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm with LouG, Metzeler Roadtec 01's. Perhaps the most underrated tire out there. If it ever warms up here, I'll be starting my third season on them. The rear has 75%, the front has 85% remaining. Not for the track, but otherwise the best tire I've ever used.

·
Super Moderator
4,178 Posts
Am I the only one who wasn't impressed with the Michelin PR's? I had a set of PR4s that I eeked 8k out of. Been riding Dunlop road smarts ever since. Got about 11k on this rear with more to go.

I can't speak much to performance, but just wasn't thrilled with the lifetime.
Honestly, I come from a time where I lived with getting a measly 2500 miles out of a rear tire. I was going through 3 sets a summer. So getting 6000 miles out of a PR4 was a treat. I switched to Metz M7rr but I prefer the profile of the Pilots. Sounds like you have reasonable expectations and the OEM tires will suffice for the time being. Enjoy the ride and keep safe.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
7-8K out of Q3+? I would be happy to get 3K out of that tire..... I cant get 8K out of any tire let alone a pure sport tire
Me too! The one time I tried them, I got about 2700-2800 miles on the rear and less than 5K on the front....but I do like the way they stick, especially dropping the rear down to 25-26 psi cold.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Me too! The one time I tried them, I got about 2700-2800 miles on the rear and less than 5K on the front....but I do like the way they stick, especially dropping the rear down to 25-26 psi cold.
Running Q3's under inflated may make them stick but it also shortens their life. But I do understand the need to do so if on the track.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts