Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'll probably stir up trouble with a general question like this...but, what do you guys think is the best SYNTHETIC oil for your motorcycle? I'm not trying to start a synthetic vs. regular motorcycle oil thread. :) I've always used Mobil 1 with absolutely no issues. I'm sure oil is just oil...but I'm open to suggestions (only synthetic).

·
Registered
616 Posts
+1 Mobil 1. I'm not in a rush to switch over though. When I worked at BMW dealership, they told customers to wait 10k. I'm figuring that I'll wait around 5-6k myself. At another dealership, we did a lot of jetting/exhaust/air filter/ignition advance and dyno runs. The synthetic was good for another 1 hp (bonus)!

·
Registered
616 Posts
+1 Mobil 1. I'm not in a rush to switch over though. When I worked at BMW dealership, they told customers to wait 10k. I'm figuring that I'll wait around 5-6k myself. At another dealership, we did a lot of jetting/exhaust/air filter/ignition advance and dyno runs. The synthetic was good for another 1 hp (bonus)! At the Triumh shop, we always had a couple of ounces left after customer changes. We all took turns changing our personal bikes with that oil. I liked the 4T that they used, and free is my favorite!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I have run the following, Amsoil, Lucas, Motul, and Maxima Syn blend. I now use Mobile 1 because I can drive one mile to the parts store to get it conveniently as well as my K&N filters.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Here's the best article I've ever seen on motorcycle oils:

All About Motor Oil

As you'll see, the Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 (used to be called MX4T) oil is highly recommended. Like others in this thread, I can get it locally ($8.99 a quart), I'd say it's the best bang-for-the-buck synthetic you can get.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I too, have tried most all synthetic oils. Right now, I have Mobil 1 motorcycle 4T in my FZ 09, bought it on sale at Advance Auto for $8.99 / qt..

My next oil change will be back to my favorite, Amsoil Motorcycle 10-40. I have run this oil in the past 5-6 bikes that I have owned, in the super motard / thumpers,
it seemed to "last" the longest before shifting became noticeably different.

·
Registered
337 Posts
i run shell rotella t6. typically $20/gallon, even less if you buy in bulk.
+1 everyone has their favorite but Shell Rotella Synthetic is my choice, over the years I have run it in everything including street, track and dirt bikes - hell it is even in my Yamaha SHO outboard on my bass boat right now! You will get 10 million responses on what to use and what NOT to use, it will all come down to you making the choice - don't let the internet including my own opinion here sway you.

My second choice is Mobil 1 "red" cap 15W when they are out of Rotella, used it for a decade before switching to the Rotella and no issues either.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
The best oil is the one you change often. Lucas high performance semi synthetic is awesome stuff and is pretty cheap considering.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have run the following, Amsoil, Lucas, Motul, and Maxima Syn blend. I now use Mobile 1 because I can drive one mile to the parts store to get it conveniently as well as my K&N filters.
can you install the K&N filter using the socket "nut" on the end of it or is there not enough clearance with the exhaust pipe there.

I went with the factor yammi one because i didnt think there would be enough clearance.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
can you install the K&N filter using the socket "nut" on the end of it or is there not enough clearance with the exhaust pipe there.

I went with the factor yammi one because i didnt think there would be enough clearance.
I will let you know. I am installing the K&N on Sunday when I log 1,000 miles and go to Synthetic. I have used the Yamaha filter for the first two changes.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Motul 7100.

Is it the best? Who knows, but it smells pretty.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
For my first oil change I used a Yamaha filter, but I have a couple of the K&N filters ready to go. The nut on them is 17mm, with a regular depth 17mm socket on a 1/2 inch drive ratchet it seems you can get the socket on the filter but won't have room to turn the ratchet handle.

With a 6 inch extension for the socket you have a straight shot between the pipes, I'll probably use a 17mm box end wrench, not like it will need a lot of high torque turns. I hope...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts