Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum so hello all. I just got the FZ09 in February but just started riding it this past weekend. I was just wondering what the best RPM to shit at for the best MPG for just cruising around. I didnt even try this past weekend to find out because I wanted to explore the bike first and get to know it. I grew up racing motocross so I have a bike background which def helps. I also got in 530miles this past weekend, and I can say I love this bike, I feel right at home with the positioning. Anyways if anyone can help with the RPM/MPG question that would be great!

Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum so hello all. I just got the FZ09 in February but just started riding it this past weekend. I was just wondering what the best RPM to shit at for the best MPG for just cruising around. I didnt even try this past weekend to find out because I wanted to explore the bike first and get to know it. I grew up racing motocross so I have a bike background which def helps. I also got in 530miles this past weekend, and I can say I love this bike, I feel right at home with the positioning. Anyways if anyone can help with the RPM/MPG question that would be great!

Thanks.
I personally don't shit on my bike, I tend to wait to get home for that, but SHIFTING, I usually tend to stick around 5k personally.

·
Registered
518 Posts
shitting doesn't do anything for my MPG, but I shift around 5k ish for MPGs (and to leave myself room to accelerate). I have found that FARTing is good for a good 25 HP...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Usually more pothole size dependent than rpm for me, never noticed any change to mpgs, shifts tho, I'd say around 4k-5k. Biggest factor is how aggressively you get there tho

·
Registered
239 Posts
Best MPG

I think the primary factor for good MPG is slow acceleration. The FZ-09 can operate at 20 mph in 6th gear and pull away slowly. My best gas millage was 61.7. My objective speed was around 45 mph. I tried to maintain around 40 mph on a second attempt and my mpg was 62 on 1 gallon. I quit trying after that. With slow acceleration I've found it easy to get mid 50's mpg with speed of 65 mph or less. All riding was done on rural twisty roads. Good Luck:cool:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
If I had of wanted good gas mileage, I would have purchased a scooter, really.
Good MPG is only needed for the highway, slabbing it to the good twisty stuff. I know you don't have that problem, but here we have to ride a few hours before we get to the good stuff. I once was in the middle of nowhere, bombing through endless sweepers, and we thought we were going to run out of gas because there was literally nothing for about 250km. Luckily we came across a jiffy little gas station with antique pumps. haha...

·
Registered
232 Posts
not worried about mpg this is a play toy for stress relief and fun... Ride it and enjoy it...Ride slow or ride it hard on a bike it still gets better mpg than most cars and is 10 times more fun ... my 2 cents/// Ray

·
Registered
656 Posts
I get better MPG's if I shit before I ride the bike. Lighten the load, and the bike has to work less. 0.023 MPG difference normally, 0.027 after spicy Mexican.... so there you have it, eat spicy food, better MPG.

You heard it first on the internets.

:pottytrain4:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm reading all of this in Sean Connery's voice.

"I may have to shit at 6500 RPMs for this trip"

This is awesome; a real life celebrity on our forums!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts