Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL,

I have a 2018 MT-09 and I am looking for a rear rack and top case (larger one, around 50 L).
I would like to hear your opinions on genuine Yamaha vs. SHAD vs. Hepco & Becker vs. WS-Motech vs. Givi vs. another brand you've used
I would prefer a rear rack that didn't require any cutting/drilling and a top case that was easy to put on/take off for the times I just want to strap a bag on the rear rack.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have the OEM rack with a Kappa Moto 46l top case (MonoKey). You'll need a generic adapter plate with this case but the both are still cheaper than the Givi. Kappa is Givi's bargain brand. You can find them all over eBay.

The second pic shows the generic mounting plate.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have the Yamaha carry rack, plus a generic mounting plate (and a neat cover-plate [top pic below] for when the top-box is not fitted) for an unbranded 26L top-box: most boxes fit in the same way. A good set-up.

·
Registered
776 Posts
didn't require any cutting/drilling
FYI, as far as I've seen, all rear racks will require drilling into the side fairing on the rear. But I believe this was intentional from the factory. If you remove those fairings, you will see they sort of pre marked or molded as if it was intended to be a hole from the factory.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
@OldSchlPunk your Hepco & Becker saddle cases... For someone that has not removed their stock blinkers, would I have to relocate them?
Yes and it's ugly as hell! I bought a set of TST low profile LED lights that tuck right inside the H&B mounts.

Not 100% legal, but damned bright...haven't been stopped about them. Others that ride with me say they work great riding behind me.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Yes and it's ugly as hell!
Yeah, I'm not keen on relocating mine. I like where they are, stock location. I guess this means no saddle bags for me. My only other option would be relocating them to the stock license plate location on the mud guard. I'm not too keen on that either.

Not the best picture, but this is a good representation of what they look like now. Red DRL LEDs and of course amber LED blinkers. I like this set up. Really don't want to move them.

·
Registered
2019 MT-09
92 Posts
Look into the TST integrated tail/signal light. Just ordered their full kit with fender eliminator, integrated brake/signal lights, front led signals on sale for 10% off right now as a kit. I like the look and getting rid of the signal lights allows install of Yamaha soft side bags with the FJ-09 bracket from earlier years. Still deciding on a rear rack

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
163 Posts
Not 100% legal, but damned bright...haven't been stopped about them. Others that ride with me say they work great riding behind me.
I swear WI cops are incredibly lenient on motorcyclists. I had a totally illegal tail tidy on my last bike for three years and was never pulled over once even though it was my daily driver. That's including the time a sheriff pulled up alongside me and blipped his siren when I was going a bit too fast for my own good on the freeway in downtown MKE.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pictures or it didn't happen!!!
Various pictures of my bike.

First picture for GreatHolio of color-matched Yamaha 39l topbox.

Others of SW-Motech ~Center-stand

Scott-Oiler Automatic Chain Oiler

Apex Throttle Lock - This works after a fashion

SatNav holder and Digital Radio (I'm still working on improving the reception for the radio).

Givi Touring screen - I would prefer the Madstad if if was not so expensive., as this screen vibrates a bit.

Fehling Crash Bars and SW-Motech 10W Driving Lights (permanently on via connector on RHS of tank). Lights great for being seen by drowsy early-morning commuters.

The whole lot. Not in the least bit sexy, but a bike on which I would be comfortable covering big miles in all weathers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.