Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually install a USB plug on all my bikes to be able to charge my phone and GPS while riding...but on the FZ9 I couldn't find the perfect spot yet...
Anyone find a simple solution?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought one of these on ebay. connected straight to the battery so I can charge my phone / speakers while parked at a campground without having to turn the ignition / light on. (I think the connector in the air scoop is only on with the ignition? not sure though) I ran the wire out the grommet at bottom of the box under the seat and zip tied it to the frame beside that box, not far from passenger peg on right side. any normal usb cable is long enough to reach the phone on the bars and can also run it into a saddlebag from there easy to charge the camping speakers.

Light Technology Electronic device Wire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
730 Posts
Got a link?

A little detective work shows it has a 5V output. Therefore, it must have a transformer and, therefore, MUST be connected to a switched source, otherwise, it WILL drain the battery...

·
Registered
25 Posts
hmm you could be right, I was wondering about that, my bike sat for at least 2 weeks once in the spring (hey I'm in canada!) and the battery was dead, which I thought was odd because I didn't think any power would flow with nothing plugged into it so I wondered if it was something else. Its been fine ever since but the bike hasn't sat idle for a full week all summer, so I don't know how long it would take, but it has been fine sitting there for 4-5 days anyway. But if there is a tiny constant drain maybe I'll pull the fuse out of it and only use it on road trips, cause that can't be too good for the battery I bet, long term.

Got a link?

A little detective work shows it has a 5V output. Therefore, it must have a transformer and, therefore, MUST be connected to a switched source, otherwise, it WILL drain the battery...

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I plugged mine to the 2AMP aux. circuit and left the plug under the seat tyerap to the tank brace (in front of the battery). I use it for the GPS or charge my phone... I let the cord go between the seat/tank (usually put a strip of duct tape on the tank to protect the paint)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got a link?

I have two cheap USB charging ports on my Vstrom, one has a power indication light and the other does not.

When tested with my Amp meter both show 0.00 draw.

A better quality port may have some power consumption because of the switch gear used but it should still be negligible.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Tapp spec sheet says 35mA quiescent draw..... they don't have a xformer. They DO use a V reg IC which allows for the fairly low unloaded current.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts