Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use a 12mm PEWAG square link chain with a Stanley S828-160 lock that has a custom made $200 cylinder. Bolt cutters can't get enough leverage because the chain links block the bolt cutters from getting in. The only way to get through the chain is with a wall powered angle grinder and about 2 minutes of work. most battery powered grinders won't cut through it. You can't order the chain from Amazon or anything. it's meant for tractor tires. Hardness of 63. if you want to order the chain google Delta Rigging. I got this setup from a lock smith who tests the stuff. The chain is around $20 / ft.

I use a disc lock on the front tire and I have a monimoto GPS tracker, that is battery powered, not tied into the bikes battery. I have it hidden in the bike

·
Registered
Batmobile
1,135 Posts
Hey guys, what are your thoughts on this: Motorcycle tracker | Vigo Smart Track ?
This thing seems like a new thing, and I'm really thinking of buying one...
I have one of their smart brake systems installed on my bike, really helps let people know you're engine braking. The guys I ride with hate it though, because it strobes everytime I let off the throttle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Looking at a disc lock currently just to help keep an honost person honost..I dont leave sitting around places too long other than home and work so.

but how do I know the Pin of the lock will fit throught our brake discs?? the one Im looking is 7mm dia but not sure what the holes actually are....Or this all not a concern and will fit?? is this something I need to be concerned about??

thank you

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
164 Posts
Found a great deal on an Abus 8077 disc lock with chain. I paid $222.25 plus $35 for two day shipping (from Italy!), making a grand total of $257.17. Almost all other prices I could find for the combo or by buying the lock and chain separately were $315+ in total. There was one vendor in Spain that would ship the combo for ~$285.

Two notes:
[1] According to DataWeb (usitc.gov) there shouldn't be any duty/tariff fees for motorcycle parts (unless importing from Cuba or North Korea...).
[2] If a return is needed it's going to be expensive.

Abus Granit Detecto 8077 12ks Black Loop 8077-12KS120 Security | MotoStorm

/edit - Prices are in USD and it's being shipped to Wisconsin, USA.

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
164 Posts
but how do I know the Pin of the lock will fit throught our brake discs?? the one Im looking is 7mm dia but not sure what the holes actually are....Or this all not a concern and will fit?? is this something I need to be concerned about??
For the front discs you don't put the pin through a hole, you put it on the inside of the disc. However, the rear disc doesn't have any empty space between it and the wheel hub so you'll have to use a hole there. On my '21 MT-09 the holes in the discs (both front and back) are ~6.8mm in diameter.

I also bought an Abus Detecto 7000 RS1 sonic red (abus.com) with a 6.5mm pin to use on my back brake disc. From what I understand the rear disc is the best place to have a lock if you have a choice. The problem is the "more secure" disc locks with larger pins (harder to cut through) only fit on the front, so I figured "why not do both?"!

/edit (5/10): The Abus Detecto 7000 does not fit. The pin is square, not round. I'm not sure what I'll order instead. I wanted an Abus lock with xplus cylinder, but they don't have anything with that core and a 6.5mm or smaller pin.

·
Registered
'21 Yamaha MT-09
164 Posts
I ordered the Scorpio Maverick security system this weekend. Will report back once I have it installed. My hope is it will provide peace of mind knowing I'll get an alert on my phone if anyone gets too close, bumps, or stands up the bike.

I plan set up a second phone at home using WiFi only and use automation software to forward alerts to my actual phone. That way if I leave the bike at home I can still get alerts if I'm more than a mile away.

I thought about a GPS option, but the annual subscription to keep the device working was more than I wanted to commit to. I figure if a thief is good enough to to steal the bike with a security system, two disc brakes (one also alarmed), and a chain lock at home they are going to know how to defeat GPS tracking anyways.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had two motorcycles stolen in my lifetime and I take precautions to ensure that won't happen again. After a lot of research, the following two products are what I came up with. When I don't have my bike in a rented storage unit, I keep it locked up to a solid, steel tow hook in the bumper of my car. I'm using an 11mm square-link manganese-steel cinch chain which came with a short U-lock which doubles as a disk lock. It turns out that most budget-priced disk locks are made of zinc, not steel, and they can easily be broken with just a wedge or a screwdriver and hammer. People should always use a magnet to ensure than any lock they use is STEEL.

I also use a ridiculously cheap wireless remote alarm that gets great reviews and it works really well - touch the bike or chain and people are going to hear it. No wiring involved and the keyfob remote is very convenient.

INTEKIN 4FT Motorcycle Cinch Chain & Lock ($64.99)

Wsdcam 113dB Motorcycle Alarm with Remote ($16.99)

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is the first bike I have owned where I am taking additional precautions over and above the steering lock. I do not have to leave bike outside over night nor in a parking garage. I do not believe that I could adequately deter a motivated thief in those circumstances. For the time being and in concert with the steering lock, I am using a thottle/front brake lock and also a disk brake lock w/ audible alarm. My efforts are to hopefully demotivate the would-be thief. It seems to me that my challenge will be to use these additional deterrents to the point they become second nature and it does not seem as much a task.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to live in Weehawken NJ across from midtown manhattan. 5 minutes away were a bunch of shops that I suspect were chop shops. I suggested to my neighbor to lock his new Ducati Hypermotard and he said "Nah its ok, they wont steal it" about a week passed until it was stolen.

I had a custom Roadstar Warrior all chromed out. I parked that bike a long walk from my house in a spot safe from getting hit by cars and next to a utility pole's ground wire. I used the kryptonite chain and 2 different bike locks to get the correct length. I put a cover on the bike and an alarm. I feel that is the ultimate security system and my bike never was stolen. I still have all that stuff and use it quite often when traveling, to secure mountain bikes, 12v coolers, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I commute to work in NYC, which is unfortunately the motorcycle theft capital of America 🤬. My last bike was stolen right out of my driveway (I'm a dummy who didn't put it away in the garage). Anyway, my big concern is parking on the street while at work. I work in a very busy area of downtown Brooklyn so my main concern is just making it difficult to roll away. I don't have any real ability to attach it to anything solid.

My plan is to use the OnGuard Pitbull mini and lock it around the rear wheel spokes. The Pitbull mini has a diamond rating from Sold Secure (security lock rating service). I have a cheap disc lock at the moment for the front disc, but plan to upgrade to the Kryptonite Evolution Compact Disc Lock which seems to be incredibly difficult to defeat.

I'm also adding tracking. A Monimoto 7 GPS tracker which is supposed to notify me if the bike is moved at all and let me find where it goes. I'm also adding a second layer of tracking with an Apple AirTag. There are anti-stalking measures which make it warn anyone with an iPhone that it is there. It also starts beeping. Obviously, this would allow the thief to quickly remove it. My plan is to disable the beeping speaker and then hide it somewhere really difficult to find. This way when their iPhone notifies them they are being tracked, but they can't find the AirTag they might ditch the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I commute to work in NYC, which is unfortunately the motorcycle theft capital of America 🤬. My last bike was stolen right out of my driveway (I'm a dummy who didn't put it away in the garage). Anyway, my big concern is parking on the street while at work. I work in a very busy area of downtown Brooklyn so my main concern is just making it difficult to roll away. I don't have any real ability to attach it to anything solid.

My plan is to use the OnGuard Pitbull mini and lock it around the rear wheel spokes. The Pitbull mini has a diamond rating from Sold Secure (security lock rating service). I have a cheap disc lock at the moment for the front disc, but plan to upgrade to the Kryptonite Evolution Compact Disc Lock which seems to be incredibly difficult to defeat.

I'm also adding tracking. A Monimoto 7 GPS tracker which is supposed to notify me if the bike is moved at all and let me find where it goes. I'm also adding a second layer of tracking with an Apple AirTag. There are anti-stalking measures which make it warn anyone with an iPhone that it is there. It also starts beeping. Obviously, this would allow the thief to quickly remove it. My plan is to disable the beeping speaker and then hide it somewhere really difficult to find. This way when their iPhone notifies them they are being tracked, but they can't find the AirTag they might ditch the bike.
I've parked my bike in a lot of places in NYC without a lock. I figure if they were going to steal it, they would roll up in a van and carry it inside. Are you carrying comprehensive on your insurance? It was cheap on my bike to have a $500 deductible and it gives me ultimate peace of mind. If it were gone, I'd probably go back to my youth and buy another Ducati SBK like 1198s

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've parked my bike in a lot of places in NYC without a lock. I figure if they were going to steal it, they would roll up in a van and carry it inside. Are you carrying comprehensive on your insurance? It was cheap on my bike to have a $500 deductible and it gives me ultimate peace of mind. If it were gone, I'd probably go back to my youth and buy another Ducati SBK like 1198s
I parked my Aprilia Tuono and my DRZ400SM on the street by work for years with nothing more than a disc lock and never had a problem. But losing my DRZ from my driveway spooked me. I had full coverage, but my insurance rates skyrocketed. I've never had a brand-new bike before and just want to protect my baby.

Just got the onguard pitbull I mentioned in the mail. Waaaay too heavy. Sending that one right back.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts