Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
A line lock wouldn't deter any thief. Very few bikes are stolen and ridden away from where they were parked. Most bike thefts are done with two guys and a van. They pick the bike up off the ground and thrown it in the van and are gone in 20 seconds.

This is exactly what happened to my R6--4:00 in the morning; alarm set, disc lock on, cover on and locked. They picked it up, tossed it into a truck and drove off with the alarm blasting away. My neighbor saw them driving off-less than thirty seconds. It is now double chained with Kryptonite chains and locks, new Scorpio SR-i900 with perimeter sensor and new all black DOWCO cover also locked on. If they really want it, they're going to get it, but hopefully this will deter it somewhat. As a side note, last week the remote for the alarm woke me up at 1:30a-ran out to see a Dodge Ram driving off with their lights off and the back half of my cover pulled up-probably trying to see how the chains were attached. If not for the alarm and chains they may have gotten another. Love the Scorpio alarm, well worth the cost. Damn I hate thieves...

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Hi all, my name is Chris with Scorpio Alarms here in Arizona. I just wanted to let you all know that we are currently offering free 2-day shipping on any order of our 2 best selling systems, the SR-i900 and the new GPS Security system, the Ride.

Shop | Scorpio

We are also here as a cry for help. As mentioned on this thread previously, we do not have a factory connector kit for the FZ-09, and we want to change that. Would anyone with a Scorpio Alarm be interested in assisting us in making a custom connector for the FZ-09? What we need are Detailed photos of the connectors that the turn signals and tail light wires plug in to, clearly showing wire positions, and colors of the wires. We would obviously return the favor by sending you out the connector to verify for us.

If anyone with an FZ-09 and a Scorpio alarm (like the SR-i800 or SR-i900) would like to help us out, not only would we greatly appreciate it, you would be responsible for making our alarms even more accessible for those lucky enough to own an FZ-09.

If you're interested, PM me.

Thanks!

-Team Scorpio
I am just waiting to see if Scorpio is going to come out with a connector kit for the FZ-09. As soon as you do, I will be buying a Scorpio system. I prefer having the connector kit, as I have known to many people who have had issues with their security system when they are cutting wires to have them installed. At first the systems work ok, but over time they end up having connection issues.

p.s. - I keep checking the website to see if the connector kit has been added.

Scorpio Secure | Scorpio

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I am just waiting to see if Scorpio is going to come out with a connector kit for the FZ-09. As soon as you do, I will be buying a Scorpio system. I prefer having the connector kit, as I have known to many people who have had issues with their security system when they are cutting wires to have them installed. At first the systems work ok, but over time they end up having connection issues.

p.s. - I keep checking the website to see if the connector kit has been added.

There's actually no cutting involved with the install-just tapping into a couple of wires, but I agree with you and see your point. If there would have been a factory plug n play harness available when I installed mine, I would most definately have gone with that. Maybe it would be worth your time to send Chris a couple of pics of the plugs/wire colors and get yourself a comped factory harness kit, but even without, the install is super easy and I had one of their SR-i500's on my R6 for 10 years with no connection issues whatsoever. The i900 is a great alarm, in my opinion-well worth the money...

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Hi all, my name is Chris with Scorpio Alarms here in Arizona. I just wanted to let you all know that we are currently offering free 2-day shipping on any order of our 2 best selling systems, the SR-i900 and the new GPS Security system, the Ride.

Shop | Scorpio

We are also here as a cry for help. As mentioned on this thread previously, we do not have a factory connector kit for the FZ-09, and we want to change that. Would anyone with a Scorpio Alarm be interested in assisting us in making a custom connector for the FZ-09? What we need are Detailed photos of the connectors that the turn signals and tail light wires plug in to, clearly showing wire positions, and colors of the wires. We would obviously return the favor by sending you out the connector to verify for us.

If anyone with an FZ-09 and a Scorpio alarm (like the SR-i800 or SR-i900) would like to help us out, not only would we greatly appreciate it, you would be responsible for making our alarms even more accessible for those lucky enough to own an FZ-09.

If you're interested, PM me.

Thanks!

-Team Scorpio
Hmmm, was there any takers????? With only one post from ScorpioOfficial, it's not looking so good.

I'd prefer a plug and play connection kit, just in case I decide to move the alarm to another bike. (not intending to sell 09, just prefer the idea of a specific 09 connection kit)

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Both bikes are usually locked in the garage with the power turned off to the garage door opener. If anyone comes anywhere near the house, both my dogs go nuts.

It's the parked at work, or parked when I am out that I am thinking of an alarm. Well that and plus the fact my insurance gives a big rebate if I have an alarm installed on the bike.

I like the Scorpio alarms, and have looked at the Scorpio Ride alarm, but then you need a smart phone data plan. The phone idea is ok until I head off into the mountains where there is crappy cell phone coverage. So I might need to opt to a more standard alarm without all the smart phone crap since it won't work where I like to go riding. :(

·
Registered
475 Posts
They reckon a simple motorcycle cover is a great theft deterrent as you don't know what's under it.. Low cost, too :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
There are times when I gotta leave my bike for just maybe about half hour to an hour. If that's the case I just use my bully lock. Comes with a two way pager so if the bike is tampered with I get alerts while I'm in the store

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
A comment on disc locks.. If you're like me, sooner or later you'll forget that you've got a lock on there and pop the bike into gear and rev it up and dump the clutch to impress someone with how cool you are, and end up looking like an idiot instead, with some likely damage.
So when I use a disc lock, I butt the front tire up to a curb or wall or something that will keep me from being so stupid. That way I have to back the bike up first and it usually doesn't take me more than a few minutes to figure out what's keeping it from rolling.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A comment on disc locks.. If you're like me, sooner or later you'll forget that you've got a lock on there and pop the bike into gear and rev it up and dump the clutch to impress someone with how cool you are, and end up looking like an idiot instead, with some likely damage.
So when I use a disc lock, I butt the front tire up to a curb or wall or something that will keep me from being so stupid. That way I have to back the bike up first and it usually doesn't take me more than a few minutes to figure out what's keeping it from rolling.
My lock came with a bright colored cord that I hook onto my grips lol so that I never forget to unlock my disc lock

·
Registered
318 Posts
There are times when I gotta leave my bike for just maybe about half hour to an hour. If that's the case I just use my bully lock. Comes with a two way pager so if the bike is tampered with I get alerts while I'm in the store

i got the same thing, but i need more to secure my bike, end up bought the scorpio ride core system

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an alarm system that can arm/disarm with the indicator flash. You could start or stop the engine with the help of a remote that you get along with the alarm system. It is much safer and also has a vehicle locator and an adjustable shock sensor but the only problem is that you have to be careful of false alarms. Here is a blog from think protection that mentions some tips to prevent false alarm https://www.thinkprotection.com/blog/alarm-system/4-tips-to-help-prevent-false-alarms/

·
Registered
40 Posts
I used to worry about this a lot when I was new to riding. Had alarms, chains, etc on my first bikes. I have been lucky and never had a bike stolen (knock on wood) but at this point I realize that if someone really wants to steal your bike they will and the best form of security is good insurance. It's far too easy to steal a bike. Use common sense about parking in highly populated areas, good lighting, a security camera if possible. The objective is to make your bike a little less easy to steal than the one down the street.

That being said, at home I have a secured garage and I keep the bike chained (Kryptonite chain) to a concrete anchor. When outside the home I do not use anything except keeping the handlebars locked.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Pretty amazing. I spend time on the MT-10 forum. Owners in the U.K. bury big steel anchor rings in cement in their garage floor. They secure their bike with a monster chain, lock their steering head and use disc locks. The thieves break into their garage, use a disc grinder to cut the chain and the rotor and break the steering head lock and manage to take the bike. What an existence.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Had a week old 2013 zx6r stolen with a Xena disk brake alarm on it. 3 men in an astro van took it mostly on camera in less than 1 min. The van reversed up to my bike and the men jumped out the back door, picked up the bike and drove off. They had a piece of cloth draped over the license plate. Bike was never found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Pretty amazing. I spend time on the MT-10 forum. Owners in the U.K. bury big steel anchor rings in cement in their garage floor. They secure their bike with a monster chain, lock their steering head and use disc locks. The thieves break into their garage, use a disc grinder to cut the chain and the rotor and break the steering head lock and manage to take the bike. What an existence.
This is just one way I try to slow them down.

The real fear was a few years ago when a rider would be sitting in traffic and two guys would step out of a car with helmets on. One guy held the gun while the rider got off the bike and the other guy climbed on then rode away. The bike would get ridden straight to a waiting shipping container full of stolen stuff headed for South America.
No one ever got hurt and I haven't heard of this happening recently but quite a few bikes went South this way.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 66 Posts