Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Findmespot.com the trace. Works under seat and tracks google maps. You can even store adventure travel details for yourself.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Findmespot.com the trace. Works under seat and tracks google maps. You can even store adventure travel details for yourself.
+1...I use it but as a security for when someone does steal the bike. Have concealed it away to make it's removal very difficult (need to open up the bike a bit).
Otherwise, chained to a railing fence + xena disc loack alarm + gorilla 2-way pager alarm (now disabled because I lost the remote). In the city, no fence to chain it to.

Apparetly Bully's U-lock with alarm + 2-way pager seems very enticing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
+1...I use it but as a security for when someone does steal the bike. Have concealed it away to make it's removal very difficult (need to open up the bike a bit).
Otherwise, chained to a railing fence + xena disc loack alarm + gorilla 2-way pager alarm (now disabled because I lost the remote). In the city, no fence to chain it to.

Apparetly Bully's U-lock with alarm + 2-way pager seems very enticing.
I actually bought the bully alarm. Comes with a 2-way pager that I can disarm when it goes off. Simple and it works. No wires except for the safety bungee cord to the handle

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I actually bought the bully alarm. Comes with a 2-way pager that I can disarm when it goes off. Simple and it works. No wires except for the safety bungee cord to the handle
Nice. So, how do you carry it with you? That's my biggest concern with it- it's too big to fit under the seat for sure.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
To piggy back of motorock, how far away can you be for the pager to work. I park in a parking garage about three blocks from where I work....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice. So, how do you carry it with you? That's my biggest concern with it- it's too big to fit under the seat for sure.
I know it's kinda big like the bicycle u lock. But I only bring it with me when I'm going to the gym. Or I know I'll be away from my baby for more than an hour and it's out of site. 8 have not yet tested the distance but it usually does the trick when I'm inside my home or at the gym. I'm not sure about the 3 blocks maybe u need to get a gorilla alarm?!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
What about motorcycle alarms? Has anyone found a good alarm that just plugs into the wiring harness? I know Scorpio sells connector kits, but they don't have one for the 09 as of yet. ( I emailed them and asked, and no such luck so far. )

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
What about motorcycle alarms? Has anyone found a good alarm that just plugs into the wiring harness? I know Scorpio sells connector kits, but they don't have one for the 09 as of yet. ( I emailed them and asked, and no such luck so far. )
I've got the Scorpio i900 on mine and love it. True they don't yet offer a complete plug in harness, but you only need to tap into a couple of wires(signals) and the whole install took less than 20 minutes. The 2 way pager has RFID if you choose to use it, meaning the fob never needs to leave your pocket for arm/disarm. In a straight line with no concrete to obstruct the signal, it'll alert me up to about 1/2 mile, although concrete/steel parking garages limit the range a bit. Pricey, but well worth it IMO...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've got the Scorpio i900 on mine and love it. True they don't yet offer a complete plug in harness, but you only need to tap into a couple of wires(signals) and the whole install took less than 20 minutes. The 2 way pager has RFID if you choose to use it, meaning the fob never needs to leave your pocket for arm/disarm. In a straight line with no concrete to obstruct the signal, it'll alert me up to about 1/2 mile, although concrete/steel parking garages limit the range a bit. Pricey, but well worth it IMO...
I've heard good things about a Scorpio like the microwave sensor really seals the deal for me. But I don't usually leave my bikes in a public place for more than an hour tops

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am a bit wary about wiring in anything to the battery and ignition of the bike and therefore skipped the Scorpio. Got the Gorilla 2-way pager- which worked for 1/2 mile if there wasn't much in between- in New York, that's almost impossible. And after I lost the pager, I just use the simple alarm (not hooked to any other wires) when I chain it at home. The SPOT Trace is perfect for knowing when the bike starts moving- has a motion sensor- and I get alerts on text and email immediately. I can trace it every five minutes, even from areas which have poor gsm signals as it relies on a bunch of satellites. Even between the tall buildings of Manhattan, SPOT works great.

The Bully lock is very enticing mainly as it does not have to be hooked up to the battery and acts as a visual deterrent.

Another product- MasterLock (for those cuffs-style locks) will pay you $3,500 under its Anti-Theft Guarantee if someone steals your bike while they were on the bike!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Yeah, love the microwave perimeter sensor-it's adjustable for distance and I've got mine set so that if anyone gets within the 2 foot perimeter, it'll trigger the alarm-it'll chirp a couple of warnings if someone gets close, then it'll trigger the 120db siren. Not totally theft proof, of course, but thats where the Kryptonite chains and locks come into play(at least when parked at home).

·
Registered
323 Posts
You are right for the visual part that's why I went with a bully lock. I wanted to stay away from wires as much as possible lol. The fact that it had a two way would notify me right away if I was at the gym or school.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a bike stolen from the parking lot at my work back at the beginning of this year. My solution...
1. Install Alarm on two other bikes
2. Purchase a Rotor lock, with integrated alarm, I put this on any bike when I park it outside of my own stable
3. Installed video surveillance on my property
4. Worked with Facilities at my work to create new designated motorcycle parking near main entrance within plain site of security desk
5. Informed all other riders at my company and encouraged them to install some form of anti-theft device.
6. Buy FZ-09 with insurance check, Sell all other bikes
7. Get tired of running people off my property with a shotgun (amazing what you can catch when watching the monitors at night) and the neighbors calling the cops
8. Got a job in another state, where my CWP is valid, getting as far away from the communists as possible
(Now my I feel protected)

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I am thinking of an alarm for two reason:

1). ignition disable, since the 09 does not have a security key fob.
2). insurance cost break.

Still use it with a disk lock so you still have a visual deterrent.

99.9% of the time it is parks somewhere I don't really need to worry about it. Like at home in the garage, but for those few times you do need to step away from it for a bit, it wouldn't hurt to have a little more security.

Plus we can't carry hand guns up here, they tend to send you to jail if you tried, lol.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a thought about a locking system. I don't know if anyone makes it. What if someone made a keyed line lock system for the brakes system. Basic operation would be like a line lock for a drag car. It holds the brakes applied. It would need to be added at the brake caliper(s)and have a tamper proof means of locking the brake pressure in the applied position. Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A steep drive, a locked 7ft gate, another steep drive, a double locked shed with another double locked roller door. Steel mesh on the window. 8ft fences...

...and these two. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, my name is Chris with Scorpio Alarms here in Arizona. I just wanted to let you all know that we are currently offering free 2-day shipping on any order of our 2 best selling systems, the SR-i900 and the new GPS Security system, the Ride.

Shop | Scorpio

We are also here as a cry for help. As mentioned on this thread previously, we do not have a factory connector kit for the FZ-09, and we want to change that. Would anyone with a Scorpio Alarm be interested in assisting us in making a custom connector for the FZ-09? What we need are Detailed photos of the connectors that the turn signals and tail light wires plug in to, clearly showing wire positions, and colors of the wires. We would obviously return the favor by sending you out the connector to verify for us.

If anyone with an FZ-09 and a Scorpio alarm (like the SR-i800 or SR-i900) would like to help us out, not only would we greatly appreciate it, you would be responsible for making our alarms even more accessible for those lucky enough to own an FZ-09.

If you're interested, PM me.

Thanks!

-Team Scorpio

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I had a thought about a locking system. I don't know if anyone makes it. What if someone made a keyed line lock system for the brakes system. Basic operation would be like a line lock for a drag car. It holds the brakes applied. It would need to be added at the brake caliper(s)and have a tamper proof means of locking the brake pressure in the applied position. Just thinking out loud.
A line lock wouldn't deter any thief. Very few bikes are stolen and ridden away from where they were parked. Most bike thefts are done with two guys and a van. They pick the bike up off the ground and thrown it in the van and are gone in 20 seconds.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts