Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,539 Posts
What about motorcycle alarms? Has anyone found a good alarm that just plugs into the wiring harness? I know Scorpio sells connector kits, but they don't have one for the 09 as of yet. ( I emailed them and asked, and no such luck so far. )
I've got the Scorpio i900 on mine and love it. True they don't yet offer a complete plug in harness, but you only need to tap into a couple of wires(signals) and the whole install took less than 20 minutes. The 2 way pager has RFID if you choose to use it, meaning the fob never needs to leave your pocket for arm/disarm. In a straight line with no concrete to obstruct the signal, it'll alert me up to about 1/2 mile, although concrete/steel parking garages limit the range a bit. Pricey, but well worth it IMO...

· Registered
1,539 Posts
Yeah, love the microwave perimeter sensor-it's adjustable for distance and I've got mine set so that if anyone gets within the 2 foot perimeter, it'll trigger the alarm-it'll chirp a couple of warnings if someone gets close, then it'll trigger the 120db siren. Not totally theft proof, of course, but thats where the Kryptonite chains and locks come into play(at least when parked at home).

· Registered
1,539 Posts
A line lock wouldn't deter any thief. Very few bikes are stolen and ridden away from where they were parked. Most bike thefts are done with two guys and a van. They pick the bike up off the ground and thrown it in the van and are gone in 20 seconds.

This is exactly what happened to my R6--4:00 in the morning; alarm set, disc lock on, cover on and locked. They picked it up, tossed it into a truck and drove off with the alarm blasting away. My neighbor saw them driving off-less than thirty seconds. It is now double chained with Kryptonite chains and locks, new Scorpio SR-i900 with perimeter sensor and new all black DOWCO cover also locked on. If they really want it, they're going to get it, but hopefully this will deter it somewhat. As a side note, last week the remote for the alarm woke me up at 1:30a-ran out to see a Dodge Ram driving off with their lights off and the back half of my cover pulled up-probably trying to see how the chains were attached. If not for the alarm and chains they may have gotten another. Love the Scorpio alarm, well worth the cost. Damn I hate thieves...

· Registered
1,539 Posts
I am just waiting to see if Scorpio is going to come out with a connector kit for the FZ-09. As soon as you do, I will be buying a Scorpio system. I prefer having the connector kit, as I have known to many people who have had issues with their security system when they are cutting wires to have them installed. At first the systems work ok, but over time they end up having connection issues.

p.s. - I keep checking the website to see if the connector kit has been added.

There's actually no cutting involved with the install-just tapping into a couple of wires, but I agree with you and see your point. If there would have been a factory plug n play harness available when I installed mine, I would most definately have gone with that. Maybe it would be worth your time to send Chris a couple of pics of the plugs/wire colors and get yourself a comped factory harness kit, but even without, the install is super easy and I had one of their SR-i500's on my R6 for 10 years with no connection issues whatsoever. The i900 is a great alarm, in my opinion-well worth the money...

1 - 4 of 5 Posts