Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is dedicated to the best of the best ways to defend your two wheeled machine from falling into the hands of the baddies. Chime in to share what products you have found to work, which are garbage, etc, etc.

Who is using a Kryptonite Chain?

Who is using a Rotor Lock?

Who is sleeping on top of their bike with a gun?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My bike has a sticker on it claiming that it is equipped with a GPS tracking system. The bike doesn't have any such device. The bikes previous owner put the sticker on there. I decided to leave it on there. Figured it might actually deter someone from stealing it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
reviving this thread, but I'm looking at the Kryptonite systems.
portable security or in-place security? for in-place security you'd want a 16mm or thicker chain which kryptonite doesn't make, ideally run through the frame of the bike and into a ground anchor. these thick chains are really heavy so aren't really portable unless you don't mind lugging around 20+ pounds of steel.

chains here:

Chain Locks: Lockitt.com

for portable security, ideally you'd want to lock the bike to something. it looks like we might be able to get the shackle of a large u-lock through parts of the 09's frame, if that's the case the 09 could be locked to a bike rack or other slim metal post using a u-lock. in which case, the kryptonite new york lock mc or better yet the kryptonite m18 (18mm shackle version of the ny lock, but it's not sold in the states) are among the toughest u-locks you can get.

in addition to the u-lock, get an alarmed xena disc lock, ideally clipped onto the rear rotor. they've got different models with different locking pin diameters with the smallest one being 6mm - check to see if the holes in the rear rotor are at least that big.

i'd verify all of this for myself but my bike hasn't come in yet.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
portable. i park at home in my garage.
if you can run a u-lock so that the shackle goes around the blue circled area and one of the red circled areas and around a metal post, it would be pretty secure. it's just a matter of there being enough clearance around those frame areas to wiggle a u-lock through. the kryptonite new york u-locks have an inner width of 4". shackle diameter is 16mm, except on the m18 which is 18mm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thickest harden hexagon chain and use multi-able chain and locks. You can only slow down the process and if they really want you bike it's going to get stolen. Die grinder can pretty much cut trough anything.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Somebody posted this thread on a previous forum.... Great information straight from a previous bike thief. The tried and true answer is a heavy chain if you must keep your bike outside overnight.
I am eager to hear all advice on this subject.

@nickj........ I'd sleep on my bike if it were possible! haha.

EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA : motorcycles
That is some compelling stuff!

Win for me...when the ex thief puts a link on there and says this is the rotor lock i use...i bought that for my old bike and i am going to start carrying it around with me again...I felt safe with my garage until i read this AMA.

Everybody with a motorcycle should read that.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Look up Xena motorcycle siren disk brake locks. I carry one when I am on the road going to Superbike or MotoGP races. I had a drunk bump into my bike at a hotel and all hell broke loose.
The motorcycle thief in the AMA shared by 3OFAKIND uses that same lock as do I.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I use the krypt ny chain/lock connected to the same brand ground anchor. I can get the lock through the part of the frame on the left side indicated in blue in the picture on this thread. It's a bit of a hassle, but it just fits. I also put an Oxford disc lock on the front wheel, as well as locking the steering. I also have it covered, and a closed loop security camera pointed at the bike.

This is all while parked in my attached carport, hidden from the street. I live in a city, in a gentrifying neighborhood. I feel it's pretty safe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If they want it bad enough they will get it, I had 2 bikes taken before one at Mid-Ohio race track and one at a Bob Evans parking lot.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If they want it bad enough they will get it, I had 2 bikes taken before one at Mid-Ohio race track and one at a Bob Evans parking lot.
They took your bike while you were eating at Bob Evans?

Reactions: 520FZ09

·
Registered
111 Posts
This thread is dedicated to the best of the best ways to defend your two wheeled machine from falling into the hands of the baddies. Chime in to share what products you have found to work, which are garbage, etc, etc.

Who is using a Kryptonite Chain?

Who is using a Rotor Lock?

Who is sleeping on top of their bike with a gun?
+1 for sleeping on my bike with one of my many guns :D or I park it in my kitchen with a thousand mouse traps set up ... each mouse trap gets a gun

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Here is a good link to read about motorcycle security.

https://rideapart.com/articles/ask-a-motorcycle-thief

The one tip about disk locks, is to put the disk lock on the rear brake disk and not the front. With front disk locks the thief's can quickly swap out the front tire, it takes a lot longer to swap out the back tire. A quick and simple trick to make your bike a little harder to steal.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts