Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best mid price helmet around 3-400$ (noise and heat was important).

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Icon Airmada, if I had to pick one mid priced helmet. It flows air nicely and is reasonably quiet. But the quality is not up to par with Shoei and Arai. But AGV, Bell, and Shark are all worth looking into. Go to Revzilla, motorcycle superstore, cycle gear, ect. and browse helmets by price, see what you like. I have an Icon Alliance from three years ago, I wear occasionally.

Also you may be able to find a closeout Shoei in your size and price range.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Considering you can spend upwards of $800 on a lid - the range makes sense.

I've had 2 in this price range

1. Hjc rps10 - now the rpha 10
2. Shoei qwest

The shoei qwest I got a size too small and had to get rid of it. It vented well and I like the mirror shield but the inner liner was a bit scratchy (and not removable) which was magnified by it being too small.

This will be my last year in my rps 10. It's been a great lid. Pinlock visors, comfy, removable liner and decent venting.

Both of these fit my smh10r communicator well - the shoei actually has cut outs in the helmet for speakers.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
There is a smokin hot deal on an HJC RPHA Cage helmet at Rider's Discount right now. Contact TJ at 866.931.6644 x 817

·
Registered
391 Posts
My dealer gave me a Bell Revolver EVO modular helmet with my bike. Suprisingly quiet for a modular and really comfortable, at least on my noggin. Has the flip down visor too. I'm thinking of getting it painted as the hi-viz yellow clashes with the bike really badly lol.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My dealer gave me a Bell Revolver EVO modular helmet with my bike. Suprisingly quiet for a modular and really comfortable, at least on my noggin. Has the flip down visor too. I'm thinking of getting it painted as the hi-viz yellow clashes with the bike really badly lol.
That helmet is on closeout at Revzilla right now for $100 (hi-viz only)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Ive always bought on closeout. Never spent more than $160.

My last was an EXO1000 that ran $130.
I like shopping Closeout Jackets, but I understand Closeout Helmets can be upwards of 3, 5, 10, even 20 years old.:cool:

·
Registered
768 Posts
HJC changes their colors/patterns somewhat frequently. When they do, the "old" ones can be marked down quite a bit yet still be relatively current. Solids of a particular shell design are also typically less expensive while sharing features with the fancier ones.
I like the brand for their comfort, design and ease of shield replacement.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just got a shoei 1200 and like it alot, remember the fit is the most imporant part of the deal spending alot of money for a helmet that doesn't fit isn't good . Also I always get a snell approved helmet. Remember the old saying $10.00 head $10.00 helmet RR :cool:

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
HJC changes their colors/patterns somewhat frequently. When they do, the "old" ones can be marked down quite a bit yet still be relatively current. Solids of a particular shell design are also typically less expensive while sharing features with the fancier ones.
I like the brand for their comfort, design and ease of shield replacement.
That's what my rps10 was. Granted I don't get a full 5 years out of it (I got mine with 4 to go on the build date) I paid $200 on a $350 helmet.

Will go the extra mile with an Arai or shoei for my next one. Depends on what will fit best.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I owned a ton of Shoei's, but in recent years had a Carbon HJC and now a Bell RS1. I am pretty happy with the Bell. They really turned the company around.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I really want an internal visor but sucks you can't get snell rating with one.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
My wife Peggy rides with a Bell RS1 special edition and she's had lots of helmets over the years of riding and she says it's the most comfortable helmet she's ever owned. She's worn it so much that she bought new cheek pads for it a couple of months ago.

I'm on my second HJC. My first one was the RPS 10, Ben Spies replica and I'm still using that one on the ST1300. I bought a new HJC RPHA Cage earlier this year and that is my other street/track day helmet. It is exactly like the one I posted the smokin hot deal at Rider's Discount, and I can tell you, I gave more than $199 for it and I got it at a discount earlier this year.....it's an excellent helmet in my opinion.

Reactions: DNFDOUG
1 - 20 of 64 Posts