Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Chatterbox a whole back but wasn't ever happy with it? What is everybody using and how is the sound quality?

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have a sena smh10r.

It's easy to set up though hard to figure out pairing with more than one person. Sound quality is good but not as good as in ear headphones - i'm an audio nut but these are sufficient for their purpose. Battery life is great.

1 thing is if you're paired with another headset, you can only listen to music or talk to the person. You can't do both. They have a new unit coming out that does both but it's $230 instead of $160.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have the 10r too, my only complaint is that the unit I received velcro'd onto my helmet, and the velcro starred failing after about 4 months. One day I found the battery on my chinstrap, and another day I had to drop in in my jacket. I emailed support and they sent me a revised battery clip unit that seems more secure. I have two batteries now and a micro USB adapter to charge the spare!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am looking at reviews on the 20s. It's 270 but I want good quality audio for music and reviews for it say it's much better than the 10

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I am looking at reviews on the 20s. It's 270 but I want good quality audio for music and reviews for it say it's much better than the 10
the fact that you can listen to music and talk to others is a huge upgrade. I know you can get bigger speakers for the smh10r but i'm not sure how much they improve the audio quality.

THe other option with that headset is you can hook up your own in ears to the smh10r if you want to go that route too - there is an additional connector you can buy that connects a headphone jack instead of the speakers- i thought about going this route but the act of putting the buds in and then putting my helmet on and having them stay in was too big of a pain in the ass.

If money is not an option i say go with the new model - it seems like a great upgrade -

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have the 10r too, my only complaint is that the unit I received velcro'd onto my helmet, and the velcro starred failing after about 4 months. One day I found the battery on my chinstrap, and another day I had to drop in in my jacket. I emailed support and they sent me a revised battery clip unit that seems more secure. I have two batteries now and a micro USB adapter to charge the spare!
this happened to my brothers unit - i looked over and his battery was hanging around his neck. I just bought my wife one and it seems they have changed the mount for the battery now. It's still velcro but there is a plastic mount piece that velcros to the helmet - then the battery clicks into the mount piece. Not sure if the problem you had was wide enough so that they changed the design...

·
Registered
263 Posts
I wear ear plugs so these devices wouldnt work for me unfortunately. I wish they made something with actual ear buds that go into the ear.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I wear ear plugs so these devices wouldnt work for me unfortunately. I wish they made something with actual ear buds that go into the ear.
i wear ear plugs too - i used to wear foam ones but recently upgraded to no noise plugs - the smh10r works great with them. The no noise i believe are 21db but the foam ones i used were 32db. With both i could hear people and music just fine. With the foam 32db i hate to crank it up to 1 or 2 notches below the max but still worked great and i could hear traffic ambient noise etc.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i wear ear plugs too - i used to wear foam ones but recently upgraded to no noise plugs - the smh10r works great with them. The no noise i believe are 21db but the foam ones i used were 32db. With both i could hear people and music just fine. With the foam 32db i hate to crank it up to 1 or 2 notches below the max but still worked great and i could hear traffic ambient noise etc.
Good info thanks beck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I Use a Sena SMH 10r in a Shoei qwest helmet. What is nice about helmet is that there is round plastic recessed pockets that the speakers fit perfectly and are aligned perfectly with my ears. The Sena SMh 10r has the wired microphone as well as a boom style mic, so you can choose which one you want based on which type of helmet you use. Since mine is a full face I used the wired mic. Others have said that the sound quality for music is not great due to limited base response. I have no problems with the sound quality of the music or the volume either. I find that I keep the volume just above the mid point. I have my set paired with an iphone 5 and stream a local radio station in the morning then listen to my riding playlists other times. The sound quality of phone calls is phenomenal for both me and the person on the other end of the line (as I have been told) I use the siri function of my iphone simply by pressing the middle button on the sena unit for over 2 seconds. I then do what ever I need to with siri. The turn by turn directions on the iphone work very well too on the sena. so far I am very pleased with this set up. My only issue is with my iphone and streaming local radio because it really drains the iphone battery fast. The sena battery life is very good though. I have not used the sena as a communication device with other sena units yet but I would only guess it would do very well at this task also.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have a sena smh10r.

It's easy to set up though hard to figure out pairing with more than one person. Sound quality is good but not as good as in ear headphones - i'm an audio nut but these are sufficient for their purpose. Battery life is great.

1 thing is if you're paired with another headset, you can only listen to music or talk to the person. You can't do both. They have a new unit coming out that does both but it's $230 instead of $160.
I've also got the SMH10r and I'm very happy with it for the most part, plus it's extremely low profile unlike the non r version that doesn't look very aerodynamic. I mostly listen to podcasts while riding but sometimes I'll listen to music and it sounds pretty good, if the base had more oomf it would be perfect.

Reactions: 520FZ09

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have a 20S on the way. Will report back on how it is.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I have been listening to music in my helmet since 2000 and the first generation Rio MP3 player, which was a brick that had to go in a fanny pack. Now I ride with a Sena SM10 as does my wife with the same setup. The latest firmware is great. We can talk up to a mile away on intercom, and can call on the cellphone using the built in speed dial feature. I use an iPod Nano with Bluetooth pairing for the iPod and my phone. I have a modified pair of custom earmolds that are sports monitors with a short cord. The setup is nothing short of amazing.

Electronic device Technology Cable Wire Battery charger

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is anyone using the SMH5-fm. The 10 sounds like the go, but I wanted a fm tuner as well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got one of these from ebay as a temporary measure until I could get a better one however..... Everyone I talk to while on the bike, even people with big expensive headsets say mine is extremely clear. I even dialled in to a work telecon on my old R6 on they could hear me perfect. (I took off a little too hard and someone said I mist be outside and a bike rode by, I had to laugh).

Verdict, I will keep this one as long as it keeps working and after 2 years and $100, I am happy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-x-BT-1..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c345a9a47&_uhb=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts